Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Nordic is fading out...

  1. #16
    Registered User taminca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    kkintea it is (in my opinion) the least exiting one: the PQBP for the Western Flyer. I bought it due to a discussion with moriond and bunchgras: Organizing the Smart Alec

    As I have the vertical Freudian Slip and the Smart Alec I thought it might be useful. I do not know if I would ever carry it as a Backpack on its one as I do not find it the least bit atractive. But it might have a good deal of practical value in combination and it was availible in nordic... I am sorry to say that the lat part of my "argument" had the biggest pull ;-)
    I feel exactly the same as you regarding the PCBP, Ilkyway!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

  2. #17
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    I've carried it as a backpack recently for biking and again for boating. I have yet to use it as a packing cube, but I did buy it initially for the TS.

    I find it's comfortable when used with lightweight items and not full. It is a tall pack, so perhaps that's why you are not impressed with the shape. Still, I think you'll be able to put it to good use!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

  3. #18
    Registered User Hollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    What is it!
    My one last Nordic item is the packing cube shoulder bag! :) I can't wait!
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

  4. #19
    Registered User Hollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Hollie I am waiting for one last nordic item. It should be here next Tuesday. I was planing to but a nordic "family photo" here: Not to rub salt in the wounds: but here is my Nordic family photo
    Oh I love your photo! :) On the next sunny day here in Seattle, I'll take mine out and get a photo of them all. I'll have to use the wide-angle lens, I bet!
    SusanM likes this.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

  5. #20
    Registered User Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    1,026
    This photo is not from me! Thous mouthwatering pictures are from ncb4. I just plan to chip in my picture when my last item arrived.

  6. #21
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    My one last Nordic item is the packing cube shoulder bag! :) I can't wait!
    @Hollie You will completely love your Nordic packing cube shoulder bag when it arrives. Seriously, I think the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is the most impressive of the limited edition 400d Dyneema products, and is much, much more usable with the slightly heavier Dyneema material.

  7. #22
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    My final Nordic item is...the co-pilot and it'll be here next Friday. It just shipped with my burnt orange S25. Woot woot!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

  8. #23
    Registered User Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    1,026
    Beside photos of Nordic, which I always love, I would like some real-life photos of burned orange. So if your time allows kkintea...

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    the Midwest
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Hollie You will completely love your Nordic packing cube shoulder bag when it arrives. Seriously, I think the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is the most impressive of the limited edition 400d Dyneema products, and is much, much more usable with the slightly heavier Dyneema material.
    After examining my 3 new PCSBs closely (Nordic, Black, and Steel), I'm pretty sure my steel one is made of 400d. Weird, considering that Darcy said that only the black and Nordic ones were made of 400d. I also compared the steel PCSB to my steel TT and it's definitely not the same fabric...the steel PCSB is definitely heavier like the black and Nordic ones. Weird, but I'll take it!

  10. #25
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    After examining my 3 new PCSBs closely (Nordic, Black, and Steel), I'm pretty sure my steel one is made of 400d. Weird, considering that Darcy said that only the black and Nordic ones were made of 400d. I also compared the steel PCSB to my steel TT and it's definitely not the same fabric...the steel PCSB is definitely heavier like the black and Nordic ones. Weird, but I'll take it!
    @Moosezilla I think you're completely right, and that you got lucky. I called the Tom Bihn number 4 times since placing my initial order to ask about the possiblity of 400d Dyneema in Steel for the PCSB, and was told each time that no, they were only making 200d versions. However, they said (when I called again after seeing your picture) that what probably happened is that the Production side decided to go ahead and make up some batches in 400d Dyneema Steel when the 200d Dyneema material wasn't available, but that was a reconstruction after the fact! I'm jealous! Enjoy your 400d Dyneema Steel PCSB.

    moriond
    eWalker likes this.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    the Midwest
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Moosezilla I think you're completely right, and that you got lucky. I called the Tom Bihn number 4 times since placing my initial order to ask about the possiblity of 400d Dyneema in Steel for the PCSB, and was told each time that no, they were only making 200d versions. However, they said (when I called again after seeing your picture) that what probably happened is that the Production side decided to go ahead and make up some batches in 400d Dyneema Steel when the 200d Dyneema material wasn't available, but that was a reconstruction after the fact! I'm jealous! Enjoy your 400d Dyneema Steel PCSB.

    moriond
    That's what I figured happened. I'm definitely going to cherish it and cuddle it and love it and squeeze it and hold it and pack it and carry it until I bite the dust. And then maybe be buried with it...

  12. #27
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    kkintea it is (in my opinion) the least exiting one: the PQBP for the Western Flyer. I bought it due to a discussion with moriond and bunchgras: Organizing the Smart Alec

    As I have the vertical Freudian Slip and the Smart Alec I thought it might be useful. I do not know if I would ever carry it as a Backpack on its one as I do not find it the least bit atractive. But it might have a good deal of practical value in combination and it was availible in nordic... I am sorry to say that the lat part of my "argument" had the biggest pull ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I feel exactly the same as you regarding the PCBP, Ilkyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I've carried it as a backpack recently for biking and again for boating. I have yet to use it as a packing cube, but I did buy it initially for the TS.

    I find it's comfortable when used with lightweight items and not full. It is a tall pack, so perhaps that's why you are not impressed with the shape. Still, I think you'll be able to put it to good use!
    I think the reason @Ilkyway, @taminca, and perhaps some others (including myself) are less enthusiastic about the PCBP compared to other 400d Dyneema limited edition products such as the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is that we are all enthusiastic users of various Tom Bihn backpacks. And, let's face it, bags that are designed to work primarily as backpacks are much more comfortable than bags that can be co-opted to be used as backpacks. So I almost always carry my Synapse with me when I travel because it's so comfortable and convenient.

    But I can imagine having instances where I travel more lightly and where having the additional structure of the 400d Dyneema fabric might help in this longer bag. For example I might want to insert my Dyneema Pilot with a few other light objects to consolidate my carrying. I agreee with @kkintea that this is comfortable when used with lightweight objects. I suspect that PCBP enthusiasts like @Lani could expound at length about situations where this bag is useful.

  13. #28
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    Hmm, insightful as always @moriond. I do not regularly use a backpack, but....the S25 is making it's way to me so I will get the opposite side of the coin soon (in lovely burnt orange).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    547
    Due to a new order plus a backorder, I was lucky enough to get two TB boxes today - one is the cutest little box, and the other is a medium "pizza box" size. I'm in accessory overload right now - long clear OPs for pens/pencils, double organizer pouch (very excited - I plan to use it for receipts), Nordic and Black PCSBs (the heft is palpable compared to the 200d), and a Nordic TT - this changed my mind on TTs. I bought and returned a UV one some time ago. Again, the heft and rich color of the Nordic is great. I would keep it just to look at it...but I do plan to use it.

    It was hard to wait for new product (and fabric?) announcements but now I've gotten to the point where I just look at what's in stock and daydream. I'm really hoping for orange Dyneema...and new colors of Little Swifts and Field Journal Notebooks. June will be fun to see the reveals!
    Ilkyway likes this.

  15. #30
    Registered User taminca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    726
    I tried so, so very hard to resist.... and actually held out for much longer than my TB purchase history would indicate... but finally ordered a Nordic/Solar MCB. It is too large for my daily use but will be perfect for daily sightseeing while traveling. And it is Nordic/Solar, after all. NOW I am done with Nordic purchases. (Exceptions will be made for anyone wishing to re-home a Nordic TS, WF and/or, after seeing @Hollie's photos in another thread, SA.)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0