Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Suspicious one bag travel

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I had a friend that did some research and some math and come to conclusion (like many other Brazilians at the time) that air plane ticket + hotel + car rental + buying a complete wardrobe was 30% cheaper then buying the same items in Brazil, so he left home with only a small backpack planning to buy even the suitcase in his destiny.
    I wonder if destination matters? I've traveled in South America and have encountered people who fly to the US just for shopping and would do the same thing - no luggage out, max luggage on the return. They all always went to Miami. I thought it was crazy until my friend who lived in Lima at the time explained that they are doing seriously high-end shopping and that the cost of a plane ticket is negligible compared to the savings on luxury goods. I'd think that suitcases of new clothing and handbags on the return journey would be more suspicious, but I'm not a customs agent.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    I wonder if destination matters? I've traveled in South America and have encountered people who fly to the US just for shopping and would do the same thing - no luggage out, max luggage on the return. They all always went to Miami. I thought it was crazy until my friend who lived in Lima at the time explained that they are doing seriously high-end shopping and that the cost of a plane ticket is negligible compared to the savings on luxury goods. I'd think that suitcases of new clothing and handbags on the return journey would be more suspicious, but I'm not a customs agent.
    I would say YES!

For Miami as destination, not only luxury items... At first the main reason were electronics... Last Christmas, one of Brazilianīs top magazine published a article showing that was cheaper to go to Miami to buy one single XBox then buy it in Brazil.

But now days, many are travelling to buy plain simple casual cloths and shoes! Most of items are one third of the price in Brazil!

Or to think the other way around... You pay for your vacations with the savings you do on your shopping. Thatīs a math that many find irresistible!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-22-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    icebeng likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Wow - I had no idea the discrepancies were that high between Brazil and here. My Lima friend (a pale-skinned US expatriate) had me bring her giant bottles of high-SPF sunscreen and boxes of brownie mix, and my in-laws always brought towels to Germany on family visits in the 1970s and 1980s but in both cases it was a matter of availability (not that Germany didn't have towels, but I'm told that the US once had a thriving textile industry and that the quality was superior to what was available in Europe at the time).
    eWalker likes this.

Hahaha I love this thread! Funny and... not :) That got me into thinking.... Im planning a 2-week indochina thing on a 15-liter bag. I love my s25 but I think it will be an overkill :)

I have to say, whenever I see this thread has a new post it revives an unpleasant memory. *wry* Quite a few years ago, I was traveling with my then-boyfriend (now DH) to an Asian country. I was ten steps behind him and saw him walk thru security, but then unexpectedly I got waved over. I spent about an hour in a room with three security guys, being grilled about why I was in the country. (DBF was working in the country, I was visiting, we had been traveling around the region for fun.) I honestly think it was just because it was late (around midnight), and the security guys were bored. But I found it utterly nerve-wracking. When I finally emerged, DBF was completely confused as to why I'd disappeared. I never did find out what made them pick me.

All this to say that "suspicious" may be a totally whimsical thing on the part of airport staff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0