Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

A few questions...

I got my Ego the other day and have been loving it! However, a couple of things have come up that make me think I might have been better off with the Super Ego. So if someone could answer a couple questions that would be very helpful.

1) What are the dimensions of the Super Ego's main compartment? I measured the Ego's main compartment and got 15"x13x4.5". Just curious because Ego seems a little more cramped than I expected and I'd like to know how much larger an area the Super Ego would provide.

2) Are the front open pockets on the Super Ego larger than the ones on the Ego? They are just a bit too small for me to comfortably get my hands into. I remember reading that all the Super Ego pockets are bigger than those on the Ego, but I can't recall where.

3) Are the water bottle pockets on the Super Ego larger than on the Ego? My 24 oz Nalgene BARELY fits on the Ego, and only with way too much effort.

Even if I end up exchanging for a Super Ego, I'll try and post a review of the Ego with photos in the near future. My girlfriend suggested that I just keep the Ego AND buy a Super Ego... but thats just crazy, right?

Thanks

The review of the Ego, and Super Ego at the following website.
    The Gadgeteer Super Ego / Ego Review

There are some very good comparo pix that really show the bags together, and on different people. You get a good sense of scale, and size from their review.
    I've never seen an Ego in person; but my SE is huge.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Thanks, I've seen those photos before, actually. Doesn't really answer my questions though. Anyone?

Also, are the stretch-mesh pockets on the Super Ego any bigger than those on the Ego?
    Last edited by judge; 11-01-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Josh

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    1) What are the dimensions of the Super Ego's main compartment?
    I just measured one and it is 16.5 x 14 x 4.75 inches

2) Are the front open pockets on the Super Ego larger than the ones on the Ego?
    They are larger. The opening on the Ego is roughly 4.75 inches across whereas on the Super Ego it is roughly 5.5 inches across.

3) Are the water bottle pockets on the Super Ego larger than on the Ego?
    The water bottle pockets are larger on the Super Ego but it's hard to give a good idea of how much larger. I tested out a large Nalgene bottle and it did fit but still took a lot of effort. Once the mesh became accustomed to the bottle though it would probably get easier. Sort of like breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Also, are the stretch-mesh pockets on the Super Ego any bigger than those on the Ego?
    The mesh pockets are larger on the Super Ego than on the Ego. Measuring the angled opening on the Super Ego, I got a measurement of 5.75 inches and the Ego is 4.5 inches. The bottom of the mesh pocket is 2.75 inches on the Super Ego and 2.5 inches on the Ego so not much difference there.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for taking the time do that, Josh! It was very helpful. Sounds like the Super Ego will address some of the things I don't like about the Ego. Hopefully the Super Ego will fit my body as well as the Ego does. Now I just need to see if I can rationalize keeping both the Ego and Super Ego...

Give the Ego to your girlfriend? Sounds like she was hinting that way anyway.

I'm way ahead of you. She actually did like the Ego, but it's too big, plus she finds it a bit too masculine looking. She seems to enjoy the Imago, but she doesn't like any of the available colors, unfortunately.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0