Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Smaller sized body hugging bag

Smaller sized body hugging bag

I have this bag that I carry around on the weekends.
    Amazon.co.jp: GREGORY(グレゴリー) エバックウェストパック フォレッジグリーン 11310392: シューズ&バッグ

It'll fit a point and shoot camera, my 3DS (yeah I'm a gamer geek), pocket tissues, keys, a Kindle, and things like that. It's technically a waist pack, but I sling it around a shoulder and wear it on my back and it stays put and out of the way. I can easily slide it around to the front to take something out without taking it off. It's also handy because it stays on my back, so if I pick up my kid or something it doesn't fall down onto my arm or anything.

Another fancy pants bag with the same function would be something like this:
    thompson leather one shoulder backpack
    https://www.google.com/search?q=thom...w=1277&bih=916

I would love to see a Tom Bihn "man" bag like this. Something small, that sort of hugs your body and stays out of the way, that can hold not too much stuff but just enough to be useful.
    eWalker likes this.

I saw that, don't really like the way it carries... too purse like.

Okay so at 5:00 in this video I see some body hugging action going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLrr9q-feGQ

Almost looks too small there... or is that guy huge?

Wait but geez a ton of stuff fits in that...

Okay so I don't like the strap. Too thin. (Must resist.)
    Last edited by saikyo; 04-15-2014 at 09:34 AM.

There is really a shortage of guy oriented carry bags that are not too purse like. The Side Effect is great and has wonderful organizational capabilities for your stuff... and like most TB products it will hold way more than its modest dimensions would suggest. Naturally, the build quality is top rate too. An alternative source of bags can be found in the "tactical" products offered by a number of companies. These look more rugged (possibly too much so for some uses) and won't be mistaken for a purse. One manufacturer I'm familiar with is Spec Ops Brand... they make their military focused products in the US and durability is excellent, although the fit and finish is below TB standards. Their Pack Rat Organizer is 10"x7.25"x3" and has lots of internal organizational pockets and several carry options including an optional shoulder strap. A TB bag in this size would be ideal, however, the Spec Ops bag might work for your needs.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    I saw that, don't really like the way it carries... too purse like.

Okay so at 5:00 in this video I see some body hugging action going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLrr9q-feGQ

Almost looks too small there... or is that guy huge?

Wait but geez a ton of stuff fits in that...

Okay so I don't like the strap. Too thin. (Must resist.)
    @maverick (author of this video and many others for TB products he owns) is 5'8" tall. He also did a video and posted to the forums when the first generation Side Effect was released (made of Cordura and with attached waist straps). I have that version in Steel and Plum. If you want to see the older Side Effect on a bunch of other people, take a look at the Blog pictures of customers of Seven Skies Luxury Travel, who are all of different heights, but wearing Indigo Cordura side effects on their treks through Borneo. If you like that style better, as being less purse-like, I could probably swap you one of mine. I use the new style Side Effect far more than I did the original version, and I've posted a few pictures in The New Side Effect thread. I also posted about using a wider strap (with picture) in the New side effect color pairings thread.

HTH. moriond

I use a Lead's Pocket as a waist pack (backpack removable waist straps become the belt part).
    This works as a small sling bag as well.
    When I want a shoulder bag, I use the double Caribiner clips (or tactical T-links) and snap on my Absolute Shoulder strap.
    It is relatively slim as well and has build in padding to protect electronics. But, it may be too long for what you are looking for (about 12") - close to the length of an end packing cube.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I use a Lead's Pocket as a waist pack (backpack removable waist straps become the belt part).
    This works as a small sling bag as well.
    When I want a shoulder bag, I use the double Caribiner clips (or tactical T-links) and snap on my Absolute Shoulder strap.
    It is relatively slim as well and has build in padding to protect electronics. But, it may be too long for what you are looking for (about 12") - close to the length of an end packing cube.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    I thought of mentioning this option, @tpnl, since I also have the Lead's Pocket, but I think it doesn't have the "body-hugging" quality @saikyo is looking for due to its length and the way the interior is laid out.

