• 5 Post By bbcamp
  • 11 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By Pokilani
  • 3 Post By adalangdon
  • 2 Post By Pokilani

Thread: Bring back the Imago!

Bring back the Imago!

I'd like to start a Bring Back the Imago Thread.😊 From what I've read, everyone seems to love that bag, I can't understand why it was discontinued. It was the perfect not too big, not too small size. Had that all important document sleeve on the back which is lacking in most other messenger bags on the market today, and even had that strap to cinch it to your body. No yukky Velcro on it. Simple and logical pocket design. I'm so sad I never got to buy one. Tom, PLEASE bring it back! Or maybe just make 1 more (in purple) for me. 😉

I agree - tracking down a good secondhand Imago this summer caused me a lot of stress that could have been avoided if it (or a very similar design) had been available to buy new!
    jess and Pokilani like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I was lucky enough to find a used Imago (thanks to a kind forum member) but I'd love the ability to purchase another--in purple!
    Abby likes this.

I couldn't agree more; I use my Imago every day.

It [I]is the perfect 'not too big, not too small' size.
    the outside document pocket is super important to me.
    it is also a very discrete bag: it works as a messenger bag, but can pass as a small briefcase in a business setting (mine is black)
    And I love the flexibility which its large, single main pocket and lack of padding give it:
    carry a MacBookAir in a sleeve or a 13" MacBook? no problem.
    Carry a big square container of leftovers or some humongous hardback books? Sure!
    How about a big, square headphone box? Oh yeah!
    I have even learned to love the two small side pockets--though admittedly, I carry a very small phone.

If it were updated (please, please!), I'd like to see some pen pockets inslde, padding on the handle like the handle of the Ristretto, and possible a somewhat larger outside pocket which can fit modern smartphones--but please keep it discrete!
    And what about some different, removable inserts: one for a computer or tablet with some pen slots (sort of a small Freudian Slip), and another padded insert for a single SLR and maybe a small lense?

Just saw this on eBay. NWT, buy it now option.

Tom Bihn Messenger Bag Imago TBO81O Seattle Green Cork Wood USA Made New | eBay

ETA/ wow, that went quick! it's already gone.
    Last edited by Abby; 09-18-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Just more proof that there is pent up demand for the Imago or bag similar but TB steadfastly ignores it. Do not understand why. Has anyone seen why from any of the TB folks?

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    Just more proof that there is pent up demand for the Imago or bag similar but TB steadfastly ignores it. Do not understand why. Has anyone seen why from any of the TB folks?
    I think you are grossly misrepresenting the decision to retire the Imago.

First of all, it's well-known that a cross-body knitting bag is in the latter stages of development. That demonstrates the company's commitment to *improving* their product line, not diminishing it to spite their customers.

Second, you need to keep in mind that a dozen - even two dozen or ten dozen - people asking for a return of the Imago on this forum represents a small fraction of the overall TB customer base.

Third, it is one thing to be passionate and voice your opinion online. It is another thing to be passionate and vote with your wallet. The Imago would have continued to be available if it made financial and strategic sense for the company to continue making it.

Fourth, it's great to ask questions and even greater that sometimes we get official answers from Darcy and the crew, but they don't owe us explanations for their business decisions.

Fifth, the TB company *does* consider our thoughts and ideas and concerns when they make choices. That's why Solar returned and the SE was updated. They even state that they listened to user feedback on the SE product page. They also feature customer stories on the blog frequently.

And finally, I have never felt ignored by the TB company. Every time I call the store I get a thoughtful and considerate human on the phone who is happy to take as much time with me as I need. Every time I send a question via email, I get a unique and customized reply typed by one of those humans. Have you tried reaching out to the company to ask your questions personally and directly?
    Last edited by Janine; 09-19-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tom is working on new designs.

The cross body knitting bag, an updated FJN for TB as well as an updated Citizen Canine for Skoocum dog and other designs we don't know about, I could bet.

Tom is always brainstorming. In the first video on that thread TOM BIHN Videos.

One can see Tom layout some of his brainstorming notebooks, he was showing how he designs in 2, then 3 D, then re-design, it takes times to make a Tom Bihn Bag.

I also think that Tom redesign need to take into consideration the changes in portable electronic devices.

Apple and other manufacturers seem to have embraced the phablet, at least for a while.

I frankly don't get it because tablets are too small to do meaningful keyboard work and awkward as phones unless used with blue tooth. I don't know if I can type a note while making a call.

So Apple hasn't announced a new iPad regular or mini, is Apple going to announce something about that around the holidays? Does that mean that the digital FJN will need to be retrofitted for phablet or is it going to be compatible with the iPad minis of the last two years and/or the ones of the future?

I tend to think that we will get watch/phones/music players sooner than latter; letter, junior and personal size tablets/video communicators to work with, or without, paper counterparts and powerful laptops.

The new FJN and the new cross body knitting bag need to take all that in consideration, look good and be functional by themselves and together.

