Brain Bag and Packing Cubes

Up until now, I've used my Brain Bag exclusively to cart around everything I need for work. On my last few out-of-town trips, I've used the Aeronaut (review coming soon) with the Imago, a combination that seems pretty popular here, and it works out great for me.

But I have a couple overnight/2-night trips coming up in the new year, and it struck me that for those, I could just carry the Brain Bag with Brain Cell/Freudian Slip in one of the main compartments and a change of clothes, toiletries in the other.

It seems like it'd be a lot easier to pack clothes neatly in the Brain Bag with the help of Packing Cubes, so yesterday I ordered a large (Aeronaut) cube. I figured it would fill up about 2/3 of the compartment, and maybe I could use my Snake Charmer on top of it.

But then today I saw the new, longer Packing Cube sized for the Western Flyer, and I was wondering if maybe that would be a better utilization of space. It's thinner, though - 3" vs. 4.5" for the Aeronaut cube -- so maybe not. I'm guessing that there's probably not going to be a Packing Cube made that's specifically sized for one of the Brain Bag's large compartments, so any ideas/advice on what combination of the current Packing Cubes -- Aeronaut and/or Western Flyer -- might work best in the Brain Bag?

Thanks.

I called and asked exactly this question last week.
    I urge you to do so too.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I called and asked exactly this question last week.
    I urge you to do so too.
    But if you called and asked this question, did you get an answer? And although my experience is that if you see anything on the Tom Bihn site that you think you'll want, you should order it immediately (if not sooner), before it sells out -- even for laptop bags where you don't have the laptop yet but plan to get it -- I gotta ask: any chance that there will shortly be some of these new packing cubes in new Dyneema colors? It would be awesome and perhaps worth waiting for (the new Western Flyer packing cubes -- not the bag; the preorder for the bag goes in right away).

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    But if you called and asked this question, did you get an answer? .
    It was a long and confusing conversation as I was not all that familiar with the specific models being talked about.

Josh was helpful enough that he went and tried some different fits while we talked. He also commented that there will be some new ones coming that may work well too.

I suggested calling as I called last week and have long since forgotten the details of the call,but it was helpful at the time. There were cubes that he suggested would work but I no longer know which ones.

I am kinda crazed this time of year.

Wish I could help more.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    But then today I saw the new, longer Packing Cube sized for the Western Flyer, and I was wondering if maybe that would be a better utilization of space.
    If we had Western Flyer packing cubes made, I'd try them out and let you know, but the production samples we had of them were sent out for review. We won't have more Western Flyer packing cubes until they're ready to ship in February.

I asked Tom and he said he can maybe give you an answer based on his patterns in about two weeks, but he'd guess that the Western Flyer packing cubes would work better inside of the Brain Bag.

I do agree that Packing Cubes make it easier to pack in just about any bag you're using. They are incredibly efficient.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks, Darcy. I'll try out the large Aeronaut cube that I ordered in the meantime to see how it fits in the Brain Bag, and wait to hear what Tom says about the new one.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I gotta ask: any chance that there will shortly be some of these new packing cubes in new Dyneema colors?
    All of the Sapphire/White Dyneema that we had has been used for the Yarn Stuff Sacks. Tom will be ordering a new color of Dyneema soon (probably Sapphire but maybe a nice green or Cayenne) but it will take about 6 weeks to arrive, so the first batch of Western Flyer Packing Cubes will be made out of the Steel/White Dyneema you're used to.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    All of the Sapphire/White Dyneema that we had has been used for the Yarn Stuff Sacks. Tom will be ordering a new color of Dyneema soon (probably Sapphire but maybe a nice green or Cayenne) but it will take about 6 weeks to arrive, so the first batch of Western Flyer Packing Cubes will be made out of the Steel/White Dyneema you're used to.
    Hi Darcy,

Thanks for the reply. I'll put in a pre-order for the Western Flyer first. I just got the sample pouch, and the Cayenne looks like a terrific color against black (especially), steel, or cocoa (Cordura). However, if I order a RED (looks around for dsg29) Western Flyer I might go for the White/Sapphire Dyneema instead.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0