Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree31Likes
  • 5 Post By K9TB
  • 3 Post By Tiviander
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 2 Post By JLE
  • 2 Post By K9TB
  • 4 Post By bb93fo57
  • 3 Post By Orangeboys
  • 3 Post By backpack
  • 2 Post By Rocks
  • 2 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By Orangeboys
  • 3 Post By Rocks

Thread: I miss Parapack

I miss Parapack

Parapack had me at solid color + resists dog hair.

I like Dyneema, but I have a lot of it, and would like to go off the grid.

Just about when I was thinking about buying a Parapack S25 in Parapack they disappeared. (I already have both Synapses in Dyneema)

So I keep looking longingly at bags on the TB site, and keep checking Ebay.

Sigh.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Have you tried calling the store to find out if there are any "last of their species" Parapack bags?

I totally get what you mean about Parapack, it's probably my favorite TB material in terms of texture and looks, I only wish it's available in more colors.

I really want a CoPilot in Parapack. Even with the limited colors, it would be subtle and professional. I will probably end up with a Dyneema CoPilot if they ever come back but I would love to get one in a less busy fabric.

I totally agree: solid colour + lightweight + tough + pet hair resistant = win!

I have an olive parapack S19, which I love, so I ordered a black S25, not realising what a cat hair magnet cordura is (my cordura cafe bags hang on the back of a door, so they're rarely on the floor, plus they're in paler colours). BIG mistake! I'm going to have to de-fur and sell the S25, because it just doesn't work in this household...
    K9TB likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

JLE
    +1! I bought a few SEs in parapack and couldn't believe how gorgeous the fabric was. I didn't really need another bag but picked up,a MCB in navy parapack purely on the strength of the SEs and I'm so glad I did! May it return in abundance soon. :)
    K9TB and bb93fo57 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    ... cat hair magnet ...
    I don't know what material is used for binding on pouches, but I've noticed my ballistic/clear pouches end up with little furry frames because the binding attracts cat hair like mad.

I was really hopeful that the cafe bags would return in parapack - I've been longing for one in olive, but cordura just isn't for me.
    I miss parapack

Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I was really hopeful that the cafe bags would return in parapack - I've been longing for one in olive, but cordura just isn't for me.
    Not to make you sad, but the olive parapack is gorgeous. I have a med cafe bag in it, and I love it. A also have a grey (steel?) Parapack small cafe bag, which is nice, but I love the olive.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Parapack had me at solid color + resists dog hair.

I like Dyneema, but I have a lot of it, and would like to go off the grid.
    I know what you mean... I picked up a Parapack Side Effect (in Steel/UV) back when there were a lot more PP choices. Love the fabric, and would have bought an S25 in PP had I any inkling how short-lived that option would be be.

Have probably gone a little overboard with Black Dyneema bags since then, so would be great to have the option of another fabric that can resist pet hair and is a solid color.

(The Co-Pilot and Pilot would probably be pretty fantastic in Parapack, as would the Daylight Brief Case.)
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    I know what you mean... I picked up a Parapack Side Effect (in Steel/UV) back when there were a lot more PP choices. Love the fabric, and would have bought an S25 in PP had I any inkling how short-lived that option would be be.

Have probably gone a little overboard with Black Dyneema bags since then, so would be great to have the option of another fabric that can resist pet hair and is a solid color.

(The Co-Pilot and Pilot would probably be pretty fantastic in Parapack, as would the Daylight Brief Case.)
    +1 on the parapack. I've only got it as linings, but what a lovely fabric. (I'm old enough to remember the pack material after which it is modeled, and the TB stuff is OF COURSE much much nicer.)

I do too, more Navy and a purple would be nice.

I mentionned the slight greenish tint of Steel Parapack but, it is only visible in very bright lighting or sunlight, under indoor lights, and on overcast days the hue is different as well.

At night with only a computer monitor light it has the shimmery grey hue found in classic films noirs.
    I was looking at my FJN, under this circumstance, seeing the play on light and shadow with the FJN curves, I had a flashback of a car seen in one of Bogart/Bacall film, it was a dark grey car and the FJN was showing off his dark grey fabulousness.

I think Tom and the Lovely Crew have managed to make a shimmery Parapack which has the qualities of Ballistic and the lightness of Dyneema.

Like Ballistic, it can be dressed up and shuffled around in transportation hubs, in addition it can be taken on the trail and look smart.

I have a black parapack/wasabi Synapse 25 that I got by chance off ebay. The listing said it was Cordura. I gasped when I opened the box and discovered otherwise. It's now my favorite backpack! I hope it makes a comeback. It's so sleek and stylish.

All this talk makes me think that need some parapack in my life... Oh Janine... Time for another deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I have a black parapack/wasabi Synapse 25 that I got by chance off ebay. The listing said it was Cordura. I gasped when I opened the box and discovered otherwise. It's now my favorite backpack! I hope it makes a comeback. It's so sleek and stylish.
    Happy surprise! The seller had no idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeboys View Post
    Happy surprise! The seller had no idea?
    The listing was all sorts of wrong. The pictures showed a Synapse 25, but the listing said black Cordura/UV Synapse 19. I emailed the seller to confirm it was a 25, she said yes, and the buy it now price was too good to pass up-- and she offered returns. Now I have the best bag ever!