• 4 Post By tdivcr
  • 4 Post By sheeshoo
  • 5 Post By AVService
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 5 Post By Janine

Thread: Portable Culture Club

Portable Culture Club

My first new thread...

I've been following the TB forums more closely lately. Who needs a marketing department with such ardent fans? It’s really great to see how TB enthusiasts trade tips, inform newbies, plan meetings in the park with Side Effects, even take some goodhearted jabs at fellow forum members. It’s like a big family.

I don’t want to cross any sensitive or territorial lines with this proposal, but I thought it would be fun if, obviously with TB’s buy-in, we TB enthusiasts could form some kind of, well, official-unofficial club. Call it the “Portable Culture Club” (Boy George! The 80’s! Yikes!)…whatever. TB could help out by designing and making available downloadable member cards to those who register and have bought at least one TB product. Maybe you would get one once you make your first purchase, if you want. More products, more recognition, like frequent fliers, only there are no tangible benefits other than being a card carrying member. No pleading for upgrades. Probably more like REI, but without the rebates.

Of course, there are many intangible benefits.

Okay, we are a diverse and eclectic lot, and some of us are probably a bit solitary by nature. At least I am. And true, the best calling card is to be carrying a TB product and recognizing someone else who is. But we are a community, sort of, and I just thought it would be fun to have something to show for it. Imagine you are out running errands on a Sunday morning without carrying anything TB (maybe a quick run to the market for milk or bagels, still in your sweatpants) and you see someone carrying a MCB, of course with a selection of organizer pouches inside. Rather than feel naked, you just flash your card. (A platinum card if you have an extensive collection like some of you, or if you are a volunteer forum moderator.)

There’s a lot to be said to let the community thrive organically on its own, but the club can be as basic as just having the card, just some recognition for all of our enthusiasm…and maybe some bragging rights.

What do you Bihnions (TBites? TBers?) think? Any interest? Am I crazy? Lonely? Starved for attention? Has this been suggested before and given the thumbs down by the community? Darcy, what do you think? Would TB go for something like this?

I'd love a TB T-shirt with a big ol' red airplane on the front. Will there be t-shirts? ;)
    so far - TS + AS Black Dyneema/Wasabi :: Cadet Black/Steel :: MCB Black Dyneema/Solar :: SE Black/Wasabi :: SS Steel & Wasabi :: CQPC Wasabi :: OP MULTI :: OW Wasabi :: Wanderlust Always
    future - Aeronaut and/or Aeronaut 30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi :: SCB Linen :: TB everything else.

I think we already have this and we are here right now!

Yes, but we don't have the tshirts!

I'm only going to buy a t-shirt if it says, "My other bag is made of Hot Pink Dyneema."

What does "Portable Culture" mean, anyway?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well, so much for that idea...

AVService, we are definitely here right now. I do like the idea of t-shirts though or some kind of paraphernalia. Fake TB stock certificates? Maybe a key strap is good enough.

Janine, the portable culture idea comes from the TB labels on some bags. My Empire Builder has one. See:

Tom Bihn Tags and Patches

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0