Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 3 Post By Janine
  • 2 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By seablister
  • 2 Post By timothy
  • 2 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 3 Post By JohnDel

Thread: Use both A30 and A45?

Use both A30 and A45?

First time post here; just became aware of TB a month or so ago.

I'm retired so casual travel only and no 3 month long treks in my future. Have owned and used several Red Oxx pieces (Sun Chaser and PR5) but sold them recently due to lack of backpack carry capability. Planning to acquire several TB pieces starting with an Aeronaut... either 30 or 45.

For those of you having needs for both 30ish (L) and 45ish main bags, do you meet, or plan to meet, those needs with two Aeronauts (30 and 45)?

Or do you meet the 30ish need with something like the Synapse (more backpack like)?

Appreciate your thoughts?

Have been looking for answers but not really addressed, so need to ask.

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by seablister View Post
    First time post here; just became aware of TB a month or so ago.

I'm retired so casual travel only and no 3 month long treks in my future. Have owned and used several Red Oxx pieces (Sun Chaser and PR5) but sold them recently due to lack of backpack carry capability. Planning to acquire several TB pieces starting with an Aeronaut... either 30 or 45.

For those of you having needs for both 30ish (L) and 45ish main bags, do you meet, or plan to meet, those needs with two Aeronauts (30 and 45)?

Or do you meet the 30ish need with something like the Synapse (more backpack like)?

Appreciate your thoughts?

Have been looking for answers but not really addressed, so need to ask.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums, @seablister. You should get a lot of answers from forum members, but I'll just state that the selection of travel bags is more likely to be along the lines of preferred form and function than bag by capacity, and most people who use bags for traveling decide to optimize them according to their travel needs, unless they want to coopt a backpack (like the Synapse, Smart Alec, or Brain Bag) to do double duty.

Also, the selection of travel bag type (Aeronaut vs. Western Flyer or Tri-Star), also depends on whether you prefer the single large compartment (Aeronaut) or compartment-structured organization of the Tri-Star or WF, or whether you think the latter two bags look more "professional" for business travel.

Another distinguishing feature of the Aeronauts (vs. other bags), is whether you need additional storage for shoes, because the end pockets of that bag are specifically designed to be able to hold shoes -- the A45 has more capacity that way than the A30.

I also recommend that you take a look at the video review done by @itsablur, comparing the A30 and A45.

HTH. moriond
    tpnl and vivelly like this.

I have both! The plan is to use the A30 for most trips, because its size and weight when packed full suit me better than the larger A45. However, I can use the A45 when I have something extra bulky.

With either bag, (or with the Western Flyer I used to have), I always carry a secondary bag. For me, this is usually the Pilot or Co-Pilot or a purse, but a Synapse works as well if you are not carrying your main bag on the back. I like to have a smaller bag that can stay at my seat with me on the airplane or in a car, that holds valuables such as my phone, iPad, wallet, etc. And either the Pilot or Co-Pilot will serve as my day bag at my destination, or I pack a purse that lies flat and can serve that function.
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Thank you both for your responses. Helpful.

bcchaplin... I would guess that you prefer the Aeronaut configuration even in the 30L range over something like the larger Synapse because of 1) organization of and access to the contents and 2) it being just enough bigger. But I'm guessing.

Seems like the vast majority of Aeronaut users have the 45 rather than the 30, but maybe that's because the 30 is so new.

Also seems to me that a 30L type load is better in a 30L size bag (looks and control) than in an underloaded 45L bag... hence having the two sizes.

You are correct, the majority of Aeronaut users have the A45 because it has been out for about 10 years (@moriond - help me out here - I recall you even provided input to the original design) vs a few months for the A30.

Another factor to think about between an A45 or A30 (if you actually had to limit yourself) is your form factor. Taller, bigger people like me have clothes that are generally bulkier and fit better in an A45. Also, IMHO, either bag proportionally fits different frames better than others as the latest TB videos show - just like the S19 can look kid backpack like on a wide shouldered person with a wide back while perfect on a slim person of the same height.

Also, for me, an under loaded A45 is fine as long I have some way to keep things from pooling at the bottom of the bag (packing cubes). It actually looks more like a briefcase IMHO when under packed. I remember thinking it was deceptively small looking when I first got it. It looked smaller than a TriStar to me!

The need to store a laptop that can easily be removed for TSA is also a factor. I suspect that it is harder to store a bigger 15.6" laptop in an A30 than the A45 - which is already a tight fit for me.

Enjoy whatever you get!
    Cheers!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Welcome, @seablister!

