Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Volunteer Moderator

Café Bag strap musings

When I received my Café Bags (small, medium, and large), I didn't immediately notice that all three came with different strap arrangements. But when I started using them, the differences became apparent.

On my Small Café Bag, the strap is a thick strap, and the shoulder pad is a very thick pad in the style of the Imago shoulder pad. Like the new-style Imagos, the excess strap goes down the sides of the bag, so there is no slider thing in the middle of the strap.

On the Medium Café Bag, the strap is the same thick strap, but the shoulder pad is one of those short plastic? rubber? things with the pokey nubby things on the underside. This one has the slider thing in the middle, so the excess strap is just doubled under.

On the Large Café Bag, the strap is a thinner strap, and the shoulder pad is the same as on the Imago. Slider in the middle, and excess strap is doubled under as in the Medium. (Like the old-style Imagos.)

Comments.
    Straps. The straps themselves are pretty good, although it was odd to see such a thick strap on the Small and a thin one on the Large.
    Sliders. I do not like the sliders being in the middle of the bag. It especially gets in the way of the shoulder pad. At the same time, too much excess strap going down the side of the bag is kind of funny looking. Verdict? I'd go for comfort and funny floppy bunny ears.
    Shoulder pads. The thick one on the Small is kinda overkill. The pokey one on the Medium is kinda pokey and gets lost easily.

I think I may have gotten the bags at a time of much transition, but I thought I'd share my thoughts. Also, I have no idea how the straps on everyone else's Café Bags are set up, and would like to know. The product pages don't really say which strap/slider/shoulder pad combo you're gonna get, too.

i too would prefer that the large café have a thicker strap. i used to carry my laptop in it, but the weight on the thin shoulder pad is just too much for me. it isn't awful or anything, it just isn't enough padding for heavier loads.

Just, I love the pictures!

Would you mind posting a picture of the 3 bags side by side for easy size comparaison.

Sorry if you already posted it on the Flicker's group.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-09-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    When I received my Café Bags (small, medium, and large), I didn't immediately notice that all three came with different strap arrangements. But when I started using them, the differences became apparent.

On my Small Café Bag, the strap is a thick strap, and the shoulder pad is a very thick pad in the style of the Imago shoulder pad. Like the new-style Imagos, the excess strap goes down the sides of the bag, so there is no slider thing in the middle of the strap.

On the Medium Café Bag, the strap is the same thick strap, but the shoulder pad is one of those short plastic? rubber? things with the pokey nubby things on the underside. This one has the slider thing in the middle, so the excess strap is just doubled under.

On the Large Café Bag, the strap is a thinner strap, and the shoulder pad is the same as on the Imago. Slider in the middle, and excess strap is doubled under as in the Medium. (Like the old-style Imagos.)

Comments.
    Straps. The straps themselves are pretty good, although it was odd to see such a thick strap on the Small and a thin one on the Large.
    Sliders. I do not like the sliders being in the middle of the bag. It especially gets in the way of the shoulder pad. At the same time, too much excess strap going down the side of the bag is kind of funny looking. Verdict? I'd go for comfort and funny floppy bunny ears.
    Shoulder pads. The thick one on the Small is kinda overkill. The pokey one on the Medium is kinda pokey and gets lost easily.

I think I may have gotten the bags at a time of much transition, but I thought I'd share my thoughts. Also, I have no idea how the straps on everyone else's Café Bags are set up, and would like to know. The product pages don't really say which strap/slider/shoulder pad combo you're gonna get, too.
    I think the strap on the Small and on the Large are the new style Cafe Straps or maybe you got your hands on prototypes.

What makes me say that is that your Small and Large Cafe Bags have a different logo red plane on blue background.

The Strap on the Medium is the Standard Cafe Bag shoulder strap. I got the same in my Large Cafe bag. My logo is also the same red plane on grey background.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think the strap on the Small and on the Large are the new style Cafe Straps or maybe you got your hands on prototypes.

What makes me say that is that your Small and Large Cafe Bags have a different logo red plane on blue background.

The Strap on the Medium is the Standard Cafe Bag shoulder strap. I got the same in my Large Cafe bag. My logo is also the same red plane on grey background.
    Hmm, you may be onto something there...

I do like those new style shoulder pads better, but like escapegoat was saying, I think switching the thick one to the Large and the thin one over to the Small would have been good.

Threesome shots coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Hmm, you may be onto something there...

I do like those new style shoulder pads better, but like escapegoat was saying, I think switching the thick one to the Large and the thin one over to the Small would have been good.

Threesome shots coming soon!
    I agree with you about the strap size matching the bag size.

Do you think that the Small Cafe Bag would fit comfortably on the back pocket of the Large Cafe Bag?

I got a Large Cafe Bag with a regular kind of thin strap and more importantly thin strap holder.

I wanted to slide the Adapter onto the strap holder to clip my Absolute shoulder strap to the Adapter but... the Adapter was made for the Imago and it has a wide strap so it didn't fit into my Large Cafe Bag strap holder.

I love my Cafe Bag but I won't be using it to carry my laptop so the regular strap is perfect.

I bought the Absolute Strap for the Monolith that I have used to carry my laptop.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.

I have the Medium Cafe Bag, (large is enroute) and I found the pad to be too easily slid on the strap. This is the pad with the nubs on the underside. I was thinking at first I would cut it off but found a better solution by wrapping a strapeez around the strap above the area over the pad. This gave enough purchase to the pad that it no longer is a wandering minstrel and stays where I want it too. For the Large Cafe bag I ordered, I added the Absolute Strap without blinking an eye after having such a wonderful experience with it on my Imago. :)
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I have to update my last post to say that I eventually switched my first Large Cafe Bag regular strap for the Absolute Strap I bought for the Monolith and the Aeronaut.

I ordered my second Large Cafe Bag with the Absolute Strap.

My Small Cafe Bag has a thinner non removable strap with the little nubby shoulder pad, it is perfectly sized for the Small Cafe Bag, I think the extra length doubles up, with the help of a slider, under the right side of the bag, seen from the front. (just like the picture of Just's Medium Cafe Bag)
    Due to my height and girth, I use the strap all the way down.
    If I wanted to use the Small Cafe Bag as a hand-bag I could double up the Strap with no ill effects, the slider would be just in front of the nubby shoulder pad.

Adding that the Small Cafe Bag would make a perfect carry around treasures bag for children.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0