Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: A letter to the new gunmetal zipper

New side effect with silver zipper, old side effect with all black trim.

Name:  SE zippers.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  110.1 KB
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

So exciting!

Dear Maligned Gunmetal Zipper:

It is tough being the new kid on the block, I know.

But you are good enough, smart enough, and doggone it (some) people like you!

Change is hard, and folks were good friends with your predecessor, so they may take some time to warm to your charms. Don't let it get you down.

I was skeptical, too, but as soon as I met you in person, I realized how cool you are: you are bigger and easier to grip, and it seems like you will hold up better to longterm use.

As a bonus, you look equally understated and elegant with my Ballistic Steel WF and my Black Dyneema Pilot. (No, you aren't 'shiny'. Really.)

I know that your predecessor was pretty cool, too -- I like him a lot on my Tri-Star -- but you are the future, my friend.

Welcome.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 06-11-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Co-Pilot (w/Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Aeronaut30 (w/UV), Pilot (w/UV), Western Flyer (w/Iberian)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi), Side Effect (w/Wasabi)

I do like the Gunmetal Zippers so much. I find them beautifully and especially on my Aubergine SE it gives the bag that last touch of surfisticated so I am happy to wear it nearly on every occation.

I understand that some of you like the old style better. But I see no harm there Tom Bihn gives you all the options you might want. In all my Gunmettel-SEs there where paracord and thous plastic-thingis to build the old style. Okay that leaves the "slide" (is it called this in English? I just translated directly) in a muted silver but thous bags I have with the black Zippers are starting to get scratches and the silver is shining through. I think in the long run this new version (with mettle-pulls or paracord pulls) will look better.

Long storry short: I like the new version much better and I like that TB-Company gives the options they do. Who else would do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We finally just settled on a name for the last New Thing to be named. The debuts aren't seeming that far away to us…. :D
    Hey!

Can' t you make a game of starting some kind of countdown (no need to give us the numbers) by giving us tips, hints or clues about what is coming?

Just to keep our minds busy! :D

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    vivelly likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Hey!

Can' t you make a game of starting some kind of countdown (no need to give us the numbers) by giving us tips, hints or clues about what is coming?

Just to keep our minds busy! :D
    Absolutely not! You guys are too good at figuring things out. Next hints: the day before the debuts. Otherwise, it's just too risky! :p
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Absolutely not! You guys are too good at figuring things out. Next hints: the day before the debuts. Otherwise, it's just too risky! :p
    And what day might that be?! :P

...are we there yet? *whine*
    Janine and eWalker like this.

We finally just settled on a name for the last New Thing to be named. The debuts aren't seeming that far away to us…. :D
    I'm sure with all the preparation, with the mountain of back orders thrown in, things should be pretty busy, like a game of Diner Dash.
    But for the rest of us, it's more like the slow motion scenes in The Matrix right now lol

BTW, my orders all came much earlier than their expected ship dates, much thanks to all the crew for making it possible!

*begging tone* not even more zipper photos??? We'll take anything! The suspense is killing us!

Ok! So that is our clue!

The day before the debut, you give us some hints so we can spend 24 hrs in vigil making the world wide collective hive mind spin and buzz to put the puzzle together!!

That will be fun!! Looking forward for that!

PS. Will you give a countdown? It will feel like new year's eve!! :D

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Oh Darcy, you all work too hard. Next time, throw a few pics our way, take the staff out to dinner, and by the time you come back WE will have everything named for you! Easy-peasy. No need to thank us, we're happy to help.

Just my $0.02 on the new zippers... I think they look much better on some fabrics compared to others. Here are 3 of my cafe bags. The Plum and Cocoa ones have the new zippers, which I really like with these fabrics. Plum and Cocoa (and many other TB colours) are quite rich and deep, so they contrast prettily (IMO) with the gunmetal. I imagine this would be true of the parapack colours too.

I have to say, though, that gunmetal doesn't do as well with "busier" fabrics like Dyneema, especially ones that aren't Steel and Black. It can be a bit distracting. I'm also not sure if it would go that nicely with brighter Cordura fabrics. For example, I just got my Azalea/Sapphire SCB and I think that goes best with matte black zippers. But all things said, I'm happy with the changes.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  171.9 KB
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0