Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Steely McSteelpants

Starting to re-think bringing home my black A30...given all the steel love. :)

Ah, do not let yourself get confused. 1. with travalbags the color is least important because you won't where it on a date/business-dinner or a fun night out. 2. black IS a classic (what ever you hear me say about this color, nobody will think you having bad taste if you are seen with a black bag). 3. if you ever, along the road, find you'd better have another color, just sell your black one (holds value, as we had seen here so often, very good) and get yourself the color of your choice then.

So no harm done and nothing set in stone forever. And Steel Ballistic is not the same neutral color as steel dyneema.

Ilkyway

Thank you for your common sense advice, @Ilkyway! I really LOVE steel dyneema, but I was unsure if I was ready to start a long-term commitment with a steel ballistic bag yet. Too funny (me). Now if they had not discontinued the large bags in steel dyneema, that would have been another thing. ;)

ETA: It seems I have started to anthropomorphize my TB bags, as I talk about my long-term, marriage type commitment to them, worry about whether I am neglecting certain ones, take them out sight seeing, and spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing about them and photographing them in different poses like they are my children. But I am sure that is perfectly normal, lol.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-19-2014 at 08:52 AM.

There can be room in our hearts for Black, too...but Steel gets the biggest spot. :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

My first major bag purchase from TB was a steel dyneema/wasabi S25. It is perfect for my use. Very sharp looking, but neutral. Although I adore bright colors, you musn't wear them when birding or monkeying. You need to blend in more with the environment. And you don't want to be absorbing too much heat from the tropical sun. And this my S25 does admirably, yet it is so sophisticated looking at the same time. And it doesn't show dirt. When I purchased the CP, I chose black dyneema for a change-up. I loved it too, with it always looking like it was dressed up in its black tuxedo and ready for a soiree, but I really love the relaxed tone of steel dyneema.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Yes, I also love the celebrated steel dyneema which was the color/fabric that first attracted me to TB. I’ve accumulated four bags in the versatile color along with one bag each in Nordic and black dyneema. While I love Nordic and appreciate black I prefer steel as it seems unique and conventional at the same time.

I’ve never really heard why steel and Nordic exterior fabrics and solar interiors are being discontinued. I know they’re very popular with those of us who post on the forum, but maybe they weren’t as popular with the average TB customer.

I have to agree with all the rave reviews for steel! It is the perfect chameleon color - masculine, feminine, work-appropriate or casual, it can go with black, brown, or colors. I can wear a steel bag with anything and know it'll look great - at least the bag will! ; D

I'm all about basic black, but it seems stark to me in ballisticky things (so office!), or Dyneema-y things (too much contrast!). Steel is the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Am I going to be shot in this thread, if I confess, that I cave my Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet S19 to my Aunt? I liked the color, without a doubt, but I love my Nordic/Solar S19 and at that point I thought: one of each has to be enough... if it was not for my Aunt, whom I dearly love, I might have second thoughts now.
    I love switching colors now because with Tom Bihn it is so easy: just get all the pouches out and in the new bag... and I am ready to go. But just two days ago, she wrote a Mail, telling me that she uses it every day. So I am glad she has it, with me it would have seen fresh air only now and than.

I know, that statistically black is the most bought and most used color in bags. So many people think, black suits them just because it does not interfere with other colors. But they overlook that most Caucasians get drained by black to the point where they just look too pale. I'd wish more people would see, that gray (read Steel Dyneema here) is as versatile and classy as black but without being harsh.

So at the bottom of all my "blabla" I am saying: my vote for 400er Steel Dyneema! And for Steely McSteelpants! And for her cat! And for this Forum! And for Chocolate! (How many votes do I get by the way???)

Ilkyway
    Ilkyway, this is exactly why I ordered by A30 in Steel--I just have too many black bags. I agree, too, that black can be quite harsh on many skin tones...

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I added a Steel Dyneema Side Effect into 1 of my orders as it was retiring.
    It was an impulse buy and I felt a little guilty doing that, but once it arrived, I was really taken with how it looks. That same order had a Black Dyneema Side Effect and although I think the Black Dyneema looks sharp, it just didn't match up to the Steel Dyneema.

Grabbed a Pilot in Steel Dyneema after that, this one's my go to whenever I need to haul the company laptop around. It gets a fair bit of compliments whenever I go, and stands out sufficiently from a sea of black computer bags without screaming.

Shop bags, both sizes. I wasn't expecting mine to be in the 400d. Someone in the forums had mentioned it, but I thought they were a small and rare batch like the 400d Steel Dyneema PCSBs. Was really chuffed to find that they were in fact in 400d.

So between 400d Black Dyneema and 400d Steel Dyneema, my vote goes to Steel. Definitely hope it can be revived in future, when situation permits.
    As I shared on the Nordic loving thread :) I was at the store yesterday and there is one 400D black dyneema PCSB floating around. It's kind of killing me that I had to leave it, but I got a black 400D SE and do truly love the size. Just saying. In case anyone might need it. Not listed on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    There can be room in our hearts for Black, too...but Steel gets the biggest spot. :-)

Owhh...I am starting to doubt your commitment, o captain my captain.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    Owhh...I am starting to doubt your commitment, o captain my captain.
    We can love all the TB colors, but it's nice if we love Steel the most. :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    We can love all the TB colors, but it's nice if we love Steel the most. :-)
    See, I am still questioning the lasting nature of your love for Steel Dyneema. I would like to note that you did put yourself in a position of being held to a very high standard. After all, you did say that you wanted to be referred to as Steely McSteelpants---not Steely McSometimesSteelpants, or Steely McSteelpants except-when-my-pants-are-dirty-and-then-I-am McAllColorspants.

Your reign had such a strong start...

@mjpinter, I suspect Janine was just being polite and tossing me a crumb. No need to impeach her over a small kindness like that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @mjpinter, I suspect Janine was just being polite and tossing me a crumb. No need to impeach her over a small kindness like that. :)
    Fair enough ;)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast