Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cafe Mini bag

I like the open back pocket. It's handy for quickly sticking something in there when I'm on the go. I guess it's hard to please everybody. But the main thing would be a mini cafe bag. I'll get one as soon as it's available.

Volunteer Moderator
    i like the idea of a mini-cafe bag. here is what i am thinking -

the mini-cafe bag will hold my essentials. these are different for everyone, but i'm thinking of the stuff i put into the pockets of my tom bihn bags. contents i am thinking of include:
    - wallet
    - keys
    - small writing pad
    - pen
    - iphone / ipod / other such device
    - earphones

i want this to be a bag i can carry on its own when i want just the essentials.

i want to also be able to hook into easily into a larger bag when i am carrying other stuff (laptop, books, or whatever else).

so basically, we would be ripping out the organizer pockets from the buzz, the smart alec, the large cafe bag, and other similarly sized bags, and replacing them with this mini cafe bag. on second thought, leave those pockets in those bags for organizing the non-essentials that can stay in the bag when i grab the mini cafe bag with the essentials.

this would make life wonderful for those of us who have multiple bags and may feel like the buzz one day and the cafe bag the next day. if our essentials are in the mini cafe bag, we can just move that from the buzz to the cafe bag and be ready to go in a snap.

going out to lunch and you need your essentials? great - just grab the mini cafe bag and go!

i would like the contents of the mini cafe bag protected when i am carrying just the mini cafe bag - so a flap like the other cafe bags have would be nice.

i would also like easy access to the contents of the mini cafe bag when it is carried inside another bag, so i would like an easy way to fold back that flap so hat it tucks out of the way and provides full, easy access to its contents. maybe the mini cafe bag could have a smaller version of the buckle on the larger cafe bags. there would be a place for that buckle to fasten inside the larger bags.

what do you think? does this sound crazy?

can we do this?

i'm very excited!

maverick

is the "mini" for real?

Does anyone know if the "mini" cafe bag is really in the works or just a twinkle in Tom's eye?

Every time i see this thread I'm reminded of "mini me" the mini cooper. If this bag does become a reality, I hope it's called the mini.

If I was to bet the family farm, I'd say "a twinkle in Tom's eye".
    Seems like a lot of stuff going on @ TB.
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 12-15-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

That's my guess too.

It's too late for 2007. Maybe it will come out when the synapse does. I want to buy the minibag in colors that will go with the synapse. I think that combo will be my ideal daily bag.

Add one more vote for a mini bag. As a daily purse, the small cafe bag is too tall. The electronics (PDA, cell, iPod)*, wallet, card case, eyeglass cleaner and a comb pack in a row. Rhodia pad goes in the little pocket, plus a pack of gum. There is about 4 inches of vertical space above that.

I wouldn't object to an organizer pocket within a bag -- for the little stuff (lip balm, thumb drive, et cetera) because the zip pocket on the front is awkward.

* no, I don't want an iPhone -- I'm waiting for a touchscreen s60 phone in late 2008 :)

Volunteer Moderator
    hi,

how is the mini cafe bag coming along? i found myself really wanting a small bag last night to organize some stuff for an upcoming trip, and i remembered the talks of a mini cafe bag.

i don't think there will be one ready in time for my trip next month, but i'll take one when it's ready.

maverick

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    maverick --

It's coming... it's in the notebook sketch phase.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    maverick --

It's coming... it's in the notebook sketch phase.
    excellent - thanks! :D

Oooohhh, I'm excited about the Mini-Cafe Bag, too. :) :) I've been using my Medium Cafe Bag for school almost every day, and have been sticking my it into my Brain Bag when I want to bring my computer with me. A Mini-bag would be perfect for going out for dinner, or shopping, etc. Without all my school stuff in it, the Medium is a little big for those occasions.

Can't wait! :) :) :)

I was thinking earlier today as I carried my Imago and Lux how much nicer it would be to have a mini bag I could carry in my Imago and then use on it's own when I run into a store. It seems like the one Tom Bihn product lack. Is this because, as a female, I'm more likely to use a small shoulder purse than a guy is?
    In any case, I don't particularly care whether the bag is a mini-cafe bag, a mini imago or even a smaller and colored version of the convertible packing cube I hope that something like this shows up here soon.

:)

In the meantime, the convertible packing cube fits perfectly inside the Lux and the Swift.
    Because the Convertible Packing Cube is made of Dynema it looks like a big center compartment inside the Swift and with it's side pocket, it's one more place that can hold stuff securely zipped in.

It also goes around the two carry on bag rule set up by the stupid airlines.

With a strap, the Convertible Packing Cube, can become a light shoulder bag.

Edited to add that I would be delighted to see a Mini Cafe Bag in all the fun Cordura colors (Pink, Storm, Plum, Sapphire) for quick trips to the store, fun bike ride or nice walk to the neighborhood restaurant when the bare minimum (keys, cards, cash) is needed.

It would also make possible to carry the perfectly designed Cafe Bag on a trip by slipping one or a couple inside the carry on bags. They could be used to organize socks and other small stuff inside the Brain Bag, Aeronaute, Western Flyer.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-08-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    :)

In the meantime, the convertible packing cube fits perfectly inside the Lux and the Swift.
    Because the Convertible Packing Cube is made of Dynema it looks like a big center compartment inside the Swift and with it's side pocket, it's one more place that can hold stuff securely zipped in.

It also goes around the two carry on bag rule set up by the stupid airlines.

With a strap, the Convertible Packing Cube, can become a light shoulder bag.
    Maybe it's worth buying as a temporary solution. It's such an ugly color though.
    How will it work inside the Imago? I'm using the Swift mainly for knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    Maybe it's worth buying as a temporary solution. It's such an ugly color though.
    How will it work inside the Imago? I'm using the Swift mainly for knitting.
    I don't have an Imago, so I can't tell. If you compare the Imago and the Convertible packing cube size online, you can figure out if it will fit.

You could also ask Darcy to try the combo for you.

I like the black and white fabric but I admit that I prefered the sapphire color which has disapeared. (I did not buy any item in that color, not smart of me)

It may be worth a shot to ask Darcy and/or Tom if they could make a convertible packing cube in Cordura to match the outside of the Swifts and Imagos.

I have 1 Lux and 2 Swifts and plan to add more Swifts the minute my budget will allows that to happen.

I use my Swifts as everyday totes, the Convertible Packing Cube holds essentials and can be switched from one bag to another very fast.

My Lux is my needlepoint hq at home as it holds stitch booklets, needlepoint supplies and yarns. But one small project can fit into a Yarn Stuff Sack and quickly transfered into a Swift for on the go needlepoint.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0