Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Steely McSteelpants

Steely McSteelpants

That's what I want you to call me from now on.

I have a few pieces of 200d Steel Dyneema: a Side Effect, PCSB, packing cubes, and OPs. I have a few pieces of 400d Steel Dyneema: Large Shop Bag and an Aeronaut (which is Steel/Steel...an unexpected awesomeness). I have a Black/Steel SA and Pilot. That's a fair bit of Steel.

I have a few pieces of 400d Black Dyneema: a PCSB, a Large Shop Bag, a Little Swift.

I get why TB doesn't carry both colors in the 400d weight any longer. They are very similar. I like Black; it is classy and the white grid really pops. But I love Steel and in my heart of hearts, I wish that Black had gone away and Steel had remained. I'm glad that we still have Steel as a 200d option, and in Cordura, Parapack, and Ballistic. But Steel 400d was something special. It was Black with a smile on its face. It was is Black on Friday evening after a cold beer. It was the color of a bad guy's outfit if he was going to turn into a hero at the end of the book. It was 15 pieces of flair on the outside but a thousand on the inside.

Maybe when this batch of 400d Black runs out, 400d Steel will come back. Until then, I remain -

Steely McSteelpants
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Request permission to join this club.

And nominate myself vice president. I'll even take the position of secretary (*feminist shudder*).

The Steel Dyneema is so incredibly unique, sort of stormy and then sort of bright--"the color of a bad guy's outfit if he was going to turn into a hero at the end of the book."

That.

I must join this club, as well! I am an ardent lover of 400d steel!! Go Steely McSteelpants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    That's what I want you to call me from now on.
    Ok, but only if we can call your steely ninja cat Daylight Watermelon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added a Steel Dyneema Side Effect into 1 of my orders as it was retiring.
    It was an impulse buy and I felt a little guilty doing that, but once it arrived, I was really taken with how it looks. That same order had a Black Dyneema Side Effect and although I think the Black Dyneema looks sharp, it just didn't match up to the Steel Dyneema.

Grabbed a Pilot in Steel Dyneema after that, this one's my go to whenever I need to haul the company laptop around. It gets a fair bit of compliments whenever I go, and stands out sufficiently from a sea of black computer bags without screaming.

Shop bags, both sizes. I wasn't expecting mine to be in the 400d. Someone in the forums had mentioned it, but I thought they were a small and rare batch like the 400d Steel Dyneema PCSBs. Was really chuffed to find that they were in fact in 400d.

So between 400d Black Dyneema and 400d Steel Dyneema, my vote goes to Steel. Definitely hope it can be revived in future, when situation permits.

I feel like a conspirator whispering in the back room of a cafe, organizing a revolution. Except I'm in my PJs at my desk, and there's no whispering on an open forum, and the kids are asleep so there's no one to make me a coffee.

Viva La Steel!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Ok, but only if we can call your steely ninja cat Daylight Watermelon.

Done! It's better than what I call him: Cathole.

His real name is Mephisto. I call him The Cathole because when you anthropomorphize his personality, he's a real jerk. He's kind of cat who claws your bare skin when you pet him. He runs between your legs to trip you, then gets mad when you when you kick him by accident. He hacked up a hairball in my new A45 minutes after I unpacked it when we got home from Denver! I was like, seriously? Did you hold it in for a whole week just waiting for that opportunity? He's also a fighter. He moved in to our house - we didn't invite him! - when there were four dogs in residence. Within 10 minutes he had drawn blood on four muzzles and the dogs never looked at him again. So yeah...Cathole.

I am really a huge fan of all the 400d Dyneema colors, but my first one was a steel/steel LCB. Have thought at times I would rather have a black 400d LCB, especially after I got a 400d black PCSB, but I don't think I could ever give up the steel. Such a great color and I was sad to see it go.

Am I going to be shot in this thread, if I confess, that I cave my Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet S19 to my Aunt? I liked the color, without a doubt, but I love my Nordic/Solar S19 and at that point I thought: one of each has to be enough... if it was not for my Aunt, whom I dearly love, I might have second thoughts now.
    I love switching colors now because with Tom Bihn it is so easy: just get all the pouches out and in the new bag... and I am ready to go. But just two days ago, she wrote a Mail, telling me that she uses it every day. So I am glad she has it, with me it would have seen fresh air only now and than.

I know, that statistically black is the most bought and most used color in bags. So many people think, black suits them just because it does not interfere with other colors. But they overlook that most Caucasians get drained by black to the point where they just look too pale. I'd wish more people would see, that gray (read Steel Dyneema here) is as versatile and classy as black but without being harsh.

So at the bottom of all my "blabla" I am saying: my vote for 400er Steel Dyneema! And for Steely McSteelpants! And for her cat! And for this Forum! And for Chocolate! (How many votes do I get by the way???)

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post

I know, that statistically black is the most bought and most used color in bags. So many people think, black suits them just because it does not interfere with other colors. But they overlook that most Caucasians get drained by black to the point where they just look too pale. I'd wish more people would see, that gray (read Steel Dyneema here) is as versatile and classy as black but without being harsh.

Ilkyway
    You are so right, Ilkyway! A small cafe bag in black dyneema is my limit, sharp but too stark. My Steel dyneema/UV S19 is so much more versatile in terms of color.

Steel Dyneema is the perfect neutral that dresses up with black or tones wonderfully with blue denim. It kind of says, 'I have fabulous taste in bags but don't take myself too seriously!'

If I hadn't arrived at the end of the run, I would have LOVED a P or CP! I do hope they'll bring back the Steel!!
    Last edited by celtical; 07-19-2014 at 05:26 AM.

I officially cemented my membership in the the pro-steel fraction: ordered the steel/steel NFTD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hereby offer allegiance to the Club. my first Tom Bihn purchase was a MCB in Steel/Cayenne. I have not bought a new EDC since (excluding the LCB I just purchased because it was black dyneema/solar and I had to have it.)

I thought you more like the co-founder since I saw the picture you took of your steel-ensemble when you where in Germany ;-)

I officially cemented my membership in the the pro-steel fraction: ordered the steel/steel NFTD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're totally right! I think you're starting to get mystical forum memory powers like @moriond!

The first TB bag I got was a steel dyneema small shop bag. My favorite is my steel ballistic little swift, and I have 3 steel side effects (cordura, parapack, ballistic). Not to mention a steel dyneema A45 and steel ballistic TS and Imago. The NFTD will be very welcome in this crowd!

I think you're starting to get mystical forum memory powers like @moriond!
    I'd wish for that but my memory is... well lets just leaf that word to the imagination, but the shot was taken in Germany, that helped remembering.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast