Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

nik

A couple questions about The Buzz

I'm pretty interested in getting a Buzz bag, but I had a few questions:

Is it possible to fit a freudian slip in the main pocket? I expect not, but it sure is a nice way to organize stuff.

The laptop sleeve seems to have some little holes or something at the top of the sleeve divider. What are those for?

Can it be worn over either shoulder, or is just designed for one? If so, which one?

What's the loop over the cell phone pocket for?

Does it have any sort of pass-through on the bag for a water bladder or headphones?

About how much should I be able to fit in the main pocket? I'm planning on putting in a power adapter, a couple legal-sized binders and a notebook or two (just regular spiral notebooks). Will that be any problem?

Thanks,
    Nik

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Nick,

The buzz is an amazing bag - I really love carrying mine. It has become my daily bag now.

I think the Freudian Slip would be a little big for the Buzz. You do have organizational compartments in the outer zippered pocket of the Buzz to help you organize your stuff. Beyond that, you can look at pouches as a way to compartmentalize.

I believe the holes at the corner of the laptop sleeve are there as a result of how the corner folds over, but I may be mistaken. If I am, someone please enlighten me :-).

The Buzz can be worn over the left shoulder. I find myself carrying it this way when I am going a short distance (from the parking garage to the office for example).

I believe the loop over the cell phone pocket is for ear phones - you can wrap them and tuck them away in there.

There is no pass through for a water bladder or head phones. There is a water bottle pocket on the side of the Buzz that comfortably holds a one litre bottle. I've managed to get a 1.5 litre bottle in there, but one litre is a safe bet :-). I suppose you could fashion a pass through, but I would want such an opening to be reinforced.

Darcy, would it be possible to design such a pass through in a future revision of the Buzz?

What you are describing should fit, but someone who has legal sized binders should be able to better advise you. It will also depend on the thickness of those binders.

One of the things I love about the Buzz is that it forces me to carry just what I need, and I do manage to stuff it pretty well at times.

My Buzz currently holds two gear pouches (holding a variety of cables and adapters), the power adapter for my Macbook Pro, a small Moleskine notebook, a pen, a flashlight, and a wallet. In the morning, it also had an apple, a banana and an Amy's Texas Burger, but those have found their way elsewhere :-). I am also able to carry a thin letter sized spiral notebook in there when I need to, but it hasn't accompanied me recently.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

maverick

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post

Is it possible to fit a freudian slip in the main pocket? I expect not, but it sure is a nice way to organize stuff.

The laptop sleeve seems to have some little holes or something at the top of the sleeve divider. What are those for?

Can it be worn over either shoulder, or is just designed for one? If so, which one?

Does it have any sort of pass-through on the bag for a water bladder or headphones?

About how much should I be able to fit in the main pocket? I'm planning on putting in a power adapter, a couple legal-sized binders and a notebook or two (just regular spiral notebooks). Will that be any problem?

Thanks,
    Nik

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    maverick has covered most of the answers, but here's my two cents anyway:

The padded laptop sleeve has those little finger holes near the corner as a means of creating the corner "boot" without also creating excess bulk - the padding amply covers the corner of the laptop.

You certainly can wear it over the left shoulder, but if you are traveling fast or far you'll want to carry it as it was designed to be carried: right shoulder with the strap crossing the body in the front.

The loop above the cell phone pocket is primarily designed so that you can put your right thumb in there when you unclip the front side-release buckle: that way the bag won't the kit won't drop to the floor behind you.

The old version of the Buzz had the pass-through slot for ear phones, but our inquiries showed that pretty much no one used it, so we ditched it on the re-design earlier this year. Most folks simply carry their iPods (or simulacra) in the cell phone pocket on the strap.

Regards the legal size binders: I don't know but if you send us dimensions I might be able to better guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post

Thanks,
    Nik

nik
    I just got my Buzz (actually, my lovely parents got it for me as a birthday present) and it's fantastic! Small, but not too small, and it carries well with either a small load (some books, papers, wallet, keys, etc.) or a large load (add a laptop, a water bottle, a couple books, and some laptop accessories).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    nik,

Yay! Glad to hear that the Buzz was the right choice for you.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0