Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thorn
  • 1 Post By Ilkyway

Thread: Interchangeable fronts

Interchangeable fronts

Since it hasn't officially been released yet.....What if on the aeronaut jr, make the front interchangeable? The front panel could zip all the way on and different front panels/colors could be offered. They could have different pocket configurations, with and without bottle pocket, or upright bottle pocket and slide in bottle/shoe pocket. Straight pockets or diagonal pockets.

If not interchangeable, then what about some limited multi-color fronts? The current page for timbuk2 messenger bag is currently showing one with a front that has cordura red/maroon/black and looks really slick in person, better than it does online. What are TBs thoughts on non-single color outside bags? People like individualism and that could be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    What are TBs thoughts on non-single color outside bags? People like individualism and that could be an option.
    TB has a bunch of multi-coloured bag exteriors, though they're not all available all the time. I've just ordered a black/aubergine Smart Alec; the Swift is periodically made with different coloured sides, the ID is available with a different-coloured flap panel (currently only black/steel) and of course the Imago had a similar flap design to the ID but in some great colour combos.

I'm not sure about a zip-out panel - I would have thought that would be difficult (impossible?) to make without leaving a hole for rain to get in.

ETA: With the SA, you can also choose contrasting-coloured exterior pockets, customising the colour scheme even further.
    Last edited by scribe; 05-11-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

This could sound tacky... but....
    What if the strip outside the Ego could be used on other bags? It kinda fulfills thorn's want for individualism, but in a small way.
    Reason I said tacky is because that strip serves a purpose in the Ego, but might end up looking out of place in other bags.

For the pocket customization thorn is looking for, currently what I can see is, the Western Flyer is the only bag that offers that offers a simple choice between backpack straps and rolling luggage pocket. The Guide's Pack and the Smart Alec are the only 2 that offers different modular addons in different colors.

Not to be a wet blanket here, for all TB bags, we've seen that colors combinations are seasonal and it is not exactly possible to have all variations in stock or even in production, at once. The idea you're suggesting is good, but it kinda amounts to asking for a customized service and that would put a significant strain on the crew.
    Let me stress that I'm not against the idea, but it just seems rather difficult to achieve right now.

I think there are already many ways to personalize a bag. thorn you even started a thread on that. And some examples are the very beautiful flowers that dorayme puts on some of her bags or the individual zipperpulls that jujigatame put on his Brain Bag.
    Melissa likes this.

I'm not saying to personal a bag by the production process. I'm suggesting to make multi-color models so people who aren't inclined to personalize it themselves, can still feel like they have a bag that is personalized more. Not everybody feels comfortable modifying their bags. I've seen many websites offer one of a kind items and put them out of stock or remove them from the listing once they are ordered.

Ah! I think I get what you mean, was focusing more on yr 1st post, must have skimmed through your 2nd too fast.
    Using the Aeronaut as an example, do you mean like having the end pockets in 1 color, the body in a 2nd and the flap in a 3rd?
    It would definitely look more flashy, but I think it requires more work from the crew too.

Yes, it would simply be the same production panels but mix-n-match colors on the outside.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0