Thread: 'O' ring tape

'O' ring tape

I've noticed that the tape used to secure the 'O' rings has changed from a couple of years ago-- the sort used now is a lot thinner. It's fine in principle, but I have noticed that the thinner tape twists a lot more easily. This is inconvenient when one has a whole bunch of pouches attached the O ring. In the SCB, where space for manoeuvre is limited, pulling the pouches out can have the effect of twisting the tape badly. I found this was much less of a problem with the older, thicker tape. In the pictures I've attached, the Azalea/Sapphire bag has the old one while the Plum/Wasabi has the new one.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one experiencing this problem. I use multiple pouches in my SCBs to organise 90% of my EDC, which may be unusual. But I'm wondering if someone from the crew might mind explaining why the tape the was changed, and if it might be possible to go back to the old type...? Thanks!

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  152.7 KB
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  137.5 KB

Interesting - I've not had the problem as my only CB has the "thicker" (and wider) tape - which has "ribs" running the length of the tape - it actually looks a little different to your first pic. I too use lots of attached pouches.

I notice the o-ring attachment in my shop bag is of the other kind - tape that is thinner, narrower and has the grain running across the tape (like your second picture)... Perhaps it is easier to sew and exposes more of the ring ... all the better to attach things to.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Interesting - I've not had the problem as my only CB has the "thicker" (and wider) tape - which has "ribs" running the length of the tape - it actually looks a little different to your first pic. I too use lots of attached pouches.
    Oh, mine has the ribs too! It's just not very apparent in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Oh, mine has the ribs too! It's just not very apparent in the photo.

I thought that may have been the case - the lighter weight tape certainly does twist more easily.

It's interesting how the tiniest changes can significantly alter our perception of a product - i have a MCB languishing in the wardrobe because it has the stiff strap - I have used it once and it drove me nuts. My SCB with the soft strap is used almost daily.
    List under construction ....

Volunteer Moderator
    I'm not certain, but I think the changeover to the lighter weight tape for O-rings took place when they were moving over to the manufacture of more bags and accessories in Parapack and 400d Dyneema. Again, you may find that the presence of a "Made in U.S.A." instead of a "Portable Culture" label one indicator of the change in O-ring tape, which seems to have taken place in early 2013. I know this affected all O-rings sewn with black tape (including shop bags, the extra O-rings added to the Synapses, Side Effects, etc. Note that the heavier tape is still being used for the exterior O-rings of organizer cubes. I'd be curious whether this is also true of the interior O-rings of bags using Coyote color webbing (like the Lead's pocket for the Guide's Pack and the Founder's Briefcase). I did notice that even the O-Rings in my Smart Alec lower modular pocket, ordered more than a year after my Smart Alec and Upper Modular Pocket, use the lighter weight tape for O-rings, in contrast to these earlier bags.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0