Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Packing a big hoodie

Packing a big hoodie

Does anyone here have tips on packing a big hoodie in a flat way? I have my college hoodie (Champion, sz S) stuffed into a size 4 TSS (not overkill, believe me!) but even then, it's kind of thick. When combined with my SE and Snake Charmer in the lower pocket of my S25 and a laptop, large document DOP and textbook in the main compartment, my S25 bulges uncomfortably against my back.

I'm currently trying to rearrange my setup so that my hoodie is in the lower pocket and have the SE + SC in the main pocket, but I don't know if that'll help. I'd be very interested in hearing solutions, be it products (packing cubes??) or whatever. The aircon in my school library and lecture rooms is really cold, to the point that even long-sleeved shirts or thinner cardigans don't help me, so I do need an extra layer to stay warm.
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego stripes in cool fabrics or w/ seat belt buckle, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Can you wear it instead of packing it?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Have you considered folding and flat packing it in instead?(together with your laptop) Or roll it long and put it in the center bottle pocket?
    @Moose, at 30-34 degrees Celsius and 90% humidity, that's not an option, she'll be steamed then poached alive once she leaves the air conditioning lol
    That's generally also why the air conditioning is set to near sub zero levels, to combat the heat :S
    ETA: I'm assuming adalangdon is still in Singapore, @Moose, please ignore the comment if she isn't :p
    Last edited by icebeng; 09-01-2014 at 03:21 AM.
    Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Can you wear it instead of packing it?
    Moose
    Yeah, @icebeng is right, alas. You're sweating (buckets, in my case) outside the classroom, then freezing your butt off within 10-15min of stepping in. The situation reminds me of a Japanese hot spring that I went to several years ago. There was a sauna room where we cooked for up to 2 min, after which we were supposed to jump into an ice-cold tub in the adjacent area.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Have you considered folding and flat packing it in instead?(together with your laptop) Or roll it long and put it in the center bottle pocket?
    The water bottle pocket idea would be great for smaller jackets, but mine doesn't fit (I just tried!). Yeah, folding it is definitely an option I'm considering-- more precisely, folding and shoving it into a suitably-sized packing cube for compression, then placing it on top of my books and stuff. No idea what size/brand is good, though; was actually hoping someone could advise on this!
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego stripes in cool fabrics or w/ seat belt buckle, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

How much space(if any) do you have left over in the #4 TSS after the hoodie is in?
    At the listed volume of 5 liters, what I can guess is the following should work well.

Packing Cube Shoulder bag @ 4.5 liters
    Tri-Star Small @ 4 liters
    Western Flyer Small @ 5 liters
    These are the TB options.

The Eagle Creek half cube has a listed volume of 5 liters too. I'm also wondering if the compression cubes would work for you.

How much space(if any) do you have left over in the #4 TSS after the hoodie is in?
    At the listed volume of 5 liters, what I can guess is the following should work well.

Packing Cube Shoulder bag @ 4.5 liters
    Tri-Star Small @ 4 liters
    Western Flyer Small @ 5 liters
    These are the TB options.

The Eagle Creek half cube has a listed volume of 5 liters too. I'm also wondering if the compression cubes would work for you.
    Aw shucks, thanks for this. The PCSB may fit the bill as I have some excess space (between 1" and 1.5") at the top. Plus the zip in front may allow me to squeeze in a spare t-shirt. I know the travel shop at Paragon has Specter cubes so I may go there to have a look, but order online (as you know the markup here is huge). My mother has been wanting a big packing cube so if there's a set that has a size I need, I could split it with her.
    WenV and icebeng like this.