It is a lot of work!

It is also, for Tom, the first summer and early fall without his best friend, Riley.

I understand how you feel, because I can't wait to see the newly designed FJN!
    scribe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

The new FJN and the new cross body knitting bag need to take all that in consideration, look good and be functional by themselves and together.
    I'm excited about both of these possibilities. I totally get why they use the clear urethane for a knitting bag, but I hope it doesn't appear in the new bag. It can be a challenge in my Swift to slide some objects in/out (eg my hydro flask bottle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I'm excited about both of these possibilities. I totally get why they use the clear urethane for a knitting bag, but I hope it doesn't appear in the new bag. It can be a challenge in my Swift to slide some objects in/out (eg my hydro flask bottle).
    @Pokilani Curious about your remark regarding the clear Urethane in the Swift making it difficult to slide items in and out. Is this because of the stickiness of the current generation of Urethane? If so, that might be a subject that warrants a separate thread. I know @adalangdon doesn't like using the Double organizer pouches as much because of this property of the Urethane. I have bother the Swift predecessor (the Lux bag) that didn't have clear pockets, and versions of the Swift that were manufactured when the Urethane being used was not sticky (for example, my Indigo/Black Ballistic Nylon Swift that I got before they discontinued Indigo ballistic Nylon products).

It's also true that most of my Clear Organizer wallets (and 3D Clear Organizer Cubes) date from when the Urethane they used was less sticky.

As a follow up to @backpack's post, and to add to @Janine's comments, the unfortunate thing about new designs is that they take however long it takes for Tom to satisfy himself about the features. I think the Imago would already have been slated for a re-design simply because the side pockets sized for a Smartphone (the iPhone) were getting too narrow for the newer models.

My impression on the forums is that the cafe bags typically got more discussion and general love than the Imagos, although there certainly were other forum members, like myself, who were Imago enthusiasts (I had purchased two Imagos before I bought my first cafe bag) At least, this was my impression until a few months after the Imago sold out. I'd certainly like to see an Imago successor. I think it's been about a year since the last Imago was sold directly from TB. I roughly recall Aubergine/Hemp/Steel being available at least through late June/early July, and Forest/Cork/Steel hanging around for another couple of months. Maybe other forum members who purchased or tried to purchase Imagos last year can supply more details?

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Pokilani Curious about your remark regarding the clear Urethane in the Swift making it difficult to slide items in and out. Is this because of the stickiness of the current generation of Urethane? If so, that might be a subject that warrants a separate thread. I know @adalangdon doesn't like using the Double organizer pouches as much because of this property of the Urethane. I have bother the Swift predecessor (the Lux bag) that didn't have clear pockets, and versions of the Swift that were manufactured when the Urethane being used was not sticky (for example, my Indigo/Black Ballistic Nylon Swift that I got before they discontinued Indigo ballistic Nylon products).
    I won't derail this thread beyond this one comment on urethane (!), but I believe what @Pokilani means is that the urethane sticks to her bottle. It sticks to pretty much any smooth/glossy surface. So if she's taking her bottle out of the Swift and the flappy pockets come into contact with it, she will have yank her bottle gently to detach it. I've had the same problem with my Life Factory bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    As a follow up to @backpack's post, and to add to @Janine's comments, the unfortunate thing about new designs is that they take however long it takes for Tom to satisfy himself about the features. I think the Imago would already have been slated for a re-design simply because the side pockets sized for a Smartphone (the iPhone) were getting too narrow for the newer models.
    Maybe it's also being revamped to include rails functionality? (Which IMO is great not only for airport checkpoints, but also just for holding your laptop in a fixed position.) Based on what I've seen of the Imago's interior, there is no way for TB to include rails loops in the current design, unlike the Zephyr and Ego which were given rails loops quite recently, I think?

A more "female-friendly" (or short person-friendly, really) messenger is clearly a gap in the product offerings and I've no doubt they're working to fill that up. It would not *make sense* for them to not do so. And I am also eager to grab a couple of Unnamed Updated Small Messenger Bags to use with a QAM. But it would not serve TB or its fanbase well for TB to churn out something that falls short of the co's usual standards, in light of how TB's reputation and customer base has grown in recent years. I have noticed that TB bags are overwhelmingly well-reviewed in general, and well, every detail counts when you're competing with other bag-makers for high scores and good publicity. Good publicity --> good business --> higher revenue, which can be re-invested in the co --> more fabrics, more high-quality manufacturing capacity --> no "their old stuff was better" laments that I've read about for some other brands

In sum: I'm very happy to wait.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-20-2014 at 02:57 AM.
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego stripes in cool fabrics or w/ seat belt buckle, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Yes, my water bottle/tea mug will stick! As will my iPhone in a Speck case. Sorry to have not been more clear on that front. My SE and 3DFOC slide out just fine. I also don't like that things in the pockets are viewable. I otherwise love my Nordic Swift and am disappointed I missed them in Cork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0