Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: A letter to the new gunmetal zipper

A letter to the new gunmetal zipper

Dear Gunmetal Zipper,

I know it's not your fault, but I really miss your predecessor, the dubiously flawed black zipper. I didn't mind that its black coating might scratch off. Believe it or not, it's okay for things to show wear. A few scratches on a zipper is like the way ages. It shows history. I liked that.

I liked the way it was sewn inside out, too. I know I could snip off your pull tab to make you less visible, but I'm not going to disassemble my bags to flip the zipper. I can obsess with the best of them but dude...do you know what it's like to try to remove black stitching from black trim? Not going there again(*).

I think I'll take the path of persistence. I email Customer Service every week or so asking about more Navy/UV options. I'll just tack on a comment about zippers. You know it's not personal, right? I just liked it better before you showed up.

Wow...that sounded mean. Sorry. I meant to say that I wish you hadn't come along. Erm, that sounds mean, too. Can I just say that I'm going to wage quiet war against your very existence and pray every night for the strength to destroy your dominion over my TB bags?

Yeah. That's more like how I feel.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Love,
    Janine

Ps. All you peeps who want to bring back the "Portable Culture" tags - I get where you are coming from. I never understood that line but I know what it feels like when something you like changes in a way you don't like. Let's have a beer and commiserate.

(*) I attempted to remove the waist strap from an old style Side Effect by picking out the seams, pulling out the waist strap pieces, and resewing them. I gave up after doing one side. Too...many...stitches.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I feel similar! My solar SE with the gunmetal zips is chipping, just like the black does. It's not a big deal, but still...it's just as noticable with the gunmetal as it was/is with the black. IMO the black is easier to touch up at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Ps. All you peeps who want to bring back the "Portable Culture" tags - I get where you are coming from. I never understood that line but I know what it feels like when something you like changes in a way you don't like. Let's have a beer and commiserate.
    lol I thought I was the only one who didn't know what Portable Culture meant!
    I miss the black zipper pulls too. They blend in with black zippers better. sigh.
    eWalker likes this.

I gotta say, I also miss the black zippers. I haven't decided if I like them sewn "right side out" yet. I can see the attraction to do it the other way, as there is no wear and tear showing on the zipper cover that way.
    eWalker likes this.

While I did like the way the older splashguard zippers were sown I do understand why they changed. As for the gunmetal pulls I really sort of like the way they look on my Pilot. Of course the Pilot is in the steel color combo, so maybe they work better than they might on another color.
    eWalker likes this.

I felt so guilty thinking I was the only one who really dislikes the gun metal pulls . . . They are so big, and they clack. I like the black; I can touch up the black. Black is polished and sophisticated. I miss the black zippers.
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Since I like gunmetal, I had an open mind re: the zipper changes. But then I saw photos of the gunmetal on actual bags. And the knotted pulls :-/

I'm so glad we got our bags when we did.
    2 Aeronauts, Synapse 19, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, hemp Swift + yarn stuff sack, Little Swift + yarn stuff sack, Travel Tray, 3D cubes, multiple packing cubes, Absolute strap, organizer pouch

I cant seem to find any photos of the new zippers...the right or upside down or flipped zipper...does anyone have a picture please? I was glad to get the old version of the Aeronaut with the waterproof guard showing..it looks cleaner and more uncluttered and modern to me...and the zippers are black too ...but I am sure that the change will be for the better of the design.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Yeah, we hear you: we were fond of the black sliders too and that's why we used them for so many years. But, they do show wear more than the gunmetal does (we've concluded this with lots of testing and experience). And when we made sample packs with the gunmetal pulls, we saw those were awesome looking as well. Different, yet still awesome. Most of us now prefer the look of gunmetal, though for some it did take a little getting used to.

Like some of the many changes our designs, materials and even our logo has gone through over the years, this one may just take some getting used to. And just so folks aren't wondering/waiting: we don't have any plans to change back to the old zippers. You should see the new Aeronaut 30 (and, shhh, another new design set to debut soon) with the gunmetal zippers -- totally amazing.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    I cant seem to find any photos of the new zippers...the right or upside down or flipped zipper...does anyone have a picture please?
    Here's a photo of the Tri-Star w/gunmetal sliders and sewn-right-side-up YKK AquaguardŽ water-repellent coil zippers.

Name:  TB0940_01b.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  77.0 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You should see the new Aeronaut 30 (and, shhh, another new design set to debut soon) with the gunmetal zippers -- totally amazing.
    Another new bag with zippers? Darcy, you are such a tease! :D
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I think that the gunmetal zippers look pretty bomb. Looking forward to getting an A30 and *maybe* some other new things? That is, unless, I die before they debut since it seems like an eternity away!!!

I like the gunmetal zippers on the black and grey bags, but on the others (like the navy shown above), the contrast is maybe a bit too high and the effect is thus a bit busy. I have an olive S19 with inside-out zippers and black cord pulls, and it does look very sleek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The new matte silver zippers are awesome!

They are longer which is wonderful for the times when zipping things in and out quickly is necessary.

It was quite dark when this afternoon, a line of storms, passed over my abode, I wanted to make sure that my Side Effect was within reach.

I had trouble locating a Steel Dyneema item because there was only a sliver of light coming thru, the Side Effect is also Steel but it has the matte silver zipper which caught that very sliver a light just for a moment, which was enough to make sure that my Side Effect was there.

I also took the time to admire the beautiful new zipper and read the YKK name.

We had two surprise tornado warning with sirens on warm, rainy but otherwise not strongly stormy days.

For people in the U.S in tornado areas, the weather service pointed out that any storm with enough rotating velocity can become a tornado and that even an F0 tornado touchdown can cause damage.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    I think that the gunmetal zippers look pretty bomb. Looking forward to getting an A30 and *maybe* some other new things? That is, unless, I die before they debut since it seems like an eternity away!!!
    We finally just settled on a name for the last New Thing to be named. The debuts aren't seeming that far away to us…. :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0