Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree22Likes
  • 5 Post By SKIMT
  • 8 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By chrisc983
  • 3 Post By PaulT00
  • 2 Post By ClaireJ
  • 3 Post By timothy

Thread: I'm up to nearly $1200 in TB Gear

I'm up to nearly $1200 in TB Gear

I just received another order today! Everyone in our family now has a Synapse and just about every accessory to fill it including stuff sacks, packing cubes, pouches, travel tray, etc...

Given we only learned about TB about a year ago we've done a pretty good job of doing our part to keep the lights on. I realize the addiction will never go away....but am going to pause and enjoy this gear for a while.

You guys absolutely rock. Everything is first class from the website, customer service, the message board, USA made, quality of fabrics, selection, and creating a solution for problems we didn't know existed. I've showed several friends what I consider to be the best gear in the world and hope to get others into the fold....but so far I haven't had any takers.

Keep up the good work! My vote now is for some golf gear and of maybe some ski stuff.

Tips Up,
    SkiMT

Been there, done that (or is it "Bihn there, done that"?). :)

I think I'll just work $500 into the annual budget for new TB gear. Might as well just budget it in instead of it being a surprise purchase at some point in the year, right?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I'm up to nearly $1200 in TB Gear

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Been there, done that (or is it "Bihn there, done that"?). :)

I think I'll just work $500 into the annual budget for new TB gear. Might as well just budget it in instead of it being a surprise purchase at some point in the year, right?
    That's actually a good idea I might start doing that. When I get my tax returns I'll set aside a Bihn fund. My wife as a LV fund when we do taxes.
    jess likes this.

@itsablur, that is a good suggestion - a TB Annual Budget.

I think for TB's New Member like me, it would exceed an initial $500 Annual Budget - if you intend to have one-bag-carry travel.
    As New Member will be getting Packing Cube, Shoulder Strap, Travel Sack/Tray - all those small accessories for the first time. I believe once those small accessories had been sorted out, there is less possibility of spending more than $500 Annual Budget.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

+2 for annual budget starting in 2015. $500 sounds fair UNTIL my wife visits and uses it up. (;

I'm halfway there and I haven't even received my first order. And there are still gifts I'm considering once I confirm I love my stuff. I would love to buy myself a $500 gift card every year. Then I just might stick to a budget. And that's $500 per individual in the household right? Pets count too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prompted by this thread, I just did a quick tally.

At current retail, my TB collection is up to at least $1775. Of course at least 2/3 of that value was purchased used, and only a few items came direct from the factory, but the new items would have cost extra in shipping, import duty and taxes. At a rough guess I'd say I've spent well in excess of 1000 all told to date... in about 2 years. Which would make my annual budget, averaged out, something nearer $1000 than $500!

That doesn't count the new stuff I'm currently thinking of ordering, of course... an A30 and a couple of Q-Kits and maybe a shop bag or two...
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

I just can't afford a collection at this point. I have a Tristar, a 3D clear organizer cube and a keystrap, which takes me to just over $300 at the prices I paid when I bought them. I would like to have a Western Flyer someday, but that's it for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid. Buying what I did was an extravagance for me already - and honestly I am fully prepared for one-bag travel as I am now. :)

Phew, I feel a bit better about my Tom Bihn spending over the last ten months now! Of course, while there is a bit of sticker shock with TB purchases, I think it's clearly worth it for the quality. I've been more than happy with every single TB purchase I've made (the only exception being when I've taken chances on new colors - not every color works for me, but this is easily remedied by returning or swapping for a different color). Although I'm bound to keep tweaking my set-up and finding new ways to up my organization using TB items, I feel confident that what I currently have will last me for a very long time of very regular use and is worth the $$!

Super Moderator
    Darcy: Free idea for next year's April 1: Introducing Tom Bihn Subscriptions: One Price for an Unknown Number of Bags. You might be flooded ;)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0