Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    All of my Tom Bihn bags but one which is Sapphire have Steel as an inside color.
    The Synapse will definitely be lined in Steel in most exterior color combinations.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Another new voice for the forums

Hello everybody,

I just joined the Tom Bihn forums.

I found the images of the prototype "Synapse" backpack very interesting.

Now, a few questions:

Will a Synapse be able to hold a Freudian Slip?

If so, will it hold either FS variety?

Will the Synapse have just one main compartment? Any dividers, or inner clips, etc.?

Will TB offer an option for the top strap to have extra padding so it will be easier to hold the bag by the top while loaded using one hand?

Will a sternum strap be standard?

Will the Synapse be machine washable?

Will there be any key hooks or other loops on the outside of the bag from which one can hang keys or a camera bag or umbrella for quick access?

Thanks in advance,

The Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Hello everybody,

I just joined the Tom Bihn forums.
    Welcome!

Will a Synapse be able to hold a Freudian Slip?
    No, the Freudian Slip won't fit in the Synapse.

Will the Synapse have just one main compartment? Any dividers, or inner clips, etc.?
    One main compartment, but there's more that we will reveal about that later.

Will TB offer an option for the top strap to have extra padding so it will be easier to hold the bag by the top while loaded using one hand?
    No - the bag is designed to be carried as a backpack, and the top handle is there so that you can quickly grab/pick up the bag and put it on.

Will a sternum strap be standard?
    Yes - the Synapse will come with removable sternum and waist straps.

Will the Synapse be machine washable?
    No - no TOM BIHN bags are machine washable. See here for how to care for them.

Will there be any key hooks or other loops on the outside of the bag from which one can hang keys or a camera bag or umbrella for quick access?
    No. The keys and umbrella can be stored inside the front pockets.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you!

I'm still wondering about the weight of the bag, please...

travelwkid

Quote Originally Posted by travelwkid View Post
    I'm still wondering about the weight of the bag, please...

travelwkid
    I should be able to post the weight this week. The first prototypes didn't have Dyneema/nylon as the lining fabric, and the final version does, so that will affect the weight.

Thanks Darcy!

travelwkid

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Synapse will definitely be lined in Steel in most exterior color combinations.
    Smile is getting wider by the minute!

This is really one of those times when I wish a transporter (Star Trek style) was available.

I could be in Seattle tomorrow to see the Synapse and the Field Notebook.

shoulder straps?

i have used daypacks from other brands (e.g. karrimor spectre 20) when travelling to tropical countries, and they leave horrible sweat marks across both shoulders when i remove the bag. i suspect that this is because the straps are thickly padded with sponge for comfort. what are the synapse's shoulder straps like?

Quote Originally Posted by bagg View Post
    i have used daypacks from other brands (e.g. karrimor spectre 20) when travelling to tropical countries, and they leave horrible sweat marks across both shoulders when i remove the bag. i suspect that this is because the straps are thickly padded with sponge for comfort. what are the synapse's shoulder straps like?
    I'm not sure a thinner strap would help that problem. My medium cafe bag leaves sweat marks under the strap if it's hot enough, and that's pretty much as thin as straps get.

From what I remember the Synapse straps are pretty padded. I wouldn't want backpack straps that weren't.
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches, Shop Bag in Steel Dyneema (love it!), Synapse in Steel/Steel (love it too!), and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

I was lucky enough to get some "alone" time with the Synapse today due to an alignment of the planets and a small twist of fate that put me in need of a Braincell for my wife's new laptop (HP dv3t), getting the new 2XXLT size Braincell for my own computer (HP HDX18t), and a small pug sneaking onto the elevator and taking a tour of the seventh floor just before I arrived at the store... 10 minutes early.

While Tom and the ever gracious and extremely helpful Darcy were distracted by locating and securing all the canine delinquents (well, Ichiro appeared to be chillin' but you could tell he was daring the pug to get into mischief) I was able to thoroughly examine and assess the Synapse. While I found it wasn't suitable for my wife's use, I was really impressed with it as a day/hiking pack.

First off, it is small. I sat it next to my Brainbag and it barely came up to the top compression straps. It's even shorter than the Buzz. However, the arrangement of the pockets and internal space is really well done. The only thing I didn't see was a mesh outside pocket for wet umbrellas, but that's getting really nitpicky and I don't want to imply that as a defect in the design. The bag is small, but that is deceptive as it provides you with plenty of room for:
    • a small (~13") laptop in a soft sleeve
    • a short-handled umbrella
    • a water bottle
    • a microwavable 24 oz. lunch container
    • lightweight windbreaker
    • possibly a small pocket book
    • room for keys, pens, mp3 player, and a cell phone
    I know this because I crammed all them in there while Tom and Darcy were distracted by the dogs and other customers. It was remarkably easy to load and unload it: I got everything I listed out of my Brain Bag, into the Synapse, and back out in 3 minutes tops. With practice I could probably cut that down to 60 seconds.

Unfortunately, my wife also carries her large purse* in her backpack as she commutes to and from work. That last bit of added luggage ruled out the Synapse for her personally, but the backpack itself is pretty awesome. If I had a small laptop rather than this gorgeous beast of mine, I could easily see myself using a Synapse exclusively, both for daily use and swapping out contents for a day hike or a river run. I liked it so much, I spent 20 minutes trying to justify owing one when I already have 2 cases, 3 duffels and a Brainbag. All in all I think Tom has created an truly excellent back pack that is sized and arranged perfectly for people who want all their modern accoutrement without including the clutter. *looks pointedly at wife*

PS: I intentionally left the camera in the car so I wouldn't be tempted.

