• 3 Post By Ineffable
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By bermudajes
  • 1 Post By Ineffable
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 3 Post By itsablur

Thread: Larger Pilot?

Larger Pilot?

I understand that the Pilot is essential a larger Co-Pilot, but in my opinion, there should be something in the pilot family that is the same size as the cadet (perhaps replacing the cadet?). For my use, the cadet would be absolutely perfect, if it had a pocket to carry my coffee tumbler, and the Pilot is so well designed, it would be perfect if only it were a tiny bit larger.

C'est la vie...

The Pilot and the Cadet are pretty close in size as it is. Both as 13-13.5 liters, and dimensions aren't too far off from each other.

Cadet: 16.25" x 12.5" x 4.5" / 410 x 320 x 115 mm
    Pilot: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm

I can already fit a 14-15" laptop in the Pilot, and I don't think a larger laptop would fit in the Cadet. What do you need to carry that fits in one but not the other?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I agree - It looks like a Pilot cannot hold a 15.6" laptop but not having tried a Pilot, I am not 100% sure.

One of my 15.6" laptops has dimensions of 14.7" x 9.8" x 1.4" (on the smaller side for a 15.6" laptop. If this laptop could fit in a pilot with some sleeve (most sleeves for this laptop end up being about 15.5" x 10.5" x 2.5"), I would be interested in a Pilot.

I have not seen anyone try fitting a 15.6" laptop but some other threads show that a 15" MBP will fit but my understanding is that it just barely does and is very tight with a neoprene sleeve. The 15" MBP is about a 1/2 shorter than my laptop so this would lead me to believe my laptop would not fit into the Pilot well. That is one of the reasons I have a Zephyr and perhaps the need for a Cadet if you want a slim solution.

So, a slightly larger Pilot would probably work for me to unless someone has experience fitting a 15.6" laptop in a Pilot.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-05-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I will love to volunteer to post up few photos to see whether my Precision M4600 15.6" would fit my (coming) Steel Dyneema/Steel Pilot.
    But, have to wait until next week - estimated Tues/Wednesday.

In the mean time, my laptop dimension is :
    Width: 14.80"/376mm
    Depth: 10.08"/256mm
    Height: 1.29"-1.44"/32.7-36.8mm

I got a feeling that it would fit. Mostly likely nakedly - without any Cache.
    I don't have any Cache - so couldn't help out on that part.
    tpnl and Ineffable like this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

@weirdguy

That would be great! ... now I have TB anticipation syndrome for some else's TB bag to arrive ... :)

Thanks

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    now I have TB anticipation syndrome for some else's TB bag to arrive ... :)
    - Dr, the patient is showing some very odd signs. Huddled in the corner repeating "HURRAH! ... YOUR TOM BIHN ORDER HAS SHIPPED. ... HURRAH! ... "

- I've seen this before. The patient is suffering from TBAS.

- How should we treat it?

- Unfortunately, the only cure is time. Some users shows minimal signs of relief by keeping their browser open and F5'ing the UPS website - though this did seem to increase anxiety in others. Let's just get this patient some water and hope we don't find them slouched by the mail slot. God rest their soul
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

I will try to take some photos at the office tomorrow or Friday. We've got a few 15.6" laptops around, though the largest is probably a Lenovo ThinkPad W510/W520 (14.68" x 9.65" x 1.44" / 373 x 245 x 35.8 mm).

For reference, I have easily fit a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with extended battery right in the main compartment both naked, and with an old InCase sleeve for a 2006 MacBook Pro 15". I can't find the official measurements of the laptop with the extended battery, but a Laptop Magazine review says it is 13.4" x 10" x 1" with the 9-cell battery (adds about an inch of depth). The old InCase sleeve measures 14.6" x 13.1" x 2.2" (and the laptop fits comfortably in there). From my recollection, it was a close fit not so much because of the width, but because of the height of the laptop sleeve which had to be pushed down. It's a really tall sleeve, even for the MBP that used to live in it.

If your laptop is close to those measurements, it will probably fit naked. I think I've even got a large Lenovo sleeve meant for the W520 I can try (it also has a lot of slack since I can fit a power adapter in there with room to spare).
    tpnl and weirdguy like this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    Some users shows minimal signs of relief by keeping their browser open and F5'ing the UPS website - though this did seem to increase anxiety in others.
    Why do I keep doing this?! Especially when UPS has been telling me "Next Scheduled Event: Thursday,08/07/2014 by 11:59 P.M." for the past two days. Patience is just a virtue I do not possess.

@bermudajes I'm just as bad =) Even though UPS sends me a text message with every status update (and fairly promptly I should add), I still sit with their window open all day when I'm awaiting some TB goodness.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I agree - It looks like a Pilot cannot hold a 15.6" laptop but not having tried a Pilot, I am not 100% sure.

One of my 15.6" laptops has dimensions of 14.7" x 9.8" x 1.4" (on the smaller side for a 15.6" laptop. If this laptop could fit in a pilot with some sleeve (most sleeves for this laptop end up being about 15.5" x 10.5" x 2.5"), I would be interested in a Pilot.
    If you work/live in downtown Toronto and have a laptop you want to try, you can always take a look at the Steel dyneema Pilot I have and try to fit your laptop into it. Just let me know.

I still haven't switched to the Pilot; tags are still on and it's pretty much still in the box. I'm fairly certain I'll keep it (steel 400d!) since I think it will be a better travel bag and a better sized work bag/sometimes laptop carry. Just not sure if I should keep my CP or not in addition to the Pilot (somewhat redundant, but not?).
    tpnl and Trevorro like this.

Here is a Lenovo W520 with extended battery in the back of the Pilot. I was rushing out of the office, so didn't take a full suite of photos as I would have liked. Will take more Monday.

The laptop fit fine once you got it initially past the zippers. I didn't try it with the case I have since I was running out the door, but it would probably be toughest just getting it past the zipper, but carry fine if you can get it in the bag.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I sold my copilot when I got my pilot and am now expecting a new copilot. I found that the pilot is really too big for some uses, knitting daytrip, other daytrips requiring lunch, jacket, water. If the pilot is underpacked i find it floppy. I have been thinking about cutting a piece of coroplast to fit in the back to give more rigidity.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0