Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Absolute vs. Simple Straps, & ways of wearing the ID

Thanks for all of the information from my last post asking questions about the ID. I'm now decided on it. All I have to do is decide on a strap. I'm trying to decide between the Absolute and Simple Strap. I know the main difference between them, that the Absolute is better for larger loads, etc. But in my usual overthinking style, I have another question.

Simply, I'd like to know how long the actual pad of the Absolute Strap is (the part that's actually meant to bear the load on one's shoulder). Let me explain why: I usually wear my messenger bag on one shoulder, but sometimes I wear it across my chest. Because of this, the Simple Strap seems to be advantageous because its pad moves. The point at which the strap contacts my shoulder (and thus the point on the strap requiring padding) is different depending on whether I'm wearing the bag on my shoulder or across my chest. So the Simple Strap would allow me to easily switch between the different ways of wearing the bag just by sliding the pad. These two points are pretty close, however, as I found out by checking with my current bag. If the pad of the Absolute Strap is long enough to cover both points, then the Simple Strap loses this advantage. If it isn't long enough, using the Absolute Strap would require my adjusting the strap every time I wanted to change the way I'm wearing the bag.

Thanks for bearing with me!

I have a large Cafe Bag and used the Simple strap all Spring/Summer long, I have just upgraded to the Absolute Strap.

The Simple Strap padding moved around and needed to be ajusted everytime I went from one shoulder to crossover the body. I believe the Simple Strap is a tad longer than the Absolute Strap but the comfort and stability the Absolute strap offers is well worth ordering it.

You could do what I did, I ordered the Cafe Bag with a simple strap and an extra Absolute Strap.

I knew I would get an Aeronaute when I ordered the Cafe Bag and needed a shoulder strap for it.
    I feel that the Simple Strap movable padding is perfect with the Aeronaute or any other bags if one just need a strong and durable strap to grab a heavy bag from taxi to plane/train/bus overhead or to be left in hotel room/cruise ship cabin.

Edited to say that:
    If I were you I would order the ID with the Absolute Shoulder Strap.

I would also order an additional Shoulder Stap from the accessories menu because the stand alone straps have the clips hardware that enable you to clip the strap to a Brain Cell, Aeronaute or another bag if you need to carry them on your shoulder or cross body while standing for an extended period of time.

Think crowded subways, airports or goverment offices lines.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-29-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Like Backpack, I have a large Cafe bag and I heartily echo backpack's comments. I initially had the Simple strap but had to upgrade to an Absolute strap for my bag since the padding on the simple strap kept moving and ended up everywhere but on my shoulder. I really like the Absolute strap because it stays on my shoulder, whether the bag is worn on the shoulder or across the body. I don't have an ID bag, but on the Cafe bag, the padding on the Absolute strap is long enough to be comfortable no matter how I wear the bag. The padding is also is a bit stretchy when weight is put on it (which would elongate the padded part a tad) so that might factor in your decision-making.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The pad on the Absolute Strap is about 13 1/2".

Do you guys mean the Standard Strap? That is the strap that comes with the ID, Large Cae Bag, etc. The real http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD...Shoulder Strap has attachments sewn-in that clip on to d-rings. Just FYI!!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I think that's what we mean the Standard Strap that comes with the Cafe Bags and that has no hardware.

We (winter and I) like the Absolute Strap better on our Cafe Bags and I imagine it would be the best choice for the ID and Imago.

I also said that an extra Real Absolute Shoulder Strap (with hardware) is always a great backup to have in case one wants to take along a Brain Cell by itself or an Aeronaute on the shoulder with a Brain Bag or a Ruck Sack on the back.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-30-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The pad on the Absolute Strap is about 13 1/2".
    ...which is almost precisely the length it would need to be so as to be worn on the shoulder or across the chest without needing to adjust the strap, according to my calculations. Seriously, this is just creepy. Some bags are well designed; others are the product of unholy alliances with The Bag Gods. Thank heavens Tom Bihn & Co. use their powers for good.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
    Thank heavens Tom Bihn & Co. use their powers for good.
    hehe!

FYI, I did include the rubber ends of the strap that extend beyond the neoprene pad in the length of the pad.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0