Like Tree16Likes
  • 8 Post By RhoFro
  • 6 Post By Janine
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Spoiled

Spoiled

I just received a pack today - for ruck events so not a Bihn. I just wanted to mention how spoiled I am by the quality of Tom Bihn products. I waited for this particular pack for 3 weeks due to backorder and anxiously awaited the UPS delivery. I have never said "Oh" in a disappointed tone when received a Bihn order like I did today. Clearly I had forgotten what life was like before Bihn bags and this was a healthy reminder.

#SpoiledbyTom
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Same here! I just got - and returned - an eBags travel bag. The price was about 25% what I would have paid for a TB product, but so was my satisfaction.

I ended up ordering the Aeronaut that I wanted in the first place, and my first choice color was available even though it wasn't listed on the website. You'll hear my squee of delight in Atlanta all the way from Lexington when my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut arrives next week. :-)

#HappyToBeSpoiledByTom
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I ended up ordering the Aeronaut that I wanted in the first place, and my first choice color was available even though it wasn't listed on the website. You'll hear my squee of delight in Atlanta all the way from Lexington when my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut arrives next week. :-)

#HappyToBeSpoiledByTom
    @Janine So happy for you. I think this was the (1) Steel Dyneema/Steel Aeronaut that showed up yesterday. See @markwill's post. (Background: he had bought a Steel Dyneema Aeronaut from the Tom Bihn Store back in May, and he and his wife decided to try 1 bag travel for their 25th Anniversary trip to Italy this fall. However, she was disappointed that the only Dyneema color remaining was Black when he started the thread, and lots of people chimed in with comments about the black
    Quote Originally Posted by markwill View Post
    Having places the order on Sunday, I did - as suggested - call Tom Bihn yesterday just in case something came up. Sure enough, I got a call back this morning saying that a steel (Dyneema) Aeronaut was available :) I absolutely love how they remembered my call and took the time to call me. That said - woman!! I called the wife and she said she's OK with the black over the steel. :) She's concerned about a "matching husband and wife" team walking through airports looking oh-so-coordinated!

I am still hoping some non-black (and, now, non-steel) Dyneema comes in before the end of August though :

Mark
    Have a great time with your new Aeronaut!
    Janine and eWalker like this.

Is it the same pack you mentioned in your other thread re: doing the goruck event? Were you disappointed about the quality? I don't have one of those bags, but from what I read over on the edcforums site, it seems to be a very popular bag.

Yes, I'm curious too, Rho. I've seen a few of their bags and even handled one very briefly - it solidly built, but was really heavy. I will add in the past I ordered a small carry-on bag from a Montana-based company and was not happy with how the bag was finished and the customer service response.

I will admit I've looked at more than a few bags and thought, "If only Tom Bihn made something like this!" I really admire TB quality and attention to detail.

I have recently gone sideways here too.
    I have needed a few bags that are more Tactical in design and have had to look outside of our fold but my experience has thankfully been exceptional despite my fears that it would be bad.

One bag is designed and made entirely in the U.S. and is from an entirely Veteran supported company,2 are U.S. companies but made in Asia and the last one I can not determine the manufacture location but is also a U.S. company.

So far I am really 4 for 4 as far as little disappointment with the end product!
    The attention to detail is a little different in general but it cold also be argued that it is better considering the bags intent too.

Communication so far has been minimal but frustrating with the 1 company I have had to contact so far but otherwise despite being spoiled here I am pretty satisfied and relieved by my latest choices.

What I think I have learned from this is that the Military and Law Enforcement markets tend to buy either really cheap and mediocre gear or extremely well made and thoughtfully designed gear and luckily I could find and get the latter.

Now back to more Bihn stuff!
    Last edited by AVService; 06-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.

I opted for the Max Falcon2 over the GoRuck (only black options currently available). Spec wise, it should have been everything I needed for rucking, and folks who have it love this pack - durable, indestructible, tons of features.

I'm not understanding why their use of 1050 ballistic material feels like cheap plastic vs Bihn's use of the same material. It must be the application of Teflon, I suppose.

I've looked at Mystery Ranch (probably the closest equivalent to Bihn for tactical, being 'high end) but their sizing isn't right. The Kifaru isn't well framed for load bearing. The Grey Ghost & Tactical Tailor are a little too modest on the features. What maker did you go with AVService? Still searching for something that doesn't look like a Jansport but can support the hydration and brick carry.

Name:  Falcon.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  91.9 KB

I'd like to return the Falcon if I can find another viable option. I've exchanged vs returned Bihn items before, but never had the Oh ;( experience. If there was a Bihn ballistic pack with a hydration tube out, some interior PALS for attachments and a little bit of Velcro for patches, life would be perfect! In the meanwhile - how about 1) a padded reflective pack handle wrap as an accessory and 2) Tom Bihn morale patches??

Having to shop outside the Bihn comfort zone reminds me of when I had to drive a sad little rental when my Armada when in the shop :)
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

The hydration thing really puzzles me....why not have that? It doesn't make sense, would add a ton of versatility.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0