Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By saikyo
  • 2 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By RhoFro
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By Vecturist

Thread: Smaller Carry-on Sizes (United, Delta, American)

Thumbs down Smaller Carry-on Sizes (United, Delta, American)

Well...

American, Delta, United downsize acceptable limits for carry-on bag
    American, Delta, United downsize acceptable limits for carry-on bag*-*Los Angeles Times

Will Aeronaut still get through?

YES.
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9" / 555 x 355 x 230 mm
    Last edited by saikyo; 06-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Pilot: Black Ballistic Nylon / Iberian
    Aeronaut: Steel/Ultraviolet
    Stuff: Snake Charmer / Packing Cube Backpack

Those really aren't smaller acceptable limits. They always had 45 linear inches. They are now just making them exact to 22 x 14 x 9.

An Aeronaut will fit easily IF you don't stuff it to maximum capacity.

Of course, it's still up to the gate agent to enforce the rules.

At JFK, AA has sizers just before you go through security. If your carry-ons don't fit, you are sent back to the ticket counter to check the bag. George Hobica of Airfarewatchdog was caught with his wheeled bag that measured 21 x 15 x 9. That one inch got him sent back.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I have noticed that Calgary and Frankfurt are using their bins to check the length and width of bags(at least I think that is what they are doing). You have to put your carry on bag in the bin to run it through security. Also, istanbul and Nevsehir airports in Turkey do not require you to take your 3-1-1 bag out of your suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    An Aeronaut will fit easily IF you don't stuff it to maximum capacity.
    Since the Aeronaut is a soft bag, is there any value in using an exterior compression strap around the girth if it does gain real estate when packed? Say you jammed a couple t-shirts from the World Cup into an end pocket or top and you need to make it into that gate sizer. If used frequently to lash tactical backpacks, I wonder if it's worth traveling with a pair just in case. The internal straps only do so much.
    eWalker likes this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Here is the link to the TB Blog post discussing the changes (effective Mar 1st for United) and, more importantly, what TB bags fit:

United Airlines

I find the Personal Item size very tight - especially when you need to carry a larger laptop. The height of my laptop with extended battery is 10.5 inches - already bigger than the 10" limit! - don't even talk about a sleeve or some protection.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm flying Delta to the US next month, but luckily my rollaboard is still under the new limits. Just.

(I'm taking my old rollaboard in case I need to check it on the way home - I don't fancy subjecting my nice new WF to baggage handlers!)
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Not taking into consideration the size of laptops for personal items is ridiculous.

While many vacation travellers have switched to tablets, serious business can only be conducted on laptops, many times, issued by someone other than the traveller.

I don't think bugging business travellers, on a budget, is something they can afford to do.
    eWalker likes this.

I don't think the limits are anything new - with the exception of the personal item size. When I first started traveling for more than the family vacation, I can remember my ticket envelope giving the 22x14x9 dimensions for the maximum size permitted carryon. That's when I ditched my borrowed garment bag and bought a Patagonia MLC.

I will say this seems to be the first time I remember several of the big carriers seeming to make a concerted effort to crack down on big bags (despite seeing SW's reminders "Don't be a bin hog." I do wonder if this effort will fizzle out, if they'll train people take smaller bags, or decide enforcing this is too much hassle and come up with stricter rules. (I kind of hope not on the last one.)
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0