Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: A smaller Smart Alec?

nice cord work.

i agree with a smaller version but i would like to suggest an exterior top zippered pocket. it is far more useful than an interior one. basically build the add on to the current one onto the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    @tpnl I was howling with laughter here (there is an expression like this in Germany not sure if it works in English)

I tried my FS in my S25 you are right it works but a smaller one would be a better fit and could be used in more bags as you have pointed out already.

Ilkyway
    Howling with laughter is perfect :)
    Fantastic pics ... such vibrant colors! The zipper pulls really make your S25 unique and special.

Agreed with everyone that a smaller Freudian Slip would be good. Actually, to save costs, even if they did a slight mod of the existing one - V2 that is just a bit smaller and perhaps with the corners clipped. I do not use the "corner" area - especially in top - so it would be a any loss IMHO.

Thanks

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thank you tpnl. I mentioned somewhere that for my own personal taste I had to "girl" my S25 up somewhat. It is so huge. But I love it!

Volunteer Moderator
    @ moriond: thank you for warping up all about the FS so nicely. The last picture is somewhat misleading because if the S25 is not too full so that the bottem of the Pack has some "give" left the FS does fit much better as this picture does lead on. But for sure a dedicate FS for the S25 would be much better.

As I understand your quote of Beau it is not impossible to come true. So let us keep the idea fresh in addition to mavericks new idea of a small Smart Allec.

That said I have to say something in regards of all the wishes I have and I read here on the Forum regarding Tom Bihn Bags: In my opinion thous must be a double sided swort to the Tom Bihn Crew: 1. They keep in touch with there customers and now exactly what they think about the bags. That is great for tweeking and becomming an even better company. But on the other hand it 2. must give the feeling about constantly unsatisfied customers who are always wishing for more and more. I think thous bags that do exist are so great that wishing for more feels a little childish. But seeing how nice the TB-Crew is (most displayed by all the answers Darcy gives to many of the questions here), is like blowing on the spark of ideas and wishes till they become a fire that needs to be announced here.

What I am trying to say here is: I am somewhat uncomputable to ask for even more and at the same time like that this kind of asking is not discouraged in this forum. I hope I put this right.

Ilkyway
    @ilkyway You're correct in saying that if you do not pack the Synapse 25 fully, it is possible to use the Freudian Slip (FS) inside that bag, especially if you are using one of the 400d Dyneema versions of the S25 where the "give" in the material will place even less stress on the top corners of the FS in a relatively unloaded bag. This is because the Synapse 25 is designed to "flex" and adjust the shape of the bag and its compartments according to what you are carrying. So if you do not pack the main compartment fully, the segmented back panel of the bag will accommodate a wider load, and the will not "flex" to curve around on the sides. And if the Synapse 25 is being carried, and not resting on the floor, as shown in my pictures, the bottom segmented panel of the bag will also not "flex" up as much. However, for general usage, and instances where you set the S25 backpack down on the floor, the pictures are meant to show why there might be problems trying to fit a Freudian Slip inside the S25.

I think that @tpnl put it best in some of his comments in other threads, that the way he got the best use out of his (different) Tom Bihn backpacks and bags was by trying understand the features behind each bag's design, and using that to guide his usage. (I'm paraphrasing this from memory.)

Overall, I think the process of communicating the features that we like best, and the new ones that we would like to see, helps the design process.

@ilkyway Saw the Synapse 25 pictures you were adding while I was still composing this post. The side and back views of the S25 show how the bag can "flex" according to load. The picture of the FS lying on the back of the S25 also shows the edge of the "bottom" flexible section that comes up when the bag is resting on the ground.

Great pictures!

moriond
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

moriond I did not want to contradict the photos only to add to them, I hope this gist became clear? You are totally right it is the flexibility of the backpack that allows to use the FS in it. But it is exact that flexibility that makes me search for a solution (we talked about this before).

I would love the two products talked about in this thread to become real. They would be a great addition to a gorges product line of Bags and Accessories.

Ilkyway
    tpnl likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    moriond I did not want to contradict the photos only to add to them, I hope this gist became clear? You are totally right it is the flexibility of the backpack that allows to use the FS in it. But it is exact that flexibility that makes me search for a solution (we talked about this before).

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway You're quite right: using the Vertical Freudian Slip in a Synapse 25 that is not very full, particularly if that bag is made of the more pliable 400d Dyneema, is workable.

I think that you also have the Pilot in 400d Nordic Dyneema. I can carry the Horizontal Freudian Slip in a 400d Dyneema Pilot that is not very full without issues, and in fact, this arrangement will keep an otherwise empty Pilot from sagging. The top edge sits under the top piping of the bag, and the bottom edge sits about 3-4 Dyneema squares away from the bottom edge of the bag, without stressing the FS. I suggested to @ncb4 that she could use the Horizontal Freidian Slip she had in the 400d Nordic/Solar Pilot she just ordered to carry medical report papers, and then pack her clothes in a Pilot Packing Cube also placed in the back compartment for combined Doctor's visit/Physical Therapy sessions. We'll hear how that works for her when her order arrives.

The Horizontal Freudian Slip fits nicely into the Western Flyer and Tri-Star, among travel bags (in addition to the comments @tpnl made about the Vertical Freudian Slip also fitting into the Packing Cube BackPack for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer, and as you will recall from previous discussions of fitting that model PCBP into the Smart Alec). The Horizontal Freudian Slip also fits into briefcase style bags like the Cadet, Empire Builder, Zephyr, and Founder's Briefcase, as well as larger Messenger bags like the ID Bag, Ego, etc. It's just slightly too large to fit into the (retired) Imago. There used to be an old blog photograph where Darcy showed one used as an organizer for stationary and pens tacked up (or suspended by its top handle loop) to a cork board above her desk. It sure would be nice to have a version of the Horizontal FS that worked all Pilots, as an easy way to transfer documents and papers. And, of course, I'd like to see the Vertical FS usable in @maverick's proposed streamlined Smart Alec, along with the Synapse 25.

moriond

Looking at those photos, it seems that only a pretty small modification is needed to make the FS work in the S25.
    They just have to lop off the corners, make the FS into sort of an octagonal shape and it should fit ok, while remaining stable for its intended original selection of bags.
    And not very big corners either, seems like 2" to 3" would do. Just a thought.

Edit: Just realized I was only looking at the Vertical FS, my suggestion would require more work in the Horizontal FS as there is a zipper involved. And in the case of the Horizontal FS, I'm not even sure if my suggestion will let it fit more bags.
    And just in case: This is a suggestion for TB to consider in modifying the FS, I'm not suggesting any DIY work here.
    Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for any damage done to any FS or their owners (whether psychological or physical) as a result of reading this post! :P
    Last edited by icebeng; 05-06-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling error, additional info and cheeky disclaimer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0