So here's the Lead's Pocket huh?
    Lead's Pocket Comparison Photos

Looks like a handy bag, but a bit too thin for my use.

Japan is all about man bags. In the big cities you're away from your tiny apartment for a lot of the day, so you gotta bring stuff.

This one is a bit too large for what I'm interested in... but I like the style.
    ‚ィ出‚ゥ‚ッ›…ƒRƒbƒgƒ“ƒƒ“ƒVƒ‡ƒ‹ƒ_ーƒoƒbƒO【ƒƒ“ƒYƒoƒbƒO’ハ”フ】

Here we go. Porter. This stuff is super popular and I like the style.
    http://www.newbag.jp/site_data/cabinet/por822-06134.jpg

Here is another look-alike.
    http://img.ponparemall.net/imgmgr/57...dwin/ew402.jpg

Perfect size for the must-carry 3DS and other essentials. I want a Tom Bihn carry alike!
    Last edited by saikyo; 04-15-2014 at 09:10 PM.

saikyo

Given your examples, have you considered a Co-Pilot or a Ristretto (several sizes available) or even a Caf bag (Large, Medium or Small)? The Co-Pilot is horizontal in orientation and very useful as a EDC or small carry when travelling. You can also get it in very interesting colors. The Ristretto is vertical in orientation which is good for travelling in crowded subways, streets, etc.

Another option, though no longer produced is the Buzz Sling bag - Buzz - Laptop sling bag for the 15" MacBook Pro - TOM BIHN
    Here are some reviews:
    Tom Bihn Buzz Sling Bag Review
    http://the-gadgeteer.com/2004/03/02/...m_bihn_review/

You sometimes see them on ebay for sale. Also, perhaps someone is the forum is willing to part with their buzz in a trade or something.

P.S. concerning the Lead's Pocket, it can be pretty wide - it is wider than both the PCSB and the Side Effect. However, it is not as big as the other bags you have as examples.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-16-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

Not so interested in teh copilot or the cafe bags because they lack the body hugging factor. Don't like stuff swinging around because I'm usually trying to chase down my toddler.

The Buzz looks fun! Too bad it's not in production anymroe. Wonder why they stopped? It looks a little goofy with the waterbottle holder... but otherwise pretty cool.

I currently have a Pilot and Aeronaut btw, so I can imagine what the co-pilot would feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Not so interested in teh copilot or the cafe bags because they lack the body hugging factor. Don't like stuff swinging around because I'm usually trying to chase down my toddler.

The Buzz looks fun! Too bad it's not in production anymroe. Wonder why they stopped? It looks a little goofy with the waterbottle holder... but otherwise pretty cool.

I currently have a Pilot and Aeronaut btw, so I can imagine what the co-pilot would feel like.
    I thought the Cafe Bags have a waist strap. At least my LCB does. If you utilize that, there would be a nice tight fit. I use my waist strap on my Imago quite a bit.

If I expect a lot of movment (having a 5 and a 7 year old girl) I attach the bag I am wearing with one of the key straps to a belt loop of my jeans. It works best with the SE because that one is in size and weight best fitted for this but it works with the SCB as well. The bag will still have some range of movement so I can reach everything with the best convienents but it can't move too far so to get in the way.

There's also the Quick-Adjust strap for messenger bags, which looks like it might do what you want:

Q-AM Shoulder Strap - Quick Adjust Messenger Bag Shoulder Strap - TOM BIHN

and the 1" cafe/ristretto stabiliser strap:

http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0523.html
    Last edited by scribe; 04-16-2014 at 05:25 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Saikyo:

There is a now discontinued Tom Binh bag which might fit your needs: the Imago. You can still find them now and then on E-Bay. There may also be a replacement in the works, but for now, used is the only way you will get one.

I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    If I expect a lot of movment (having a 5 and a 7 year old girl) I attach the bag I am wearing with one of the key straps to a belt loop of my jeans. It works best with the SE because that one is in size and weight best fitted for this but it works with the SCB as well. The bag will still have some range of movement so I can reach everything with the best convienents but it can't move too far so to get in the way.
    I've done this with my SE, too! Works great!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast