Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Waiting for Field Journal Notebook

Waiting for Field Journal Notebook

I never ordered a Field Journal Notebook because by the time I became aware of them, they were issued only in Parapack, and I prefer Cordura or ballistic nylon. I'm looking forward to the re-issue of the FJN - I hope I'm not the only one. Would be amazing to see it in burnt orange!

I believe there is a re-design in the works.

I am curious - what did people feel could be improved?

iPad support for one, I believe. It'll be nice to be able to use an iPad in the FJN while taking notes or sketching, etc.

And maybe more o-rings?
    Has anyone ever objected to more o-rings?
    Is there such a thing as too many o-rings? Lol
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-18-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Is there such a thing as too many o-rings? Lol

Looked it up in my dictionary. Reporting back: no such thing.

I would love one in a bright cordura or dyneeema (!!!!), with some kind of ipad mini insert. Maybe just in time for Christmas shopping, pretty please?

I keep looking that the FNJ wondering if I should get one for my BFF since she's one of the two artists among my friends. I think she would like this because she could have the paper and her drawing tools all in one zippered thing that way she doesn't have to pull out five different things from the depths of her purse whenever she wants to draw. Now that I know there's going to be a redesign, I'm going to hold out a bit. :D
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    I would love one in a bright cordura or dyneeema (!!!!), with some kind of ipad mini insert. Maybe just in time for Christmas shopping, pretty please?
    I would also like to see one in brighter colors. Muted ones are good too, but I feel like a lot of the offerings lately (besides French Blue and Burnt Orange and UV) are more geared toward being unobtrusive/business like. (Though, I can't really comment on that considering pretty much everything I own is black/solar or steel or navy. XD)
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Quote Originally Posted by al85 View Post
    I keep looking that the FNJ wondering if I should get one for my BFF since she's one of the two artists among my friends. I think she would like this because she could have the paper and her drawing tools all in one zippered thing that way she doesn't have to pull out five different things from the depths of her purse whenever she wants to draw. Now that I know there's going to be a redesign, I'm going to hold out a bit. :D
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think what was mentioned is that they had plans for an update, it's not clear when though.
    What I do know, is that they're not going to release the updated version until it is absolutely perfect, which might take a while, or longer.
    Just thought I'll mentioned that, in case you ended up waiting too long.
    If you're waiting for cute colors though, that shouldn't take long.
    And the often given and very sound advice of "If you see an item in a color you like, GRAB IT FAST!", is probably one of the most useful (and gratifying :P) I have ever learned. ^.^

What I do know, is that they're not going to release the updated version until it is absolutely perfect, which might take a while, or longer.
    Just thought I'll mentioned that, in case you ended up waiting too long.
    If you're waiting for cute colors though, that shouldn't take long.
    She has plenty of sketchbooks and art supplies for probably the next three years, so I'm perfectly fine waiting until the TB crew perfects the new FNJ. :D As for colors, she's the one who likes the bright stuff which is why I mention it. I'm really trying to get her to become a TB fan. XD

I am holding out for an updated, lovely, bright color for the FJN. If I purchased one, it would be my forever notebook, so it's worth waiting for the perfect color and layout.

Well, I checked in with the Crew, and learned that there are no immediate plans for Cordura runs of the FJN, and it is uncertain which materials will be used in the next run. Hannah mentioned that if there is Cordura, it will likely not be till the end of the year. I really hope to see some bright colors!

If anybody has a FJN they are willing to part with, please PM me.

My ipad mini fits perfectly in the outside pocket...
    Gulfcoastgal. .....

ISO. Cork LS
    ISO. Red LS / Swift. & Azalea Swift

In my TB fleet:
    Swift: Turquoise ! /Cork/Black Dyneema
    LS:Turquoise ! /Azalea/black dyneema
    Shop bag: big : Black / Solar
    Shop bag Small: Black /Solar/UV
    PCSB: Iberian x2 /UV
    SE: solarx2/Black dyneema x2
    Aeronaut: cardinal in A-45. / Black Dyneema in A-30
    Field journal : plum and now the Cordura RED that matches my cardinal A-45 perfectly now belongs to Hubs- matches his red Imago old style

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Well, I checked in with the Crew, and learned that there are no immediate plans for Cordura runs of the FJN, and it is uncertain which materials will be used in the next run. Hannah mentioned that if there is Cordura, it will likely not be till the end of the year. I really hope to see some bright colors!

If anybody has a FJN they are willing to part with, please PM me.
    GoStanford, could we dissect what you found out for fun?
    If we rule out Cordura for now, that leaves Dyneema, Parapack and Ballistic Nylon, so I'm wondering if Dyneema or Ballistic Nylon was used for the FJN before? And would those be suitable for FJN construction?

GoStanford, could we dissect what you found out for fun?
    If we rule out Cordura for now, that leaves Dyneema, Parapack and Ballistic Nylon, so I'm wondering if Dyneema or Ballistic Nylon was used for the FJN before? And would those be suitable for FJN construction?
    I don't know if anything other than Cordura was used in the past (before Parapack most recently). Maybe one of the experienced moderators/users will chime in. I suspect that Dyneema doesn't have the rigidity needed to support the drawing materials many people keep in the FJN, but this is only speculation. Hannah didn't mention anything about a redesign, so if there are links that anybody can provide to mentions of that, it would be great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0