• 2 Post By ilikepie
  • 2 Post By Ilkyway
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By celtical
  • 1 Post By daisy
  • 1 Post By GoStanford

Thread: Purist label dilemma!

Purist label dilemma!

Ok, so I'm one of the purple lovers in this neck of the TB woods. Honestly, I'm many other things, too, but that's what's been showing up here!

My conflict is around the Tom Bihn Label. Lovely as it is and as much as I believe in giving credit where due, the aesthetics of the red airplane in my aubergine/UV/steel universe is a bit distracting.

I love the subtle and classy tag on my Aubergine SE which is out of the way, but present. Not so much the disproportionately large label on the front of my Black D/UV SCB. I'll just put it out there that I'm thinking of removing it.

Am I alone in this? Is it blasphemy? Is there a better way?
    Last edited by celtical; 07-25-2014 at 11:52 AM.

You are not alone. I removed the tag on my s25 bc I just felt it was too prominent—front and center on the bag. The S25's shape is very distinctive on its own. And I love the black dyneema grid so much, I felt the big tag was taking away from the beauty of the fabric. I know, blasphemy, but I never plan on selling that bag, and if anyone asks I always tell them it is TB. I would love to see a special tag, like the Tristar has, for the s19/25.

Removing the tag did reveal two placement punch holes...small but they are there. Tag remover beware ;)
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Obviously variety is the very spice of life, so modifying and otherwise customizing your bag should be celebrated. I personally like the label even though I’m actually sort of an anti-label kind of guy. To me the TB bags are so unique in all aspects I sort of like celebrating the company, but again to each their own.

I generally remove labels. I don't have tattoos, either.

It is your bag! I put sizers to mine whenever I want to. Not as a means to be disrespectful but for personalize them as needed. How on earth shall one person or company be able to make THE bag to rule them all? Tom Bihn designs extremely well thought out bags. Anyway, do you think he of all people would get mad at you for changing them to your needs? I cant believe that. He is so concerned with making bags that will work for people and not as a status-symbol. So if you have to change your bag to make it even better for your needs, I can not believe he'll mind. This company could be where it is, when labels was all he would think about. Or that is what I think.

That said: I too have a problem with red on purple. But I have another problem too: I like this plane. I thought about muting the red by going lightly over it with an adding (sharpy I think you call them?).

Ilkyway
    K9TB and celtical like this.

I think you should keep it, it is the way to show how much you value made in the U.S.A items and the loving care and very hard work, the Crew puts in making those lovely Bags and Accessories.

The TB tag is sort of free advertising for the time when your TB Bag is doing all the selling, due to its good look.

It will happen when a TB owner is too far to be talked to, like in an airport, train station, bus/boat/shuttle terminal, at a store, fair or farmer's market (if the person is in another aisle).

I also find that the labels are part of the Bags and Accessories, they look good and match with their owners.

Oh funny, Ilkway! I thought of the sharpie fix, too! I wondered about a blue that would turn the plane purple!

I guess it would be worth experirimenting with if it may be removed anyway. I do wish the'd just do a blue plane! Or, use the SE style side labels on the bags, especially the smaller ones.
    Ilkyway likes this.

celtical as I said I love the label, so I can not bring myself to cut it off, but I like the idea with the blue sharpie.

backpack, pleas don't think me disrespectful. There are so many ways to honor good work. My way might be different but it is not without feeling and loving the great work behind thous bags I am using every day.

Ilkyway

Yes, honoring the work is a priority which takes many forms.

I have a MCB in storm that I will be removing the label from as i find it too prominent against the light colour of the bag.

The label on my navy SCB is fine though as the bag is dark and the label doesn't stand out. (And it is a portable culture tag and i really like it)

I say do what you need to in order to enjoy the bag.
    List under construction ....

I just got a fabric 3D PC and I wish the TB label was BIGGER!!!
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....

Quote Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
    I just got a fabric 3D PC and I wish the TB label was BIGGER!!!
    Haha - I like this! You know how fashion cycles through big labels splashed on everything and then to inconspicuous or absent labels? What if there were a TB bag that was plastered with labels on the outside? Might make a big statement! But not part of the company's aesthetic, I think. :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0