Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    I'm hoping February or March at the latest . Colors have not been decided, however we will often introduce a bag in several colors and then narrow it down later: in other words more choices early on. And actually Cayenne will not be available in this bag, sorry.

Water bottle capacity

Hmm, what about a 32-oz, 3.15-inch diameter SIGG bottle?

http://www.rei.com/product/750087

I threw out all my Nalgene bottles because they can leach Bisphenol-A, an endocrine disruptor. I don't buy disposable water bottles -- everyone should have a high-quality reusable bottle to go with their high-quality, long-lasting Tom Bihn bag And I can't make it through the day with less than a quart of water...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The water bottle pocket is one of four pockets on the front of the bag - it's not an external mesh thing but rather an internal division of space with its own access. It fits the small water bottles that one might purchase, but also the .5 liter wide-mouth Nalgenes.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Does SIGG make a half-liter size? The Synapse is a small bag!
    I think your bottle will fit in the lower front pocket, horizontally though.
    Do we know anything about the stuff they anodize SIGG bottles with?

Horizontally in lower pocket works for me! Maybe I can put snacks in the upright pocket where a little water bottle would go. The 32-oz SIGG does fit in the water bottle pocket on my older-model Buzz, and fits nicely upright in a medium Cafe Bag.

SIGG does make a smaller bottle, I think 20oz, which would probably fit in the Synapse pocket. And really tiny ones for kids.

I don't know what they anodize with, if anything, but they line the interior with an inert water-based coating of some sort (proprietary, so we'll never know...) The bottles have been tested for leaching any of the chemicals people tend to worry about, including Bisphenol-A and aluminum, into the beverage, but of course, that doesn't say anything about the chemicals we aren't worrying about yet They also claim their exterior paints are safe, or at least free of a lot of heavy metals: http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=5.

I decided to try the SIGG bottle after reading about a test done in Germany: http://www.progressivekid.com/shop/O...20Bottles.aspx

and because I found Klean Kanteens (stainless steel) really unappealing due to their weight, the metallic taste, and the awful sound of screwing a metal lid into a metal bottle. But, if those things don't bother you, the Klean Kanteen is probably as safe as a fork. For a long time I was refilling an 800ml Voss glass bottle ($2.50, wide mouth, and I don't think you can get much more inert than glass), but it was heavy and didn't really hold that much given the weight, I was afraid to try to take it on airplanes, and although it never broke the two times I dropped it, I decided it was time for a new approach

Does SIGG make a half-liter size? The Synapse is a small bag!
    I think your bottle will fit in the lower front pocket, horizontally though.
    Do we know anything about the stuff they anodize SIGG bottles with?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slinstar View Post
    For a long time I was refilling an 800ml Voss glass bottle ($2.50, wide mouth, and I don't think you can get much more inert than glass), but it was heavy and didn't really hold that much given the weight, I was afraid to try to take it on airplanes, and although it never broke the two times I dropped it, I decided it was time for a new approach
    I have broken 375ml Voss bottles on multiple occasions. Wasn't pretty.

I liked Voss because of their form factor, but the same form factor = a LOT less volume. Now I use the above-mentioned larger bottle as a desktop solution. It works, but still isn't ideal. I am now testing POM tea glasses for desktop, and am looking into SIGG bottles for on-the-go. For now though, I'm horribly addicted to VitaminWater.

See, this is why I needed my Ego - to carry both water + umbrella, or on some occasions, two bottles of water! Got to say though, the smaller Voss bottles are awesome to have in the water bottle holder of the Ego, while it's on your hip... like a scabbard! If anyone attacks me, I could whip out the glass bottle and do some damage!!! =D

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Very interesting discussion re: water bottles! I used plastic water bottles for a while but don't anymore unless I'm super thirsty and need to buy a bottle.

I bought a Sigg bottle (one of the ones still made in Switzerland) but honestly don't use it that much, though this thread has inspired me to get into that habit! I haven't seen Voss bottles but I have been using San Pellegrino bottles refilled with filtered water for the car. Those are pretty awkward.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hehe, I've put a SIGG bottle on my xmas list ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hehe, I've put a SIGG bottle on my xmas list ;p
    You might want to know that the Classic Traveler SIGG bottles are made in Switzerland while others, especially ones with designs on them, are not (I don't know where they are made -- it doesn't say.) I trust that the bottles made in Switzerland are made with some kind of oversight and in accordance with the worker/product safety and environmental laws of Switzerland.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Sigg w/ Sport top:

Regarding the Sigg bottles, make sure you get the Sport-top or Active top or whatever they call it--it has a bubble cap that flips open to reveal a lockable spout. Even when UNlocked it doesn't leak! They don't give directions on how to use it. Since it doesn't leak water even when unlocked you need to sort of push it into your lips when you raise it up and sip from it (and you have to use some sucking action-the water will not just drizzle out on its own). At first I didn't think I'd like it, but it's brilliant. Easy to use once you've done it a few times. Perfect for going everywhere, hiking, biking...

I'm hoping February or March at the latest . Colors have not been decided, however we will often introduce a bag in several colors and then narrow it down later: in other words more choices early on. And actually Cayenne will not be available in this bag, sorry.
    I hope that there will be a nice subtle color option, like all black (but with bright inner lining, of course ).

I'm so excited for this backpack! I've been waiting for a long time now. I unfortunately might have to buy another backpack in the meantime, though =/ It's gotten to the point where I really just cannot stand my current backpack and I need something to travel with this christmas break (flying through London and can only have one carry-on, and my Imago isn't nearly big enough for that).

We'll see. Maybe I can put up with my backpack for a few more months. But my back hates it!

I'm with timarelay -- I'm really anxious to see the Synapse. Will there be any pictures before Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    I'm with timarelay -- I'm really anxious to see the Synapse. Will there be any pictures before Christmas?
    Maybe, maybe not! If there are new pictures, they'll be of Tom hiking with it over the Christmas break.

Any news??

Any news??

Quote Originally Posted by slinstar View Post
    Any news??
    Happy to know I'm not the only one eagerly waiting news. I can't wait to see pictures. I've been waiting for a tom bihn backpack for over a year now. I really hope this ends up being the one that works for me (and that I can afford it).

The Western Flyer photos look cool. Will we see shots of the Synapse soon?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0