Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I carry my Aeronaut and Imago the exact way that Darcy describes above.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I put the Imago on first, then the Aeronaut, backpack style. The Imago is at my lower hip area while the Aeronaut is on my back. If I need to quickly access my identifcation, I move the Imago around to the front of my body. I love wearing the Aeronaut backpack style when going through the airport!! It's so comfortable and easy to carry this way. It's easier for me to carry it on my back than by the handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by eristick View Post
    I carry my Aeronaut and Imago the exact way that Darcy describes above.
    Do you put the Imago on across your back (strap on left shoulder - bag at right hip)?

I'm about to order and Aeronaut and am wondering how best to carry it with my ID. I'm thinking I'm going to have to carry one or the other in my hand, but curious if anyone has figured out a way to put both on their back.

kengreen, I'm pretty sure Darcy and I are both talking about wearing the Imago crosswise. I usually wear mine with the strap on my right shoulder and the bag on my left hip.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping I'll be able to manage something similar with my Aeronaut and ID. I have the messenger strap for my ID, which is great wearing across your back, but not so great wearing on one shoulder (strap is prone to slip off that way).

My hope is that I can mimic what you are doing and put my ID on as I normally would, moving it to one side, then put the Aeronaut on as a backpack. I did order the Absolute Strap as well, in case that offers a better option.

So with your Imago on first, does the Aeronaut interfere with the strap? Do the backpack straps essentially "lock" your Imago in place?

My hope is that I can mimic what you are doing and put my ID on as I normally would, moving it to one side, then put the Aeronaut on as a backpack. I did order the Absolute Strap as well, in case that offers a better option.

So with your Imago on first, does the Aeronaut interfere with the strap? Do the backpack straps essentially "lock" your Imago in place?
    I use the messenger strap for my Imago. It's slippy enough that you can still adjust where your bag sits a bit (enough to get into it and then move it back into a more comfortable carry position on your hip) even with the Aeronaut on top of it. The Absolute strap is going to stick in place more.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eristick View Post
    I use the messenger strap for my Imago. It's slippy enough that you can still adjust where your bag sits a bit (enough to get into it and then move it back into a more comfortable carry position on your hip) even with the Aeronaut on top of it. The Absolute strap is going to stick in place more.
    I agree with this strap combination. The Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap works well for lighter bags like the Imago, but I prefer the Absolute Strap if I'm carrying a bigger bag like the ID bag. It's very comfortable, and has a broad, flat area that works to distribute the weight, and also sticks in place more as eristick said.

P.S. eristick, I got the same Imago (Hunter Green/Cork/Sage) you posted pictures of in the forums, along with the Q-AM strap. Did you order this strap with your Imago? I was assuming that you had the regular Imago strap.

my method of airport traveling was similiar when I had to make time through the airport, imago strap extended and riding on my hip, aeronaut on my back...

but when i had time, I found it was actually more comfortable to hitch up the imago to normal carry position, nad use an absolute on the aeronaut, dangling down by my hip... if I needed to squeeze through something, I'd just pull the aeronaut around and hold it by the grab handle on hte end in front of me

Quote Originally Posted by scholar View Post
    but when i had time, I found it was actually more comfortable to hitch up the imago to normal carry position, nad use an absolute on the aeronaut, dangling down by my hip... if I needed to squeeze through something, I'd just pull the aeronaut around and hold it by the grab handle on hte end in front of me
    I suspect this is the method I'll be using. The ID is bigger than the Imago, and I can't imagine comfortably carrying the ID at my hip with the Aeronaut on my back. Of course, I'm going to try... but I bet it won't be ideal.

I did order the Abstrap with the Aeronaut, so your description above is what I figured I'd be doing.

I'm curious, though... if you have a bag cross your body (assuming your "normal carrying position of your Imago is across your body), does hanging the Aeronaut off one shoulder cause any problems?

And how are you doing that? Imago on right hip/strap on left? Then Aeronaut on left side? With the strap *on top* of the Imago strap on left shoulder?

I put my Brain Bag (w/Brain Cell) under the seat in front of me, and the Aeronaut in the overhead compartment. I wear the Brain Bag like a normal backpack (both straps), and then carry the Aeronaut with the Absolute Shoulder Strap.

When I'm navigating the narrow aisles of an airplane, I carry both bags by their handles, with one in front of me and one behind me.

I'm amazed at the size of the Aeronaut -- at times it seems so large, but it slides so easily into those overhead compartments, even on a smaller commuter plane and when I felt I had overstuffed it for an 8-day trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0