Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Suspicious one bag travel

Suspicious one bag travel

I just had to post this...we have a program here called Border Patrol. Twice while I watched it now someone got picked out and was extensively questioned, searched and drug tested because they had just ONE bag for a 1-2 week travel. :-)

Those were NOT Tom Bihn bags though...

And I am thinking.....when I go next time overseas...with only my Aeronaut...I might be comming across suspicious too.
    We should have a badge....so authorities can recognise us as "TB ONE BAG TRAVELLERS". (not to be confused with criminals...lol)

Yikes! How frustrating, to be penalized for being a good planner and light traveler. Maybe everyone should print out a "one-bag manifesto" or something to validate the philosophy. :)

Absolutely!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    I just had to post this...we have a program here called Border Patrol. Twice while I watched it now someone got picked out and was extensively questioned, searched and drug tested because they had just ONE bag for a 1-2 week travel. :-)
    Have they never heard of laundry?

I hope the TSA aren't suspicious when I turn up with my tiny rollaboard for a 5-night stay!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Seems many years ago (and maybe today as well) you were considered suspicious if you traveled with no, or very little luggage. It was outside the normal 50 pound 30 inch wheeled suitcase of the day so you have to be doing something neferious. Same was true with one way tickets.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I would LOVE to be questioned by border patrol!!! I would explain them about Tom Bihn bags and the advantages of travelling light..I can talk Bihn bags for hours! :-))) They would regret pulling me over..lol

A friend of mine had something similar happen - she was traveling with a change of clothes and a few necessities in a school backpack on a two week trip and got questioned by airport security. It took them a while to believe that she was traveling back home to visit family and had clothes at her parents'.
    eWalker likes this.

I often think "why does not EVERYONE know about these bags???!!" I was really a shocking example of accumulating stuff in my bag until it became a heavy chaotic mess. Forever looking for things. I am so glad its not like that anymore ( and seeing people travelling with mountains of suitcases, i never want to do THAT again) and it spills into other aspects of my life..like wardrobe and keeping house organised and living without clutter. Travel light through life..my new motto!

Another side effect of people not knowing TB bags is that in the supermarket they fill the big shopping bag with only 3-4 items to only a quarter because "otherwise Dear, it will rip!" They dont know what they are dealing with. :) Well we have to keep educating everyone I guess...:-)

In September of 1994 my husband (then boyfriend) and I went on our first romantic getaway, from Seattle to Victoria, BC. We took the ferry, and we carried only one duffel bag each. We had never visited Canada before, and were told we'd need our driver's licenses, but that was about it. We packed up some clothes, and because I'd been learning to sew, I wore my very hippy-earth-mama orange sundress that I'd made.

When we got across the water, they detained us for nearly an hour. We were 19 and 20 years old, we had only a few dollars in cash, and we each had one bag. Between that, Greg's ripped jeans, and my homemade clothes, they thought we were homeless kids coming to loiter on their streets! The irony (not lost on us) was that Greg was a software engineer and actually made a much better living than most people his age (likely better than the guards deriding our hippy selves). Yet, when we tried to explain that were neither penniless nor homeless, they wanted to know why we only had one bag.

"We travel light!" we said.

"Why don't you have any hotel reservations?"

"Because we were just going to walk to a nearby hotel that we thought looked nice, and check-in," we said. THIS bothered them very much, they couldn't believe anyone would do this.

"Why don't you have any cash on you?"

"We have a few dollars, but we were told it was best to get cash from the cash machines," we told them, which was true. Friends had advised us not to bother getting Canadian money in Seattle, but rather to just walk off the ferry and get money at the cash machines.

It was finally resolved when Greg asked what would we could do to prove ourselves, and the officials told him they needed to know that we had money and that we intended to leave. They walked us to a cash machine, he withdrew $500, and we pointed to a random nearby hotel and said, "We're going to THAT hotel, right now, and we'll check in and get a room. Will that show you we aren't homeless?" The officials let us go as long as we promised to do exactly that, which we did. It ended up being a really fun weekend, we had a great time. We didn't blame Canada - Victoria is a gorgeous place, and hey, if you're going to loiter anywhere, loitering there would be pretty nice, and we did look the part of shiftless youth. We still laugh about it, twenty years later.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

That's a hilarious story. Probably better that you both kept calm, and he didn't point out the disparity in salaries. That never goes over well :)

It's funny, because no one has ever asked me how much money I had when I was visiting a different country, beyond a line on the immigration form. I think it is taken for granted now that people withdraw from ATM's or use their credit cards; it seems so odd to carry much cash. And now that I'm middle-aged no one ever gives me a hard time. One advantage of age, I guess.
    Hollie and eWalker like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Funny and not funny (discriminating) at the same time...shows you never EVER judge a book by its cover..little personal story of my friend comming to visit me in my backcountry town...he is an Indian and we went to town where there was a sale on white shirts. He grabbed 10 of them, because despite his young looks he was a doctor on the way to be a professor and needed them for work in the hospital. When he wanted to pay for them the lady looked over her glasses at my friend and said "You sure you can pay for that?"
    I probably dont repeat here what I said to her. You find ignorant people all over the world.
    I think that TB bag people are not so much at risk at this stigmatising attitude, cause most TB one bag travellers here will look very smart with very smart bags too and very smart stuff inside. :)
    And as for the money...who in their right mind would carry all their travel money in cash? That is just plain crazy.

Hollie great you took it with humour! That could have spoiled your day otherwise...:)

I was once questioned for about 10 minutes by airline security in Germany before I was allowed to receive a boarding pass back to the States because, according to the security agent, I didn't have enough luggage for my 3 weeks of travel.
    Hollie and eWalker like this.

JLE
    This story should make everyone happy!

Just last week one of my best friends was detained in Toronto (en route to New York) because they felt his two overstuffed suitcases were TOO heavy given the duration of his trip.

It took some time for him to convince them that he proudly sets the benchmark for heavy, "just in case" travel. I couldn't contain my smugness as he huffily related the story!

hahaha...I rather be detained for too little luggage than for too much...:-) Could you convince your friend after that experience to try a TB bag next time?
    Snowboot...I think we have to spread the word about One Bag Travel...:-)
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    A friend of mine had something similar happen - she was traveling with a change of clothes and a few necessities in a school backpack on a two week trip and got questioned by airport security. It took them a while to believe that she was traveling back home to visit family and had clothes at her parents'.
    I had a friend that did some research and some math and come to conclusion (like many other Brazilians at the time) that air plane ticket + hotel + car rental + buying a complete wardrobe was 30% cheaper then buying the same items in Brazil, so he left home with only a small backpack planning to buy even the suitcase in his destiny.

To make things worst he is of Asian descent and was adopted by a German descent family. So there was a single young fellow with an Asian face, German last name, a Brazilian passport and no luggage!

He had a hard to convince security! What saved him was that he had planned ahead EVERYTHING he was was going to do & shop and had everything printed on his backpack.

And this kept repeating when he had to pay for his shopping... Thanks God he has a great sense of humor and thought that the entire thing was kind of fun... he even took pictures of it to show us when he got back!! :)
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-22-2014 at 03:51 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0