• 1 Post By itsablur
  • 3 Post By Melissa
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Melissa
  • 2 Post By Grandcache

Thread: Homemade Packing Folder for the Aeronaut

Homemade Packing Folder for the Aeronaut

I like using packing folders to keep my button down shirts from wrinkling. However, most of the packing folders on the market weren't really designed to be used in the Aeronaut because they take up end compartment room.

But what if we made a packing folder than fit the Aeronaut perfectly? I haven't actually tried this idea but wanted to run it by the folks here who know the bag.

You would need:

Large Aeronaut Packing cube
    Two pieces of cardboard or plastic cut to fit the inside of the packing cube.

Here how it would work:

One piece of cardboard/plastic would go into the bottom of the packing cube. The other one would be used as a packing board to fold shirts so they fit into the packing cube. The shirts would be alternately layered to maximize packing room.

When done, the second piece of cardboard/plastic would go on top of the shirts and the cube would be zipped shut.

Then, the cube would go into the center compartment of the Aeronaut and the internal tie down straps would keep it snugly in place.

Less movement, less wrinkles. The boards would keep the tie down straps from causing the shirts to bunch up from the sides.

What do you think? Theoretically, should it work?

I'm also guessing this might work with a combination of clothes in the packing cube--shirts, pants, jackets, etc.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Hi Frank,

I bet it will work!

I have been thinking on something like this, but using End Pocket Packing Cube.
    Why? Because most rock and roll happens when the Aeronaut is sideways,

I thought about using 4 EPPC on the main compartment. I got this idea from here.

The added benefit of this configuration would be direct access to all PC, like expansion cards in a horizontal desktop computer.

What do you think?
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 shipment : 5 days to go!!

I have been waiting (unfortunately in vain) for a black/Iberian WF to come up for for sale/trade before I leave to Italy in 10 days. Since it looks like it won't happen, I will be taking my Aeronaut. I am bringing quite a few linen pieces to help keep cool. Linen wrinkles like no other fabric, so I'm going to try your idea for packing with the boards! Will report back in a couple weeks!
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I don't see how this wouldn't work. Pretty clever idea. I just hope that my shirts aren't so wide (i.e. am I that fat?) to the point that I'm putting in more fold with the folding board than I would with the ol' packing folder. From what I remember of my old Eagle Creek (that I honestly don't use much; I find it too heavy), it was basically fold the arms/sides in, then fold in half. Given that the packing cube is a little wider than half a big packing folder, that probably adds at least one fold...

Worth trying out!
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Short Listed: Night Flight, Guide's Pack, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19, Daylight

Want: EVERYTHING.

I believe a tri-fold will be necessary but the third fold could be close to the bottom of the shirt where it gets tucked in if you tuck in your shirts.

I'm far from being tiny so I know the above is true in my case.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I have used the Aeronaute and the Tristar PCB to house plus size clothes: tops and bottoms. The tops only need the sleeves to be folded on the side and the pants folded in two.

This is the method I have been using for dress shirts for ages and have never had a problem. You can obviously leave the ziplock bags and socks in the collars out but I find they help protect the shirts especially stiff collared ones. I just keep the sheet of plastic inside each folded up shirt, the plastic cutting boards I used are quite thin and light so the weight is pretty negligible. I have also experimented with another sheet of plastic over top and found it didn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    But what if we made a packing folder than fit the Aeronaut perfectly? I haven't actually tried this idea but wanted to run it by the folks here who know the bag.

You would need:

Large Aeronaut Packing cube
    Two pieces of cardboard or plastic cut to fit the inside of the packing cube.

Here how it would work:

One piece of cardboard/plastic would go into the bottom of the packing cube. The other one would be used as a packing board to fold shirts so they fit into the packing cube. The shirts would be alternately layered to maximize packing room.

When done, the second piece of cardboard/plastic would go on top of the shirts and the cube would be zipped shut.

Then, the cube would go into the center compartment of the Aeronaut and the internal tie down straps would keep it snugly in place.

Less movement, less wrinkles. The boards would keep the tie down straps from causing the shirts to bunch up from the sides.

What do you think? Theoretically, should it work?
    So....I tried this weekend, but it didn't quite work. I used a previously saved TB shipping box and used a mat trimmer to trim the top and bottom to 13-1/2" x 13-1/2". I used shipping tape to smooth over the edges to make it easier to slide out when being used as a folding board (which worked great, BTW). The problem is that the cardboard bent too easily when used for packing. You have to cinch the tie-down straps very loosely to avoid bending/creasing the cardboard and not wear the Aeronaut as a backpack. HOWEVER, I did not have any rigid plastic to try this with---and I think the plastic WOULD work.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    So....I tried this weekend, but it didn't quite work. I used a previously saved TB shipping box and used a mat trimmer to trim the top and bottom to 13-1/2" x 13-1/2". I used shipping tape to smooth over the edges to make it easier to slide out when being used as a folding board (which worked great, BTW). The problem is that the cardboard bent too easily when used for packing. You have to cinch the tie-down straps very loosely to avoid bending/creasing the cardboard and not wear the Aeronaut as a backpack. HOWEVER, I did not have any rigid plastic to try this with---and I think the plastic WOULD work.
    Makes sense and reaffirms my thoughts that cardboard wouldn't work (unless you had really stiff, thick card stock; I don't think corrugated would work since it is only structurally strong in one direction). I do have a few old Eagle Creek packing folders that don't really get used because they're too big for our current travel luggage, or get too heavy. One of them has a cracked plastic folding board. Perhaps I'll try just cleanly cutting it down to size and trying that out...
    Melissa likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Short Listed: Night Flight, Guide's Pack, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19, Daylight

Want: EVERYTHING.

A random thought, maybe two. In the craft/sewing section of just about any store you might find a plastic semi- rigid board used for cutting fabric with a rotary blade cutter. That might work. Or, a thin-ish cutting board for the kitchen section of about any store. I've seen everything from those with no give to the kind that can br rolled up.
    Just a thought,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Or, a thin-ish cutting board for the kitchen section of about any store. I've seen everything from those with no give to the kind that can br rolled up.
    Just a thought,
    Moose
    I was thinking along the same lines....like one of those cheap flexible plastic kitchen cutting mats! I'm going to pick up a couple the next time I'm out shopping at Walmart or Target to give them a try.

You might also try a shop that carries quilting supplies...there is a product that is used in appliqué and sometimes piecing called template plastic...it is lighter weight than the plastic cutting mats and it could be "stacked" to get customized thickness/rigidity. :-)
    Moose and Janine like this.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    You might also try a shop that carries quilting supplies...there is a product that is used in appliqué and sometimes piecing called template plastic...it is lighter weight than the plastic cutting mats and it could be "stacked" to get customized thickness/rigidity. :-)
    I think this might do the trick. If a single layer was a little to flexible, you could easily double or triple the plastic and find the exact thickness that gives you the protection you want. Just a little tape on the edges to hold the sammich together and you're done!

Or maybe sandwich cardboard between two layers of the template plastic? Hmm....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

[QUOTE=Janine;71851]I think this might do the trick. If a single layer was a little to flexible, you could easily double or triple the plastic and find the exact thickness that gives you the protection you want. QUOTE]

A yoga mat cut down would be flexible and not crease. Maybe just use the cardboard around the perimeter for stability if needed?
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Adding all the extra weight of thicker plastic or more cardboard is defeating the purpose--to pack shirts, without wrinkles, and without the weight of a packing folder.

My next thought is to put the shirts in a packing cube and then fill the cube up with other items like rolled clothes, to prevent the folded shirts from moving and causing wrinkling.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0