Can you bungee it to the outside of the pack? Maybe lashed to the top handle or that bottom bit of webbing where the guardian light fits? Or get an equivalently warm but thinner and lighter fleece?
    This forum
    might have suggestions for packing your current sweatshirt or offer suggestions for substitutions if you describe your needs in a thread and maybe even post a pic of your pack. Do a seach first. :)
    timothy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Can you bungee it to the outside of the pack? Maybe lashed to the top handle or that bottom bit of webbing where the guardian light fits? Or get an equivalently warm but thinner and lighter fleece?
    This forum
    might have suggestions for packing your current sweatshirt or offer suggestions for substitutions if you describe your needs in a thread and maybe even post a pic of your pack. Do a seach first. :)
    Thanks! I've been considering the lightweight warm fleece thing for a while, actually. But you know, I feel almost ridiculous shopping for fleece when I'm living at the equator and barely travel nowadays. I also find it hard to gauge the relative bulk of the material from photos and descriptions like "5.5oz"-- so it will definitely require further research. But it's on my mind since I'm usually the first to freeze in a group, and indoor aircon here is generally very (unnecessarily) strong.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-01-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    haraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Aw shucks, thanks for this. The PCSB may fit the bill as I have some excess space (between 1" and 1.5") at the top. Plus the zip in front may allow me to squeeze in a spare t-shirt. I know the travel shop at Paragon has Specter cubes so I may go there to have a look, but order online (as you know the markup here is huge). My mother has been wanting a big packing cube so if there's a set that has a size I need, I could split it with her.
    The PCSB can fit horizontally at the bottom of the S25's main compartment, I love it when things fit together like this! ^.^
    As for the mark up, yeah, some friends used to tell me the mark up was to make up for the cost of shipping them here.
    But I found that it could still be cheaper even after factoring in shipping and sometimes Customs charges.
    Since then, our dollar went up, and there's now Free Amazon Global Shipping...
    I don't look at them as stores anymore.... More like product showrooms :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    This forum
    I can't speak for adalangdon, @Dandelion, but personally...
    1) I would have thought of that 1st thing with my old bags, very likely to have done it exactly the way you suggested too.
    2) But now..... "What?! Cover up or obstruct the view to my awesome TB bag?! No way!!!"
    Shallow, I know, sorry :P

I can't speak for adalangdon, @Dandelion, but personally...
    1) I would have thought of that 1st thing with my old bags, very likely to have done it exactly the way you suggested too.
    2) But now..... "What?! Cover up or obstruct the view to my awesome TB bag?! No way!!!"
    Shallow, I know, sorry :P[/QUOTE]

Name:  sweatshirt.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  660.4 KB

S19 with college sweatshirt lashed to the top handle.
    WenV and Ilkyway like this.

Oops! Sorry Dandelion!
    I misunderstood your idea, I was thinking to do it the same way people tie their trekking poles! >.<"

Might you consider merino? (Icebreaker and Ibex are wrapping up their Labor Day sales today, fwiw. :)) If you get a lightweight long-sleeved top (150 weight), and a slightly heavier midlayer (200 or 260), you may find that those two layers keep you warmer than a heavy cotton or synthetic hoodie. Plus it will be easier to pack two separate thin items than one heavy piece.

(As a bonus, I find merino remarkable comfortable even in hot humid places. I wear a short-sleeved merino tee when traveling, and layer on top till I get to my comfort level. I would think a long-sleeved merino top would be just the thing to have with you all the time, ready for, say, an overly air-conditioned movie theater. Or classroom. :))

Thanks! I've been considering the lightweight warm fleece thing for a while, actually. But you know, I feel almost ridiculous shopping for fleece when I'm living at the equator and barely travel nowadays. I also find it hard to gauge the relative bulk of the material from photos and descriptions like "5.5oz"-- so it will definitely require further research. But it's on my mind since I'm usually the first to freeze in a group, and indoor aircon here is generally very (unnecessarily) strong.
    moriond and WenV like this.

Oops! Sorry Dandelion!
    I misunderstood your idea, I was thinking to do it the same way people tie their trekking poles! >.<"
    No worries.

Sweatshirt in Eagle Creek Specter Half Cube.
    Name:  cube.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  567.2 KB

Combine different layers you currently own that are lighter than the sweatshirt with a windbreaker or lightweight rain jacket to retain heat. You might be able to get away with combinations of clothing you already own that pack down smaller than a single sweatshirt.

I too thought of merino layers but they can be kind of bulky to pack. Worth a look though. A patagonia nano puff pullover or vest, while expensive, packs into it's own pocket and weighs ounces. Might be too much insulation for your situation?

I freeze in airconditioned bldgs too. :o\
    haraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Plus it will be easier to pack two separate thin items than one heavy piece.
    ^^^ What this person said. :) Except I would use a lightweight windbreaker as the outer layer for heat retention.
    haraya likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0