Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kengreen View Post
    I've watched this video many times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzl6AnMxP7U

The loving attention to detail is fantastic, and that video alone will likely help Tom Bihn sell a few bags.

My only complaint with the video is that there isn't a shot at the end of everything that was unpacked. It would have offered a nice perspective to see everything that was pulled out in a pile out of the bag. For me personally, I wanted to see the Klean Kateen bottle that was stored in the side pocket. I've watched that part of the video (2:20) again and again, and the angle is bad - it's really hard to tell what size bottle that is.

I have a 27 oz. Klean Kanteen bottle and suspect that it may be too tall for the side pocket of the Synapse - that the bottle in the video must be a smaller size. Can someone please confirm what size bottle that is? Or let me know the height of the side pockets of the Synapse? My 27 oz bottle is 9" tall without a cap, so about 11" tall with sport cap.

I'm pretty confident my bottle would fit in the center pocket of the Synapse (since it claims to swallow liter bottles), but it would be nice to have the option of carrying it in the side pocket as well.

Thanks.
    hi kengreen,

that is an excellent idea! let me add a shot of everything to the video at the end. the side pocket will hold the 18oz klean kanteen bottle - that is what you saw in the video. and the center water bottle pocket will hold your 27oz klean kanteen bottle nicely.

let me know if there is anything else you would like to see added to the video.

Thanks so much for your willingness to post the videos. It is the closest thing to actually being in the store and feeling the product.

Having the pile of stuff at the end is all I'd really want. Your videos are perfect for the online shopper: you are enthusiastic, thorough, and aren't trying to be "cute" in the video (it's clear the video is about the product and not you).

I think you may have given me an excuse to get an 18oz Klean Kanteen.

One thing I'm still curious about with the Synapse center pocket (the water bottle pocket): what does holding a liter bottle/27oz Klean Kanteen do to the cargo space in the bag? And what does it do to the exterior lines of the bag? In other words, where is the bulge? (never thought I'd be posting that question in a public forum.....)

Does carrying a big water bottle cause the exterior of the Synapse to change? Or is the space taken up in the interior? I know there is a warning about being careful when carrying a netbook or Kindle, because the water bottle pocket sits directly in front of the place where the computer would be carried. Trying to guess here, I'd think that a large bottle would take up some space of the main compartment, and if you stuffed the main compartment, you might see a bulge from the outside.

None of this matters too much. I'm getting a Synapse. Just curious about some of the details. The only thing that might cause me to return the Synapse is if it ends up looking too small on me. I want a small backpack for short hikes, day trip bag, weekend family outing, etc. But I don't want to look like I'm carrying a kid backpack. I'm 5'10" and 195. Not a huge guy, but quite far from svelte. My Brain Bag fits me (and I love it), but it looks like a BIG bag, and is way too big for what I'm looking for in the Synapse.

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks so much for your willingness to post the videos. It is the closest thing to actually being in the store and feeling the product.
    In some ways maverick's videos are better than being in the store, since I doubt many of us would arrive with all the stuff that gets packed into these bags as displayed in the videos. The really nice thing about maverick's videos is the fact that they're made by someone who regularly uses these bags, so you can see the kind of packing solutions and content usage that you, as another user of the product, might actually adopt.

I'm getting a Synapse. Just curious about some of the details. The only thing that might cause me to return the Synapse is if it ends up looking too small on me. I want a small backpack for short hikes, day trip bag, weekend family outing, etc. But I don't want to look like I'm carrying a kid backpack. I'm 5'10" and 195. Not a huge guy, but quite far from svelte. My Brain Bag fits me (and I love it), but it looks like a BIG bag, and is way too big for what I'm looking for in the Synapse.
    Take a look at the posts in a question thread asking about the relative size of the the Smart Alec and Synapse starting with this post and reading down to the post that links to another maverick video that shows the Synapse inside a Ruck's Sack inside a Smart Alec. The other posts contain links to useful descriptions and pictures, so read those, too. Your Brain Bag is much bigger than the Smart Alec, but this should give you an idea. There are also pictures of maverick wearing the Synapse on the product page and elsewhere in the forum, so you can calibrate the relative sizes of the bags on mavericak, for example by comparing to pictures of marverick wearing the smart alec. Since the bag was field tested on people who are 5' 1" tall, as well as Tom who is 6' tall (according to earlier posts in this thread), it should work for you.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    In some ways maverick's videos are better than being in the store, since I doubt many of us would arrive with all the stuff that gets packed into these bags as displayed in the videos. The really nice thing about maverick's videos is the fact that they're made by someone who regularly uses these bags, so you can see the kind of packing solutions and content usage that you, as another user of the product, might actually adopt.
    I agree. He's doing a great service to both Tom Bihn and Tom Bihn customers.

