Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

seh

Brain Cell sizing: IBM T40p

I just placed an order for a Size 4 Brain Cell to be used in conjunction with an ID bag, and now I'm wondering if I'll have a fit problem with my computer.

The IBM T40p is 0.9" deeper than the T40 due to an extra-large battery that sticks out the back, giving an overall dimension of

W 12.2"
    D 10.9"
    H 1.0"

You can see this battery protrusion in the ThinkPad T40/T41 Visual Tour, selecting "Battery Life" and waiting for the "High Capacity" battery to fly in.

The Brain Cell Fit List gives the Size 4 dimensions as approximately 13.5" x 10" x 1.25". Will I have room for that extra 0.9"? The only other Brain Cell compatible with the ID bag is the Size 5, and that one is even shorter with a 9.5" depth.

Please advise. I'd prefer not to, um, stick out.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, your T40p will not fit inside the Size 4 Brain Cell. You would not be able to close top flaps. You will need a Size 3 Brain Cell or a Transporter by Trager & neither of these will fit in the ID. For a similar type of bag, I would recommend the Courier Laptop by Trager with the Transporter insert.

This is a great bag. Lots of room, many pockets, and the same great protection as the Tom Bihn Brain Cells.

I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for you that works with the ID bag.

Cheers!
    http://tombihn.com

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

-Dr. Seuss

seh
    Unfortunately, your T40p will not fit inside the Size 4 Brain Cell. You would not be able to close top flaps.
    The good news is that it turns out that it does fit -- almost. The computer fits and the flaps close over it, but don't completely lap and lay flat over the protruding battery without serious tugging. It's definitely good enough, though. There's no way the computer will fall out. It just looks a little weird.

I experimented with adjusting the velcro seam at the bottom of the interior "sling." It didn't give enough extra vertical room to warrant risking the weaker connection at the bottom.

If I would have tried it in the store before buying, I might have concluded that I should look for a different solution. But having ordered the bag online and being so impressed with every aspect of both the ID and the Brain Cell, I will gladly accept the slightly lumpy closure.

Whether you add the T40p/41p to your fit list is up to you. I'm here to report that it does fit well enough. In any case, thanks for the warning.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0