Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Make a "mini" Cafe bag

I bought a small cafe bag a couple of weeks ago. I like the quality and the features, but it's a little bigger than I need. I suggest making a cafe bag that's 7" high, and keeping the same length and width. The other thing I'd like to see is another inside pocket, maybe zippered and on the back side. I'd like someplace to keep my change or other small items that would get lost in the bottom of my bag. The outside back pocket is a great feature.

I'd like a bag just big enough to hold my wallet, sunglasses, cell phone and a pen. I could fit all that in a 7" or 8" high bag. This is basically my purse for some one who doesn't like to carry a purse. I especially don't like to carry a big purse/bag that tends to fill up with too much stuff.
    Last edited by deboraho; 07-30-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: addition

jdc

'mini' cafe bag - where is it?

I have logged in, signed up, registered my user name and password for the single purpose of seconding the request for a 'mini' cafe bag. I purchased a small cafe bag a year or more ago. I traveled with it to the UK. Although larger then I prefer, for that trip and purpose it served me quite nicely. But I gave it to my daughter (in the UK) and she has been using it ever since. I need a 'mini' bag. I want all the convenience of having pockets in my clothing (an embellishment lacking in most w's clothing) but not the burden of carrying around a bag. I think a 'mini' cafe bag, with a good strap to wear bandoleer style is my ideal. Thank you jdc

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I need a 'mini' bag. I want all the convenience of having pockets in my clothing (an embellishment lacking in most w's clothing) but not the burden of carrying around a bag.
    Some kind of mini bag like the one you two are describing will make an appearence by the end of the year!

Slightly off topic, but: I love the women's pants made by the Canadian outdoor clothing company Valhalla Pure (http://www.vpo.ca/). They're made in Canada, last forever, are cut well and look great, don't wrinkle, and they have three pockets, including a low-profile zippered pocket on the leg near the knee.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

that's a fine idea, but

I just want to say that in general I really like the simplicity of your bags, and when people keep asking for more pockets, it worries me. When there are too many pockets in a bag, all it means for me is I can't remember where stuff is.

I like bags that are simple and the pouches system that allows me to switch between bags easily.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgeese View Post
    I like bags that are simple and the pouches system that allows me to switch between bags easily.
    Thanks, wildgeese. That's a good point.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

jdc

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Some kind of mini bag like the one you two are describing will make an appearence by the end of the year!

Slightly off topic, but: I love the women's pants made by the Canadian outdoor clothing company Valhalla Pure (http://www.vpo.ca/). They're made in Canada, last forever, are cut well and look great, don't wrinkle, and they have three pockets, including a low-profile zippered pocket on the leg near the knee.
    Thank you for your rapid response! I will forgo purchasing any bag, any size, until I see what TB comes up with. I have not be able to access the Canadian clothing site you referred to in your post. I will keep trying. Thank you again. jdc

Mini bag

Thanks. I'll look forward to checking out the mini bag. Will it be out in time for Xmas? When should I check back for it? DOR

Quote Originally Posted by deboraho View Post
    Thanks. I'll look forward to checking out the mini bag. Will it be out in time for Xmas? When should I check back for it? DOR
    I can't say for sure. It all depends on what inspiration strikes Tom. It could be by xmas, or it could be early next year. Or it might be a design that takes as much time to be finely tuned as the Empire Builder did.

Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I have not be able to access the Canadian clothing site you referred to in your post. I will keep trying.
    The link above has an extra ")" in the URL. You just need to delete it to make the link work. Or, use this: http://www.vpo.ca

I believe the mini cafe bag is on the picture of June talking with Tom.

It is too small to be a small cafe bag and has nifty features such as straps and is in color not dynema.

I hope I have not spilled too much beans, :) !

The mini cafe bag is a great idea. The only reason I have postponed getting the small is because I know i'll fill it up with tons of junk. I also agree with keeping the bag simple. I love the idea of lots of pockets, but I never can find stuff when I use bags that have them. In fact, the 3 pockets described for the small cafe bag are perfect. As for change, the front zippered pocket will be smaller on a "mini" and will probably be a great place for it.
    As always, Darcy & Tom, thanks for listening and responding to all of our comments, suggestions & queries.

I'm waiting for the mini cafe bag too.

I don't know how many "o-rings" come on the existing cafe bags but I would love a mini with 2 "o-rings". One to attach a key strap with keys and one to attach an organizer pouch for credit cards/change would be just great.
    Another happy owner of the Aeronaut, Sm & Lg packing cube, convertible packing cube, Absolute packing strap. Also travel with Ballistic Imago w/2 sm organizer pouches and style kit. Swift with extra key straps, organizer pouches and my quarter packing cube. Holiday Med. Ultrasuede® pouch, all 3 sizes of Stuff Bags, various key straps. I love them all!

I'm apparently in the minority re pockets. I love my medium cafe bag and have been carrying it for two years, but would like a few more pockets--especially a small zippered pocket on the front for keys, hotel cards keys, etc. I'd also like the option of zipping the back pocket when traveling.

I'm with Joy about the zippered back pocket.

I would use my mini cafe bag in addition to the Large Cafe bag and/or My Lux, Brain Bag or Aeronaute.

I am also thinking of a Swift (Sapphire/Plum,what else?) in my future since I am back to needle art.

The mini bag would carry the absolute essential and could be tossed inside a much bigger bag or carried by itself on weekly grocery errands.

By essentials I mean id, wallet, insurance/library cards, transit pass, keys, a little note pad with pen and phone/pda.

Those stuff must be really secure so I was thinking that in addition to the front zippered pocket, a zippered pocket on the flap and the back pocket zippered would be ideal.

I don't think that there is a need for inside compartments or pockets for such a small bag since the pouches can be used for that purpose and that means at least three O or D rings inside and outside.

I would love an handle that could clip on both sides to an O ring like in the Passport pouch but... if the mini bag is cordura for durability the strap holder could probably be more like the Zephyr's.

This O ring would enable the clipping of a long or short Key strap for holding pouches on both sides. Pouches clipped outside of the mini bag would offer ease of access and security.

One could be for a clear pouch holding coins for parking or tokens and the other could be a (future) clear padded pouch for holding a cell phone/pda/

And that would be my ideal mini cafe bag :)
    Last edited by backpack; 10-16-2007 at 05:04 PM.

I'd like one also. I have the small cafe and find that I don't use it much. I use the Imago or the Lux with a very small shoulder bag inside to grab when I go into a store and don't need everything in the larger bag. A mini cafe bag would be perfect for that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0