Take a look at the posts in a question thread asking about the relative size of the the Smart Alec and Synapse starting with this post and reading down to the post that links to another maverick video that shows the Synapse inside a Ruck's Sack inside a Smart Alec. The other posts contain links to useful descriptions and pictures, so read those, too. Your Brain Bag is much bigger than the Smart Alec, but this should give you an idea. There are also pictures of maverick wearing the Synapse on the product page and elsewhere in the forum, so you can calibrate the relative sizes of the bags on mavericak, for example by comparing to pictures of marverick wearing the smart alec. Since the bag was field tested on people who are 5' 1" tall, as well as Tom who is 6' tall (according to earlier posts in this thread), it should work for you.
    Thanks. Trust me, I've looked at all the pictures and videos I can find. And read the descriptions (we are a tad obsessive about our bags, aren't we?) The video of the Synapse fitting inside the Ruck Sac is what got me worried about the small size. I have always considered the Ruck Sac a very small frame or kids backpack - definitely too small for me. But I could be mistaken.

This is just one of those things that won't be apparent until I'm actually wearing the backpack. I have a pretty good idea that the Synapse is exactly what I'm looking for. But that very last part of shopping - actually having the bag, with my stuff in it, on my back - hasn't happened yet.

Volunteer Moderator
    One thing I'm still curious about with the Synapse center pocket (the water bottle pocket): what does holding a liter bottle/27oz Klean Kanteen do to the cargo space in the bag? And what does it do to the exterior lines of the bag? In other words, where is the bulge? (never thought I'd be posting that question in a public forum.....)

Does carrying a big water bottle cause the exterior of the Synapse to change? Or is the space taken up in the interior? I know there is a warning about being careful when carrying a netbook or Kindle, because the water bottle pocket sits directly in front of the place where the computer would be carried. Trying to guess here, I'd think that a large bottle would take up some space of the main compartment, and if you stuffed the main compartment, you might see a bulge from the outside.
    actually, the way the compartments in the front of the synapse have been sewn together is genius! the way the front middle compartment for the water bottle has been positioned between the left and right front compartments creates a cavity in that front middle pocket for a water bottle such that the bottle neither causes a reduction of storage space in the main compartment of the synapse, nor does it cause a bungle. let me get you a picture of the outside of the bag and of the inside of the main compartment when there is a one liter water bottle in the front middle compartment.

None of this matters too much. I'm getting a Synapse. Just curious about some of the details. The only thing that might cause me to return the Synapse is if it ends up looking too small on me. I want a small backpack for short hikes, day trip bag, weekend family outing, etc. But I don't want to look like I'm carrying a kid backpack. I'm 5'10" and 195. Not a huge guy, but quite far from svelte. My Brain Bag fits me (and I love it), but it looks like a BIG bag, and is way too big for what I'm looking for in the Synapse.
    the synapse is perfect for short hikes, day trips and weekend family outings (i've actually used it for all of those purposes). i also take it to the office with my laptop and more.

i'm 5' 8", and i weigh about 200 lb., and the synapse feels very comfortable on me. i don't think it looks at all kiddish.

The video of the Synapse fitting inside the Ruck Sac is what got me worried about the small size. I have always considered the Ruck Sac a very small frame or kids backpack - definitely too small for me. But I could be mistaken.
    oh dear - i'm sorry for the confusion. i should explain... the reason that video shows the synapse coming out of the ruck's sac is because the ruck's sac has a larger main compartment than the main compartment of the synapse. but the synapse overall is a larger bag than the ruck's sac - the synapse will hold more than the ruck's sac.

the ruck's sac is also designed to fit well on people with smaller frames, including children, while, as moriond mentioned, the synapse fits well on those who are 5' 1" to 6' tall.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    actually, the way the compartments in the front of the synapse have been sewn together is genius! the way the front middle compartment for the water bottle has been positioned between the left and right front compartments creates a cavity in that front middle pocket for a water bottle such that the bottle neither causes a reduction of storage space in the main compartment of the synapse, nor does it cause a bungle. let me get you a picture of the outside of the bag and of the inside of the main compartment when there is a one liter water bottle in the front middle compartment.
    Wow. Thanks.

the synapse is perfect for short hikes, day trips and weekend family outings (i've actually used it for all of those purposes). i also take it to the office with my laptop and more.

i'm 5' 8", and i weigh about 200 lb., and the synapse feels very comfortable on me. i don't think it looks at all kiddish.
    Thanks. I think the Synapse is exactly what I'm looking for. Seeing the photos of the Synapse on you, and knowing you are 5-8, 200 really helped. It does not look like a kid's backpack on you.

