Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 2 Post By thorn
  • 1 Post By giuliof
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Mini Aeronaut

Mini Aeronaut

I'm sure that Tom already has a name for the upcoming Aeronaut junior, BUT I thought it might be fun to try and guess the new name....

Navigator
    Voyager

Any guesses...?
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

I'm pulling for mininaut or wingman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Wingman is already taken by an Aeronaut competitor from Timbuk2: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...-on-duffel-bag I actually own the previous model of this bag, which I got for a great deal because the Aeronaut was out of my price range.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Aero travel bag" brings up a lot also. Too bad, since it'd be cute to mini the name for the mini version. Maybe Naut??

Naut your average bag, by Tom Bihn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 04-15-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Aviator?
    Explorer?
    Jet-setter?
    Wanderer?
    Trekker?
    Last edited by Melissa; 04-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Sidecar
    Sopwith Camel for Charles Schulz fans
    Astronaut

Euronaut? Sized for European airline's maximum carryon size

I would vote for Navigator... An Aeronaut can be either a Pilot or Navigator, since Pilot is already in use, Navigator would be a good choice following the theme!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Miking, do you mean, that the Aeronaut does not work on European Airlines? All my research tolled it would work. We are going to Spain this autumn and I am so looking forward to seen our two Aronauts on the plain.

I think it depends on which airline. The budget airlines have lower size limits than US and transatlantic flights, e.g. EasyJet will only guarantee carryon of 50cm x 40cm x 20cm, though on less busy flights you can get away with another 5cm in each dimension.

I'm about to test those limits with my Western Flyer (traveling to Glasgow via EasyJet on Friday). It's 5cm under the guaranteed dimensions when empty, but it's hard not to make it bulge a little when you pack it. No way to I want to check my brand-new TB bag, which is why I bought the WF even though I already have a Tri-Star!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Compass (people forgot about this name from a thread 3 years ago)
    Nomad
    Drifter
    Astronomer
    Attendant
    Cruiser
    ?

I've never had any issues flying on European airlines with Aeronaut so far.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Miking, do you mean, that the Aeronaut does not work on European Airlines? All my research tolled it would work. We are going to Spain this autumn and I am so looking forward to seen our two Aronauts on the plain.
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I think it depends on which airline. The budget airlines have lower size limits than US and transatlantic flights, e.g. EasyJet will only guarantee carryon of 50cm x 40cm x 20cm, though on less busy flights you can get away with another 5cm in each dimension.

I'm about to test those limits with my Western Flyer (traveling to Glasgow via EasyJet on Friday). It's 5cm under the guaranteed dimensions when empty, but it's hard not to make it bulge a little when you pack it. No way to I want to check my brand-new TB bag, which is why I bought the WF even though I already have a Tri-Star!
    @Ilkyway, @scribe I think @scribe's comments are correct, and that the only issues may come up with a few budget carriers. The Aeronaut usually fits without problems in overhead storage. It will fit in under the seat storage provided the end pockets are not too full, so you can "scrunch" the bag a bit. You might want to read this old thread about how the Aeronaut works stored under airline seats (@scribe this will also give you an idea about how the Tri-Star works under seats with no A/V box blockages). I think the size/weight carry-on rules on some Southeast Asian carriers are more restrictive than for European airlines.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Aeronette?

No? Well, whatever it's called, I'll probably get one, and that's what I'll call mine!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0