Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnopfile View Post
    A functional item that I hope you keep on the mini:
    the flat pocket on the back--I like the non-zippered flat outer pocket for to-do lists, directions, mail that needs to be dropped off and the like.
    Yes, but with the 5x7 size, will the open back pocket really be useful for holding mail? I was hoping that the back pocket would zip on the mini, because that is where I would want to put my money, license, and plastic (directly in the pocket, not in a wallet). That way I could pay for things without having to open the main bag.

    Also, could the inside of the bag have a zippered pocket that would hold a passport?

    Thanks so much for listening to all of our wishes and desires, Tom and Darcy!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    Yes, but with the 5x7 size, will the open back pocket really be useful for holding mail? I was hoping that the back pocket would zip on the mini, because that is where I would want to put my money, license, and plastic (directly in the pocket, not in a wallet). That way I could pay for things without having to open the main bag.

    Also, could the inside of the bag have a zippered pocket that would hold a passport?

    Thanks so much for listening to all of our wishes and desires, Tom and Darcy!
    This is the design I would like to see as well.

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    I see your point, but I don't like the outside pocket to be zippered because I'm in and out of it more than any other and it hurts my hands to repeatedly brush up against zippers. (I know that must sound pathetic to everyone, as it does to me, but for some reason they are ridiculously sensitive and very easily battered. But I still think the majority opinion should win.)
    Besides, I put valuable stuff inside the bag.

    Ditto on the big thank you. I'm sure the bag you design will be great. Probably even better than the one I'm envisioning....bag design is your specialty, not mine.

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    What I know so far:
    • Around 5 x 7 x 1.5" (as compared to the Small Cafe @ 7.5" x 11" x 3", so about 1/4 of the volume)
    • Made of 1000 denier Cordura® (lots of possible colors)
    • Removable, adjustable 5/8" webbing should strap
    • Zips shut

    What I don't know:
    • Landscape or portrait orientation. This is important because the bag will be so small that, if it is a vertical bag, anything that falls to the bottom will be really hard to see/retrieve (like playing a game of "Operation - the goofy game for dopey doctors"). I prefer the aesthetic of a vertical bag but the utility of a horizontal bag. What do y'all think?

    Color Yummm!

    But a Cafe Bag needs to have a vertical orientation, otherwise it would be better to call it a mini Imago.

    There are already plenty of horizontal small bags on the market and I am really afraid of the dreaded "fanny pack look".
    The Cafe bag is so stylish with it's sideways clip that there would be no worry of it not looking good.


    For me, a Mini Cafe Bag should be a perfect scaled down version of the Small same as the Small is a scaled down version of the Medium which is smaller than the Large.

    With such a small footprint, the size of a Small Organizer Pouch or the Passport Pouch but wider, I don't think that there is any risk of losing things inside.
    Keys can be held with the Straps on the O rings and ear buds and other small objects be stowed in the zippered compartment.

    The portrait orientation would be terrific to use as an purse inside a bigger purse or an extra secure pocket in those really bottomless bags such as the Brain Bag, the Aeronaute and others.


    It would be great if it had the same D-ring style shoulder strap attachment points found outside the Convertible Packing Cube.

    This way one could switch between a shoulder strap, a long key strap, (to hold the bag hand purse style or to secure it to another bag), or the same ajustable strap as the Passport Pouch.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-26-2008 at 07:43 AM.

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    i thought horizontal so stuff wouldn't get lost, like it does in the small. But you're right, in the dimensions suggested, nothing except pennies could get lost. So I'm switching my vote to vertical.

  6. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    The back pocket.

    I think that it would be better if it were zippered but...

    A good compromise would be to make it non zippered and add an O ring inside so the people who think that nothing is secured unless enclosed can clip an organizer pouch to fit inside the pocket.

    I believe a mini organizer pouch could fit there sideways and maybe a passport pouch if bunched up a little.

    TB could also offer portrait opening mini organizer pouches just for the mini cafe bag.