oh dear - i'm sorry for the confusion. i should explain... the reason that video shows the synapse coming out of the ruck's sac is because the ruck's sac has a larger main compartment than the main compartment of the synapse. but the synapse overall is a larger bag than the ruck's sac - the synapse will hold more than the ruck's sac.

the ruck's sac is also designed to fit well on people with smaller frames, including children, while, as moriond mentioned, the synapse fits well on those who are 5' 1" to 6' tall.
    Yeah, I realized that when I looked at both bags' specs (19 liters vs. 16 liters). I had come so close to ordering a Ruck Sac for one of my daughters, that I've always just had the idea it's a kid's backpack in my head.

Volunteer Moderator

Weight of Synapse in Dyneema

Darcy,

Is there an estimated weight for the Synapse in Dyneema? I'm curious about whether it weighs in slightly under 1 lb with the Dyneema used in place of Cordura for the outside. I couldn't find any additions to the description on the product page.

Thanks,

moriond

Darcy,

Would it be possible to use the Dyneema Synapse as a "packing cube" inside of the Brain Bag?

And... the shipping date, how late in November?

Volunteer Moderator
    I had my doubts about how a Synapse in Dyneema would look.

But the picture posted on the blog is gorgeous!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Darcy,

Would it be possible to use the Dyneema Synapse as a "packing cube" inside of the Brain Bag?

And... the shipping date, how late in November?
    You could - it will fit in the Brain Bag - but, surprisingly, because the Dyneema/nylon Synapse has an exterior and an interior of the Dyneema/nylon fabric, it's not all that much more malleable than the Cordura version. And you wouldn't want to bend the back foam. The Packing Cube Backpacks might be a better choice for that purpose.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Darcy,

Is there an estimated weight for the Synapse in Dyneema? I'm curious about whether it weighs in slightly under 1 lb with the Dyneema used in place of Cordura for the outside. I couldn't find any additions to the description on the product page.

Thanks,

moriond
    We're re-doing the weights because of the addition of the pen/pencil pockets and the iPhone/cell phone pocket, but it looks like the weight difference between the Dyneema/nylon and Cordura versions is about seven ounces.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks, Darcy,
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're re-doing the weights because of the addition of the pen/pencil pockets and the iPhone/cell phone pocket, but it looks like the weight difference between the Dyneema/nylon and Cordura versions is about seven ounces.
    I was thinking there would be a slight savings that would take the weight down from 1 lb 8 oz to just about 1 lb. I knew that the back foam meant that you wouldn't gain a lot. I really think this would be a great, light-weight carry-along with my Aeronaut, and I'll gladly pack it flat inside for the luxury of having the fitted pockets, ergonomic design, back foam, etc. compared to using the the packing cube backpack to pack items.

Darn, I'm going to have to start adding to my orders. And since I had everything set to ship together, I won't get to see the cache for a while unless I can move it from shipping with my Synapse order to my order for additional 3D Clear Packing Cube (in Indigo), various additional Kindle size pouches (including the Leaf Green Ultrasuede), etc. that is waiting on the larger size Shop bags to ship.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator

Thumbs up

Darn, I'm going to have to start adding to my orders. And since I had everything set to ship together, I won't get to see the cache for a while unless I can move it from shipping with my Synapse order to my order for additional 3D Clear Packing Cube (in Indigo), various additional Kindle size pouches (including the Leaf Green Ultrasuede), etc. that is waiting on the larger size Shop bags to ship.
    Okay, somehow I missed the LEAF GREEN ULTRASUEDE!!!

Gosh.. I really don't need one.. but so want!!

You could - it will fit in the Brain Bag - but, surprisingly, because the Dyneema/nylon Synapse has an exterior and an interior of the Dyneema/nylon fabric, it's not all that much more malleable than the Cordura version. And you wouldn't want to bend the back foam. The Packing Cube Backpacks might be a better choice for that purpose.
    I was so happy to find, in the picture of the Dyneema Synapse this morning, that it also had the back foam.

But of course, I forgot all about it when asking about using it as a Packing Cube.

Frankly, I was just thinking of being able to sneak a third bag by putting the Synapse inside the Brain Bag and pack inside and around it.

I find the Brain Bag versus the Swift much easier to deal with when doing any type of serious walking with a Large Cafe Bag as a purse.
    But for sightseeing the Synapse looks like a much better fit.

How likely is it that either the Dyneema or the Cordura version could be squished, unfilled & flat, into the back of a Smart Alec? I ordered a Plum/Solar version for everyday use and a Steel Dyneema/Solar Dyneema for traveling, once I've unpacked.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0