• 4 Post By Emily Shor
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By icebeng

Thread: Tom Bihn bags as art

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

Tom Bihn bags as art

I know I'm not the only one who sees the clean lines, fabric choices, textures, use of space, and absence of fuss as art. And most people take better pictures than I do...please share your take on TB as art. I'll start

And

Happened last night as I admired my Little Swifts. They are so pretty!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Goodness - do you have enough of them? :)

I'll need to expand my collection before I can make such lovely arrangements...
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

dorayme
    very nice and very deadly lol
    your photos made an adult male consider getting a Little Swift (For only 0.5 seconds, I swear!) ALMOST.... lol

Do they have different interiors? You could showcase that in your next creation!
    Last edited by icebeng; 05-09-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    @dorayme and others,

There's a whole set of pictures that @Seikoguy posted to the Tom Bihn Anticipation Syndrome thread starting with his post #784 on 11-30-2012. These started on this page. That last link might not work for some TapaTalk users. Most of his shots were closeups of the fabric combinations and labels on bags he had chosen out as presents for different members of his family, but they prompted a discussion about TB products as abstract art.

moriond

When I'm not doing art photos, I store the shop bags in a media crate from Target. Still room for the Iberian on backorder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post

When I'm not doing art photos, I store the shop bags in a media crate from Target. Still room for the Iberian on backorder!
    @kkintea When I first ordered Shop Bags I used to try folding them up. I don't bother doing this any more, because they all get unfolded and used so often that it isn't worth trying to pack them away. The only one(s) that get packed away are the ones I keep stored in the right side pockets of my Synapses. And in these bags, to better fit the shape of the pocket, I first fold down the top by dropping the handles into the bag and making a fold below the "Portable Culture" or "Made in USA" label, and then I roll the bag up to store it. If I'm traveling internationally, the bag might get rolled around a Monster Outlets to Go Powerstrip.

On the other hand, it's nice to see these Shop Bags neatly folded away, similar to the colorful pictures of these folded bags in @dorayme's old posts:

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    My Ultraviolet arrived yesterday and I am ready to get groceries now!

I love these bags, they are some of my favorites, and combined with the Utility Totes of yesteryear they make a nice shopping complement. I am ready to hit the shops and get groceries for my family. All of my lesser reusable bags have been retired to be given away.

oh and I have determined, I need more Solar, more Ultraviolet, more Iberian, more Steel. Basically more Dyneema. This stuff is like crack for the bag addict!
    However, her pictures do not include the really cute dog that transforms your picture into a true work of art!

ETA: And you can probably guess that @dorayme's post was made before wasabi was available as a Dyneema color option.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-09-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Oooh, I have the perfect photo! I discovered that the aubergine/wasabi colour scheme perfectly matches my favourite silk scarf from Liberty of London...

(But for some reason I can't get the hang of uploading photos.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naraht/13590591974/

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    When I first ordered Shop Bags I used to try folding them up. I don't bother doing this any more, because they all get unfolded and used so often that it isn't worth trying to pack them away. The only one(s) that get packed away are the ones I keep stored in the right side pockets of my Synapses. And in these bags, to better fit the shape of the pocket, I first fold down the top by dropping the handles into the bag and making a fold below the "Portable Culture" or "Made in USA" label, and then I roll the bag up to store it. If I'm traveling internationally, the bag might get rolled around a Monster Outlets to Go Powerstrip.

On the other hand, it's nice to see these Shop Bags neatly folded away, similar to the colorful pictures of thes folded bags in @dorayme's old posts:

On the other hand, her pictures do not include the really cute dog that transforms your picture into a true work of art!

ETA: And you can probably guess that @dorayme's post was made before wasabi was available as a Dyneema color option.

moriond
    haha, yeah, none of mine are folded anymore. And you're right, no Wasabi, Nordic, or Black Dyneema represented in these pictures. As with your shop bags, they are in use so frequently it wouldn't make sense.

kkintea, your collection is very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Volunteer Moderator
    haha, yeah, none of mine are folded anymore. And you're right, no Wasabi, Nordic, or Black Dyneema represented in these pictures. As with your shop bags, they are in use so frequently it wouldn't make sense.

kkintea, your collection is very nice! Thanks for sharing!
    @doryame You're nothing if not a completist -- as well as being a Wasabi and general Shop Bag enthusiast (such sound judgement)! I'm still waiting for the Small Shop Bags in Iberian Dyneema that are on back order to arrive.

moriond
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @doryame You're nothing if not a completist -- as well as being a Wasabi and general Shop Bag enthusiast (such sound judgement)! I'm still waiting for the Small Shop Bags in Iberian Dyneema that are on back order to arrive.

moriond
    I also have the small Iberian on order :-) It's actually going to be the dogs' travel bag to match their citizen canine with Iberian lining. We are in a holding pattern waiting for Skookum Dog to come out with pint-size, so their other accessories are Lupine (also made in the USA, hooray).

Of all the bags, the Wasabi is in the worst folding shape. I've used it a lot. Also, it seems that the 'Made in the USA' bags are a little bit thicker. Maybe it's me. Anyways, I find the folded pocket shape is a great "grab n' go" and I can easily throw 1, 2, 3.... into my Little Swift that I usually take on errands, or Swift if it's a larger outing.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I also have the small Iberian on order :-) It's actually going to be the dogs' travel bag to match their citizen canine with Iberian lining.
    I haven't ordered yet but I am getting the same bag for the same purpose! The guy's CC is Cardinal/Steel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kkintea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    dorayme
    very nice and very deadly lol
    your photos made an adult male consider getting a Little Swift (For only 0.5 seconds, I swear!) ALMOST.... lol

Do they have different interiors? You could showcase that in your next creation!
    @icebeng maybe you should try one, they are ever so handy. Many male knitters use a Swift. Just sayin'

My linings are all steel. I think the brighter ones are nice for those who like them, but I actually prefer the LS with the original steel lining, they are so classic this way.
    icebeng likes this.

@icebeng maybe you should try one, they are ever so handy. Many male knitters use a Swift. Just sayin'

My linings are all steel. I think the brighter ones are nice for those who like them, but I actually prefer the LS with the original steel lining, they are so classic this way.
    No! No! No! LOL
    I'm still drooling after some bags for travel, adding Swifts/Little Swifts in would make my head explode :P
    But seriously, I did read many a posts raving about the Swifts/Little Swifts (very enabling), and can see how handy they are.
    They're just not for me though lol.
    And as for knitting, well..... lets just say that with the amount of (read lack of) dexterity I have.....
    I'm pretty sure most cats would be able to hack up hairballs that look better than what I can mangle up :)

Steel linings are nice! But I like it better as a solid color in Parapack or Cordura like in the Cafe bags rather than in Dyneema form.
    Except in the Aeronaut, the photos of the Cardinal/Steel is really attractive, but sadly no longer available. The Forest/Steel looks good too!
    And with more possibilities coming soon in the Aeronaut 30.... I feel my head exploding already :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0