  7. #52
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    546
    Hmm. In light of these new suggestions, I change my vote to vertical as well. I was just thinking today that making it horizontal would be too much like a purse, especially combined with the thin strap (does it really need to be that thin?). Vertical, but keep some/one of the little organizer pockets and at least one pen pocket (which wouldn't work quite right if it was horizontal) - and I also like the open/same back pocket with the o-ring idea. Also, vertical would allow for the signature cafe bag styling - with the flap =)

    Hey, otherwise we wouldn't be still calling it a "mini cafe bag," now would we? =D

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Hmm. In light of these new suggestions, I change my vote to vertical as well. I was just thinking today that making it horizontal would be too much like a purse, especially combined with the thin strap (does it really need to be that thin?). Vertical, but keep some/one of the little organizer pockets and at least one pen pocket (which wouldn't work quite right if it was horizontal) - and I also like the open/same back pocket with the o-ring idea. Also, vertical would allow for the signature cafe bag styling - with the flap =)

    Hey, otherwise we wouldn't be still calling it a "mini cafe bag," now would we? =D
    Hi Just,

    :) Yeah that's what I thought too, a cafe bag needs to be vertica and get the styling with the flap and the buckle :)

    Otherwise it is not a cafe bag :)

    I have been busy so I hope I was not too late for Tom to read my suggestions before he got going on the prototype.

    Loove the Cafe Bags we are both in the same boat, Just. :)
    Last edited by backpack; 04-27-2008 at 09:33 PM.

  9. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1

    mini bag orientation

    I echo others, here. Horizontal, please - 'aesthetic' is not what I think when I am digging in my bag for something lost in its depths.
    Cathy

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2
    backpack, I like all of your ideas. I vote for vertical too. I think a bag that small and horizontal would be too much like a purse.

  11. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    I echo others, here. Horizontal, please - 'aesthetic' is not what I think when I am digging in my bag for something lost in its depths.
    Cathy
    The bag is too small to have any depths.

    The dimensions are very close to the Passport Pouch (I have 2) and the Small Organizer pouch (I have many) and I assure you that there is no depth on that small a footprint.

    If you don't have either of the TB Pouches look in the accessories page and check the clear organizer pouches, the Small Clear Organizer Pouch is red and holds a Larabar.

    The Small Clear Organizer Pouches can hold six pens horizontaly, 2 rows of library, store, credit cards vertically that can be stacked 5 at the time so 10 cards or more if you want to stuff the pouch.


    I do think that a Mini Imago, an horizontal purse, would be great and I joint you to plant the idea in Tom's already really busy designing head. :)

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    212
    I think what is being lost in the horizontal vs vertical debate is that I don't think people necessarily want a bag that is visually a shrunken cafe bag. What people want is a small shoulder bag that is a bigger than the passport pouch and smaller than the small cafe bag and with more features than the passport pouch. Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of horizontal bags and I generally think they're more practical.

    So, maybe people do want a mini-imago rather than a mini-cafe bag, if we must use the current bags as references for this one. I think the reason the cafe bag was used as a point of reference was because of its simplicity, not because of the overall look.

    And often the result isn't what was originally suggested. For example, wanting a mini-brain bag led to the Synapse, which is a completely new bag of its own.

  13. #58
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    I think what is being lost in the horizontal vs vertical debate is that I don't think people necessarily want a bag that is visually a shrunken
    I couldn't read that without replacing "shrunken" with "shuriken"

    ...

    And re: this smaller bag, for the past couple of days I couldn't help but wonder if it was possible in some way for it to be a quasi-backpack... as in, one short strap, you'd wear it over your shoulder, but somehow (friction?) it counters gravity and stays right behind/next to your shoulderblade (instead of falling into your armpit when you move your arm).



    All that aside... I, for one, wouldn't mind a shrunken Cafe bag =)

  14. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    I think what is being lost in the horizontal vs vertical debate is that I don't think people necessarily want a bag that is visually a shrunken cafe bag. What people want is a small shoulder bag that is a bigger than the passport pouch and smaller than the small cafe bag and with more features than the passport pouch. Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of horizontal bags and I generally think they're more practical.

    So, maybe people do want a mini-imago rather than a mini-cafe bag, if we must use the current bags as references for this one. I think the reason the cafe bag was used as a point of reference was because of its simplicity, not because of the overall look.

    And often the result isn't what was originally suggested. For example, wanting a mini-brain bag led to the Synapse, which is a completely new bag of its own.
    Not true, not true.
    I want a shrunken cafe bag. Nothing more. Nothing less.

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    139
    Rather than relating this to any bag that already exists, I'll just state exactly what I am looking for:

    a small HORIZONTAL bag

    Unless you are going to carry items that are tall and need to be kept vertical, the excess vertical space is a total waste. If you carry several small items - say, a phone, a couple of mini organizers, a travel tissue pack, horizontal space is much more useful than vertical space. If the bag is tall and skinny, all those small items just wind up jumbled together in the small space at the bottom of the bag, making the bag bulge because there is too much stuff fighting for too little space. If the bag is horizontal, those little items will be spread out, making things easier to find and eliminating the bulge.

    There are soooo many Tom Bihn vertical options for those who want them - why not make an option for those of us who want something different???
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0