Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By dalupus
  • 1 Post By timothy
  • 5 Post By dalupus
  • 1 Post By timothy
  • 1 Post By dalupus
  • 2 Post By dalupus
  • 1 Post By GoStanford
  • 1 Post By timothy
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By GoStanford

Thread: why no loops on small outside pouches on night flight duffle

why no loops on small outside pouches on night flight duffle

I am curious why on the night flight duffle the small little outside pouches don't have O-rings. This would be an ideal place to hook on a TB wallet pouch or whatever that could be quickly taken out while still attached.
    Last edited by dalupus; 07-31-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Super Moderator
    Strongly agreed on this front! For the next rev, I hope that happens. I have been coveting the Night Flight (mine is on back-order) since I first saw it -- will improve my under-seat storage system quite a bit. I hadn't thought much about the keystraps, but I had figured (incorrectly) that at least one outsite pocket would have a ring for them -- I ordered a couple of straps along with the NF for that reason ;)
    eWalker likes this.

I took for granted that there would be the same as the A45!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

To be clear I am talking about the small pockets on the side. There is the main compartment which has o rings and the two large side compartments which also have them. It is the small pockets that have their zippers on the ends of the bag that don't have them.
    Sorry for the massive picture I don't see a way to make it smaller using the forum UI
    Name:  iPhoto.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  358.9 KB

Super Moderator
    That's where I'd like an O-ring, too, besides those places where they already exist ;) That's where I'd want to put (at least be able to put) keys, wallet, phone. (Would like a phone case with a lanyard attachment, too ...)
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dalupus View Post
    Sorry for the massive picture I don't see a way to make it smaller using the forum UI
    Try JPEG Optimizer - Compress and Resize Your Digital Photos Online

BTW what did you use to make the arrow? :Curious:
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-31-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Try JPEG Optimizer - Compress and Resize Your Digital Photos Online

BTW what did you use to make the arrow? :Curious:
    Thanks for the link. I'll use that next time.

I used skitch to make the arrow.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    That's where I'd like an O-ring, too, besides those places where they already exist ;) That's where I'd want to put (at least be able to put) keys, wallet, phone. (Would like a phone case with a lanyard attachment, too ...)
    Agreed, That is the one place on the whole bag where I would most like to have an O-ring.
    eWalker and RobNC like this.

Not to derail topic, but another observation about this bag on my recent flight. When retrieving from under the seat, I tended to reach for the top of the bag to try to grab it out, but the handles on the side pockets are reachable from the base of the bag only. Aah, I'm not describing this well. The grab handles need to be grabbed from their base, and it's easier to reach for their top. Maybe if one of you has the same experience, you can rephrase it.
    eWalker likes this.

Super Moderator
    Not to derail topic, but another observation about this bag on my recent flight. When retrieving from under the seat, I tended to reach for the top of the bag to try to grab it out, but the handles on the side pockets are reachable from the base of the bag only. Aah, I'm not describing this well. The grab handles need to be grabbed from their base, and it's easier to reach for their top. Maybe if one of you has the same experience, you can rephrase it.
    Is "needs grab handles on the outside of the end pockets" a good summary?
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I don't have an NFTD, but looking at the photos is it because of side bag handles look like they are quite literally at the bottom of the side panels, and unlike other larger travel bags, and only an "upward" handle? Bags like the A30/45 and TS have full grab handles on the sides, so you can approach from any angle. Reading your description and looking at the photo, if the bag is on the floor under the seat in front of you, you would basically need to reach completely to the floor to grab the bag from this handle. Doesn't sound easy in tight coach seats, especially if you're a little bigger or not flexible like an experienced Yogi. The top handle would be ~9" higher off the floor, though set back farther on the bag, making it less of a bend to get to.

Does that describe the problem?
    eWalker and RobNC like this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Is "needs grab handles on the outside of the end pockets" a good summary?
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I don't have an NFTD, but looking at the photos is it because of side bag handles look like they are quite literally at the bottom of the side panels, and unlike other larger travel bags, and only an "upward" handle? Bags like the A30/45 and TS have full grab handles on the sides, so you can approach from any angle. Reading your description and looking at the photo, if the bag is on the floor under the seat in front of you, you would basically need to reach completely to the floor to grab the bag from this handle. Doesn't sound easy in tight coach seats, especially if you're a little bigger or not flexible like an experienced Yogi. The top handle would be ~9" higher off the floor, though set back farther on the bag, making it less of a bend to get to.

Does that describe the problem?
    Thank you both for articulating this - @itsablur, yes, your assessment is correct. The pockets/handles are indeed a bit hard to reach in their current location. Still a delightful bag but just something I noticed.
    eWalker likes this.