Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: small brain bag

So this bag we're talking about is the Synapse? Well, I like the name! That's a start. I really, really hope I like this bag. I fairly desperately need a new backpack at this point and if I could get one before I travel for Christmas that would be amazing (traveling through London, only one carry-on allowed; current backpack is terribly uncomfortable and imago is too small).

My imago is wonderful on a daily basis. Like mrae, if I'm carrying something to drink, I just stick it on top of everything (but I need to be careful that bag is closed tightly or it'll slip out!).

I'm really excited to see pictures of both the Synapse and the new Smart Alec.

Oh, and Happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    So this bag we're talking about is the Synapse? Well, I like the name!
    I only just now subscribed to the newsletter--so I don't have the october 30 letter that talks about this Synapse. Did it share any cool information about the bag?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Hihi moriond,

5'4" here, and reporting re: Brain Bag. It's awesome great, for hauling. What I am using it most often for these days is hauling water... take the 24-pack of Aquafina 16.9oz bottles, slash and slice to get the bottles out, load up Brain Bag with bottles, toss packaging, and haul! (Bottled water was never my thing, but the mother is fanatical about water.) But for anything else, just a bit silly huge. School - would almost never need to haul that much around (or if I thought I needed to, I just would find a way around it), and it's awkward to put it on my lap while on the bus, because it's taller than my torso - hits at right about my neck. V. v. uncomfortable. This also goes for the Smart Alec. Lay flat? Still too tall for that. The compression straps help with the excess thickness, but can't do anything about the excess height or width.
    Thanks for the report, Just. I think I'd really like something along the lines of the smaller Brain Bag (Synapse?). I'm thinking about something that I can use for more general purpose daily functions with a backpack design. If I'm not carrying so much, the Buzz is fine. I'll wait to see what comes up with the new design.

Cheers,

moriond

P.S. I've opted for a second (ballistic nylon) Imago in the Hunter/Cork/Sage combination that eristick got. I'm going to try this one with the Q-AM strap. There may not be as many color combination options down the line, and the new pouch sizes in cork also make this attractive.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-01-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added link to blog post about cork organizer pouches

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I only just now subscribed to the newsletter--so I don't have the october 30 letter that talks about this Synapse. Did it share any cool information about the bag?
    Here's what the newsletter had to say about the Synapse:

Main Entry: The Synapse (working title)
    Idea origin: Tom's idea vault, encouragement of TOM BIHN forum members
    Dates: Idea conceived early 07. First prototype spring 07. Pre-order
    in November 07. Ships: late 07/early 08
    1) People who found both the Smart Alec and Brain Bag too big will find the Synapse the perfect size. It features many organizational pockets and a completely new look.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks for posting that . It sounds great. I love my Imago and was looking at the beautiful new colors yesterday. I have shoulder problems and think a backpack might be better given that. Plus because of my body type I end up wearing messenger bags like a shoulder bag instead of across my chest.
    But I might end up with a red Imago instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Here's what the newsletter had to say about the Synapse:

Main Entry: The Synapse (working title)
    Idea origin: Tom's idea vault, encouragement of TOM BIHN forum members
    Dates: Idea conceived early 07. First prototype spring 07. Pre-order
    in November 07. Ships: late 07/early 08
    1) People who found both the Smart Alec and Brain Bag too big will find the Synapse the perfect size. It features many organizational pockets and a completely new look.
    Have you got a picture for us yet Darcy?

Have you got a picture for us yet Darcy?
    In about two weeks...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Well, I went ahead and ordered a black/steel/crimson ID bag today. I decided I couldn't wait until "late 07/early 08" before I saw a Bihn bag arrive at the door. I would have preferred a hunter green Ego bag--but those aren't available right now so I can only kick myself for not buying one this summer when it was in stock.

I still want a backpack, though--so if the synapse fits the bill expect another order from me this summer

By the way, how "limited edition" are the special straps available right now? Mod Italian, Yellow Vinyl, etc. Will they still be around a year from now--or much less? I don't know if I'd buy a second messenger bag(the Ego) now that I've picked up the ID, but I like the Mod Italian design a lot.

By the way, how "limited edition" are the special straps available right now? Mod Italian, Yellow Vinyl, etc. Will they still be around a year from now--or much less? I don't know if I'd buy a second messenger bag(the Ego) now that I've picked up the ID, but I like the Mod Italian design a lot.
    We have enough of the Mod Italian and Yellow Vinyl fabrics to make just a few more strips than what we currently have in-stock. I'd say they'll be around until the end of February, but I can't be sure!

Hey Darcy,

What happened to the pics of the Synapse?

Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    Hey Darcy,

What happened to the pics of the Synapse?
    Delayed. Tom's putting more finishing touches on it that will change the look a little bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0