Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quarter Packing Cube

I'd still like to see quarter packing cubes (or about half the size of a small packing cube, or half and end packing cube).

I think one of these would make a great toiletries bag to go with the Aeronaut, and it would be the perfect size for electronics and cables and such.

In fact, a special toiletries bag that same size would be a great thing.

E
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Do you mean half the size as in half the thickness, or half the footprint?
    I like it either way - more packing cubes!

I vote for 1/2 the footprint.

Volunteer Moderator
    Another 1/2 footprint vote!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom's working on this, and it's turning it to be very cool - a little bit different than you might be expecting. We should have samples within a few weeks.

All three of you (mruseless, Skylark, and Just) will get to test the new 1/2 Packing Cube for us. PM me with your addresses. :)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Wow, he's working on it already? That's service.

I vote for the 1/2 footprint too

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom's working on this, and it's turning it to be very cool - a little bit different than you might be expecting. We should have samples within a few weeks.

All three of you (mruseless, Skylark, and Just) will get to test the new 1/2 Packing Cube for us. PM me with your addresses. :)
    I've recieved one prototype today.
    It's nice, very nice. Just the size I needed. Half an end pocket, separated vertically in two, each pocket closed by a plastic zipper. The transparent sides are very practical to see what's in.

I will try it next week.

To be perfect, I would add two small pockets on one side of the inside separation.

Just one thought, one side could be in mesh instead of plastic for better aeration.

Volunteer Moderator
    I too have received a prototype of the quarter packing cube! I like it a lot, especially since I can put it inside a small packing cube to section off the space better (I don't pack quite as many socks as pictured in the Small Cube photo). The clear sides are also great for identifying the contents, as ratdeau mentioned.

Heh, it's kind of like a squared-off mini Snake Charmer as far as how it's styled, and I can easily see myself putting camera/cell phone chargers on one side, and hairbrush, toothbrush (yes, they fit!), etc. on the other. That would free up small mesh pocket on the lid of the Aeronaut for lighter stuff (probably what it was actually intended for) so that it wouldn't sink into the main chamber when it opens =)

I can take and post some pictures of it set up like how I described, if that's allowed.

Of course, there's no limit to the uses for this one - you could probably throw it into an Imago, ID, or whatnot as a see-through Style Kit x 2! I would imagine this would be great for makeup.

I have also received this prototype. I wasn't sure what it was at first so I had to ask Darcy. It screamed makeup bag when I first saw it, and I think it will be a fabulous toiletries bag for my next flight. I like the size, it is very easy to carry. I don't have an Aeronaut, so I can't comment on how it fits in there, but I have been carrying it on its own every day since I got it. I was trying to figure out exactly how I would use it. I think it may just make a perfect tea/accessory carrier for when it isn't a toiletries bag. It fits 8 1 ounce tins perfectly on the one side and the other side fits my scale and other things I would need for a good cuppa. I have attached a picture of it holding tea samples.

There are just so may things this little accessory can do!

It is very well built. I would like to see a hanging toiletry type bag, though. This is very close and I can see it being used in that type of manner, you would just have to be careful not to unzip the sides all the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    I can take and post some pictures of it set up like how I described, if that's allowed.
    That's be great!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quarter Packing Cube I received for testing is even better than I had imagined. I love that it is divided into two sections, has a hang-me-up loop and clear see through "windows".

The Aeronaut as carry on is the only luggage I use now - no more checked baggage. Of course we pack for trip specific needs, and here's how I think this quarter packing cube will really help me on the next trips only using one bag. It seems a perfect toiletries bag for all the items that don't need to be declared in the ziplock of 3 oz liquids at the security check in the airport. (see One Bag website for great 'dry' toiletry suggestions - like the tooth power.) Although not submersible, since there is no mesh, a steamy shower or any sink splashes shouldn't bother whats inside. And since I only have enough 'dry' toiletries to fill one side, I'm thinking the other side could hold anything else that needs to follow me into the shower like clean underclothes. So, for this first quarter packing cube I think it will be great to take advantage of its water repelling properties.
    Yes, I can see getting a second quarter cube to tuck into the other half of the end pocket for small toys and snacks when we travel with the grandson. When traveling without him I'll use it for my on board entertainment items - like my treo and headphones.

Note to TB and Darcy - I loaded this quarter packing cube into the end pocket with the handy loop up. Seemed logical to use it as a handle. Then I noticed that the cube would need to pivot to stand on the short end to fit a second one into the pocket. The loop is a great length and wide enough that I don't foresee a problem with the loop interferring with zipping. So I'm wondering if the loop might work better on the short end so when I hang it up it won't need to be unzipped enough for spillage and I could still use it has a pull tab when unpacking. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks so much for the opportunity to test one of the terrific TB accessories. When can I order another one?? smiles

Review of quarter packing cube

Wow, Thanks Tom Bihn!! I got it in the mail a couple weeks back, but just had the opportunity to use it.

The cube is slightly larger than half of a small packing cube, and has two zippered compartments back to back. The front panel of each compartment is a clear vinyl or similar material.

I used the cube as a substitute for my usual dopp kit bag, and it worked very well. I could see everything easily and there was plenty of room (I donít go overboard with toiletries). I put everything that has to go into a one-quart ziplock bag on one side of the packing cube, and everything else on the other side.

The small hanging loop is a nice touch, although it would be better if the loop were a little larger so it would fit over a doorknob. Another thing for the wishlist would be a Velcro patch on the inside of one compartment so I could attach a small mirror. (Even better if it came with a small mirror!)

It would also be great for keeping computer cables, accessories, and chargers for my various electronic devices organized. Of course, I could also use it for underwear and socks as Just mentioned.

Another way I'm going to try it: carrying ties on one side for business trips, and dress belts and socks on the other. This could be great for ties, since I like to have them folded and they are easy to see through the clear material.

I like it!!
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Very, very interested in this.
    This is precisely the kind of product that makes me scream "Tom Bihn is the BEST!!"
    It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

Agree with making the loop big enough for a doorknob. Also agree that an option with mesh (or mesh on one side) instead of Dynema might be good for those who intend to use this for non-liquids.

Instead of pockets on the inside, perhaps just put a clip in the inside corner so that a small pouch can be clipped in, if desired? (Does a small pouch even need to be clipped in, though, or can it just float?)

I LOVE that the sides unzip all the way, by the way.

More impressions after I actually get a chance to travel!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0