Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Thumbs up Is there any word on a Garment Bag in the pipeline?

Tom,
    First off, thank you for everything you do. Iím very happy Iíve found this place, and continue to sell your bags to my coworkers (3 of them are already laboring over which laptop bags and colors to get). I've become the local expert on the Tom Bihn Super Ego :), and get a lot of compliments on my bag. Hell, I told them we should start a club in our area when they get theirs.

I know many of us have started threads about the possibility of adding a Garment Bag to the mix. I myself started one a few months ago Here.

I'm still on my never ending quest for the perfect travel partner to an Aeronaut and/or my Super Ego.

Since a lot of my travel is business related, I'm often looking for something that can hold my Laptop and accessories as well as a suit and sport jacket with khakis, and a couple of dress shits, etc. I pack for between 3 and 5 days. My Super Ego has been great for holding the laptop and off items like toiletries, shoes, and jeans but not suits. I am in the market for an Aeronaut that can handle most of everything else, but I'm not sure if it'll fit the suites and sport coat. My suite size is 52 long, so not only can't I buy off the rack, most bags don't fit them well.

After going on the One-bag, One-World Blog and seeing the Red Oxx Air Boss bag review, I figured I'd go to their site, and take a look around. There I found the Safari Garment Bag. Honestly, like the Overland Garment Bag from my other thread, this bag seems the right sort for me.

I know R&D cost money, and takes time; but I was still hoping that one of these days we'd hear news that the exceptional talent of you and your crew would go into producing a similar product in the Tom Bihn Portable Culture vain.

Then I could couple both the Aeronaut with BrainCell, and a Garment for my week long business travels. And use my Super Ego with Aeronaut for very short more casual trips.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)

Smile

Glad you like our bags! I can't say where the Design Muse will take me next or when. I'm just now working on about six different projects, one of which is a zippered field notebook (like a small three-ring binder) that's been hatching in the back of my brain for about eight or nine years now. That is to say, eventually I will design a garment bag, but the time frame is harder to pin down.
    Stay tuned in any event!

Ooooooooh, I'd be all over a zippered field notebook. A very slim design with a replaceable notebook, I hope? I can't wait!
    Last edited by ellismc; 07-23-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    Glad you like our bags! I can't say where the Design Muse will take me next or when. I'm just now working on about six different projects, one of which is a zippered field notebook (like a small three-ring binder) that's been hatching in the back of my brain for about eight or nine years now. That is to say, eventually I will design a garment bag, but the time frame is harder to pin down.
    Stay tuned in any event!
    Thanks Tom - I will Stay Tuned! It took me 8 years to find Tom Bihn, I can certainly wait for a garment bag solution.

Oh, and the zippered field notebook does sound interesting.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Yes. I've posted a similar sentiment elsewhere in the forum. However, ... about 4 months later I've got this to say.
    1) I trust that Tom knows the smart priorities and his judgement has been excellent on timing and R&D timeline so far. So I know that if/when it's announced, A TB branded Garment Carrierit will be the right bag at the right time.
    2) A TB Garment bag faces very tough competition these days and frankly, I'd rather see him focus on some far more profitable and urgent designs right now. I've studied the stats on business & liesure travel over the past year and the numbers suggest that the number of hard core TB Garment Bag users is likely to go down ( business travelers ), even as the number of Sheeple travelers is going up!
    3) The Blackhawk CIA Garment bag is amazing. Gigantic, intelligently designed and as the name implies, very very rugged.Without major reconceptualization of the structure and final form of a garment bag, this is a hard one to beat in the classic in the soft-sided category.
    4) I'd much rather see tom focus on an area that seems to have gotten almost no play in the TB line- Integration of Photography/Videography and other specialized electronics gadgetry protection into the whole line...but I'll continue this thought in another thread later....
    5) Then there are many other bits and pieces that could really use his design attention. Such as...
    A) A brilliant user and context focused vanity kit that makes sense.
    B) Modular padded cubes for protecting delicate valuables stored within the TB line
    C) Eco- friendly line that uses organic fibers ( hemp ) or that uses recucled and/ or environmentally sustainable processes and sources.
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 08-06-2007 at 08:22 AM.

please, please. bring a one-suiter into your mix. I'm dying with a heavy tumi carry-on garment bag waiting for something from TB. I understand the priorities issue, but how can you work in the business world without the need for an occasional suite?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0