*(don't ask... some women just have to have their purse on hand AT ALL TIMES... I gave up trying to understand it years ago because whenever I asked all got was mutterings about the "zombie apocalypse")
    I've got a 2XXLT H. Brain Cell (fits my H-P HDX18t like a glove), a Sapphire/Black Brain Bag with a matching Snake Charmer, a 2XL Vertical Soft Cell, a Sapphire wallet, a Size 4 H. Brain Cell for my wife's laptop and... a school boy's crush on Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeD. View Post
    [*]a microwavable 24 oz. lunch container
    Can you measure and tell me what size your lunch container is?

I need to be sure that my 7 3/4" x 5 3/4" lunch box will fit in there and stay flat.

Thanks!

Audrey

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeD. View Post
    I was lucky enough to get some "alone" time with the Synapse today due to an alignment of the planets and a small twist of fate that put me in need of a Braincell for my wife's new laptop (HP dv3t), getting the new 2XXLT size Braincell for my own computer (HP HDX18t), and a small pug sneaking onto the elevator and taking a tour of the seventh floor just before I arrived at the store... 10 minutes early.

While Tom and the ever gracious and extremely helpful Darcy were distracted by locating and securing all the canine delinquents (well, Ichiro appeared to be chillin' but you could tell he was daring the pug to get into mischief) I was able to thoroughly examine and assess the Synapse. While I found it wasn't suitable for my wife's use, I was really impressed with it as a day/hiking pack.

First off, it is small. I sat it next to my Brainbag and it barely came up to the top compression straps. It's even shorter than the Buzz. However, the arrangement of the pockets and internal space is really well done. The only thing I didn't see was a mesh outside pocket for wet umbrellas, but that's getting really nitpicky and I don't want to imply that as a defect in the design. The bag is small, but that is deceptive as it provides you with plenty of room for:
    • a small (~13") laptop in a soft sleeve
    • a short-handled umbrella
    • a water bottle
    • a microwavable 24 oz. lunch container
    • lightweight windbreaker
    • possibly a small pocket book
    • room for keys, pens, mp3 player, and a cell phone
    I know this because I crammed all them in there while Tom and Darcy were distracted by the dogs and other customers. It was remarkably easy to load and unload it: I got everything I listed out of my Brain Bag, into the Synapse, and back out in 3 minutes tops. With practice I could probably cut that down to 60 seconds.

Unfortunately, my wife also carries her large purse* in her backpack as she commutes to and from work. That last bit of added luggage ruled out the Synapse for her personally, but the backpack itself is pretty awesome. If I had a small laptop rather than this gorgeous beast of mine, I could easily see myself using a Synapse exclusively, both for daily use and swapping out contents for a day hike or a river run. I liked it so much, I spent 20 minutes trying to justify owing one when I already have 2 cases, 3 duffels and a Brainbag. All in all I think Tom has created an truly excellent back pack that is sized and arranged perfectly for people who want all their modern accoutrement without including the clutter. *looks pointedly at wife*

PS: I intentionally left the camera in the car so I wouldn't be tempted.

*(don't ask... some women just have to have their purse on hand AT ALL TIMES... I gave up trying to understand it years ago because whenever I asked all got was mutterings about the "zombie apocalypse")
    I'm drooling. From your description it will easily fit my side effect, a water bottle, and anything else I carry on a daily basis. Did you try it on at all and if so was it comfortable.

Thanks for sharing your findings about the Synapse BigMikeD.

The lunch box tidbits, the comparison with the Brain Bag and the transfer of stuff from the Brain Bag to the Synapse is extremely helpful.

You should go to the store more often and give us the latest, it is thoroughly appreciated.

However, I am one of those people who must carry their Large Cafe Bag with them everywhere. I usually add a Swift as well.

I need reading material, food and drink in case I am stranded somewhere.
    I live in an area with very minimal public transportation and sometimes need to do some errands walking in a town not friendly to pedestrian or bike riders.

In summer it is usually from the 70' to the 90's outdoor during business hours for me that means hat and sunglasses but the building air conditioning is set so low that I will get a cold if I don't wear a cardigan inside...

It would take a volume to explain why I need my stuff but I don't want to take too much of the thread space.

You wife is not alone when she says she needs to carry her purse.

When my husband ask the same question I answer it is the weather and I need my stuff.

The more I hear about the Synapse, the more I think it is going to replace the Swift as the second bag.
    Especially since I saw the cutest notebook and showed it to my husband who also said that it was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    Can you measure and tell me what size your lunch container is?

I need to be sure that my 7 3/4" x 5 3/4" lunch box will fit in there and stay flat.
    It's roughly 5 1/2" tall by 6" wide and had to go in sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    Did you try it on at all and if so was it comfortable.
    I did not, as I was only trying to assess it as a replacement for my wife's current Fred Meyer B-T-S Special. Comfort is subjective anyway and my comments would only have value if you were built like Drew Carey

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Thanks for sharing your findings about the Synapse BigMikeD.

The lunch box tidbits, the comparison with the Brain Bag and the transfer of stuff from the Brain Bag to the Synapse is extremely helpful.

You should go to the store more often and give us the latest, it is thoroughly appreciated.
    You are most welcome. It was my humble pleasure to visit the store but I am reluctant to spend too much time around Darcy lest she realize that I'm stalking her.
    I've got a 2XXLT H. Brain Cell (fits my H-P HDX18t like a glove), a Sapphire/Black Brain Bag with a matching Snake Charmer, a 2XL Vertical Soft Cell, a Sapphire wallet, a Size 4 H. Brain Cell for my wife's laptop and... a school boy's crush on Darcy

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0