I have an A45 and I'm eagerly waiting for more color options before ordering an A30.

The Aeronaut design is awesome if you don't like to fully unpack your stuff at your destination. I just set the bag on the chair or sofa of my hotel room, unzip the main compartment, and pull clean clothes out as needed. Dirty clothes go in a laundry bag next to the Aeronaut. Packing up to go home is easy. I just stuff the laundry bag into the Aeronaut and I'm done.

I'm not at all ashamed to under-pack the A45. I secure my packing cubes in the center compartment with the compression straps. The A45 is comfortable when fully loaded, but the compression straps keep things balanced when not fully loaded. It makes the A45 more versatile than one might think initially.

For this reason, if you are on the fence about the A30 and the A45 and unsure which size suits you best, I'd recommend the bigger bag. Try some test packing when it arrives. If your test packing shows that you never fill the A45, then maybe exchange it for the A30.

The standard forum advice is to order both bags and return the one you like least, but that is something of a joke because it can quite hard to send back a TB bag. :-)

Good luck planning your first purchase! And remember...we love photos!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I am packing for a trip tomorrow with both the Aeronaut 30 and 45 in front of me. It is neck-in-neck, but the A45 seems to be winning. I am realizing that it might be easier to manage a larger bag that is lightly packed than a smaller one that is stuffed to the gills, in terms of finding things en route. This particular trip involves 5 cities in about 12 days. I am also taking my daylight backpack for the first time, and it does fit very nicely in the A45 compared to the A30. My only fear is that by carrying a slightly larger bag, it will be more likely to be involuntarily gate-checked if the plane is crowded. However, I'm flying Swiss, and did not have any problems with them last year in finding overhead space; hopefully this will be the case again.

On the other hand, I'll be doing lots of walking, and it would probably be better to jettison some more of my stuff and have a smaller bag..
    Last edited by bchaplin; 11-02-2014 at 04:51 AM.
    ----

Thanks for the insights. I am in that simplification stage of life and was thinking either/or 30/45. Have had the A30 for a couple weeks moc packed but w/o removing the tags just in case. Waiting for the updated A45 to become available for comparison. Can see the need for both and that is where I will probably end up.

Just sold off 3 RedOxx bags (one I hadn't used) and returned a GoRuck 32L to simplify and make room.

Would be interested in your experience with the daylight on this trip... luxury or essential.

Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    One reason I like my A45 (don't have the 30 to compare; infinite desires / limited resources ;)) is that I know it will remain carry-on friendly no matter what I do (on U.S. domestic flights, that is), and if I underpack even slightly that means that if I end up with conference swag or other souvenirs they'll likely find a good and well-padded space in the Aeronaut for the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by seablister View Post

Would be interested in your experience with the daylight on this trip... luxury or essential.
    I'm curious too, as I thought you were on the fence about it? My DLBP became my new BFF in London. It was so easy to carry, run to catch the tube with, and not feel like I would hit people next to me when I moved around. That bag renewed my love for backpacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
    Yes, I will follow up in a new thread about the trip. I was on the fence about buying the daylight backpack, but now, having used it a few times to commute to work on my bicycle, I am pleased with it so far. I'll see how it functions as a tour bag.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 11-02-2014 at 04:57 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    ----

I did follow up in the Packing Lists thread.
    I ended up going with the A30. As a shorter person, I do feel there is a difference in comfort between the two bags and that it was worth taking out items to make them fit in the smaller one.
    If this was a trip where I was just going to one place, plunking down my bags, and relaxing, the A45 would have been my preference.
    ----

This past September I spent two weeks in New Mexico traveling from New York using an A45 and a Daylight Backpack. Flew both ways using the A45 as a carryon and the DLBP as a personal item. Rented a car while out there and didn't do any strenuous hiking, but meandered around Albuquerque, Taos, Santa Fe and environs by foot a lot. The two bags are a great complimentary travel pair. As Pokilani said, the DLBP has renewed my love for backpacks. For the past several years before I bought a DLBP, I used a medium or large Café bag and before that a waist pack. But the Daylight holds more, weighs about the same and is almost effortless to carry and deal with.

While meandering, my camera in its Tamrac padded case with the top open fit nicely in the DLBP so I could easily reach in and extract the camera when desired. Plus the DLBP carried my hat when I wasn't wearing it, sunscreen, map, phone and whatever else I needed. To answer seablister, now that I've traveled with it, for my purposes its much more essential than luxury.

Thanks John. Just the kind of real world experience stories I was looking for.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0