Like Tree32Likes
  • 14 Post By Dreamer
  • 3 Post By kkintea
  • 5 Post By KatrinkaWinkle
  • 4 Post By Dreamer
  • 3 Post By terayon
  • 3 Post By Dreamer

Thread: Store Visit and my first TB bag(s)!

Thumbs up Store Visit and my first TB bag(s)!

First off hello!

I am so happy with my Tom Bihn bags and I haven't even had them for 24 hours yet! I have never purchased an actual knitting bag before today because I knew in my heart that I didn't want some trendy (fall apart) made in China fashion knitting bag. The one bag I had considered was heavy and I'm pretty sure could kill you if you fell on it wrong.

So about a month ago I started trying to nail down the color I wanted. Of course I wanted a color that wasn't available any longer, so I just kept thinking about it. Which led me to thinking about all my bags. I use a giant heavy awkward backpack for college, and a couple of purses- which have quality issues and don't seem to last or be quite as ergonomic and utilitarian as I am. I'm a quality junkie. I don't care about tags and labels and brands- I just want to use the heck out of what I buy and not have it fail after one season.

When I came to look at the Swift colors I noticed that there were...other bags too...after seeing the Ristretto which just happens to fit the exact laptop I have and also serve my school needs, I was certain I needed one.

Because of my trouble wondering if something better was in the works (waiting for newer models/colors), I decided to go to the store and choose from stock on hand and just get happy.

I walked into the Tom Bihn store, and was met with a view of busy skillful sewing experts making the very bags I was about to purchase. That made me happy. I like how open it is and how you can truly see exactly what sort of a company you're supporting.

I found the large Swift, and the Ristretto bags I had my eye on and then hemmed and hawed over whether I wanted my bags to match or not. Or if I should get the endangered Nordic. I finally decided that the navy with solar insides made me feel happy and I fell in love with it at first sight, so I got both bags in that combination. I added a pouch with two zippered compartments (Double Organizer Pouch I think it's called) to use as a flat wallet to clip into either bag. I also upgraded and got the Absolute Shoulder Strap because I'm small and tend to overpack so I wanted to be comfortable even if I was weighed down.

I packed my Ristretto for school this evening with my large 3-subject spiral notebook, my keys clipped to a strap, my ID, debit card, insurance card, and cash in the Double Organizer Pouch clipped to an O-ring inside the small zip compartment on the front of the bag, and inside that pocket in the built-in organizing area I placed a pencil, a pen, a highlighter, a compact, a small knife, gum, eye drops, and post-its. In the outer pocket that faces your body I placed a pack of travel tissue (allergy season!) and my small bottle of hand sanitizer. On the shoulder strap I threaded my Gerber multi-tool in it's black pouch. It looks very stealth and like it was made to go there. That is a MUST have item for me. I can saw a tiny tree down, perform small surgeries, and fix mechanical problems with my multi-tool. I never leave home without it. I may or may not bring my laptop to school- normally I don't since I just listen to lectures and then go back home. Right now my Ristretto is modestly packed with plenty of room for other things. I could easily take my medium stuff sack that came with my Swift and pack my socks I'm knitting along too. I have inside my Ristretto what I would say are the bare necessities for me. Feels light as a feather. Even when my macbook is in it it's quite lightweight which is a big change from my thuggish backpack.

I haven't gotten to pack my Swift yet because my cat came over right when I set it down and nested on top of it.

I am VERY pleased with my bags and for anyone who's on the fence about Tom Bihn- I can say that if you appreciate fine tools and high quality you've met your perfect bag maker.

Beware though- you will fall in love over and over again. I can't wait to replace all my bags with Tom Bihn bags.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 04-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Cats are attracted to all things TB. They're pretty intelligent creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bagaholic, too, and I am surprised that since I started using TB products, I have slowly been getting rid of everything else. The more you use their products, the more you realize how much thought and integrity has gone into them.

Mostly I use two Imagos daily - one in indigo for "play" stuff like my knitting, my Kindle, lunch, etc., and a black ballistic one for my MacAir and a few files. I used to use either a SCB or a MCB as my everyday carry bag, but lately I've been collecting Side Effects like they're jellybeans, and I drop whatever one I'm using that day into my other bags. For knitting or as a tote, I use Swifts. I think I'm up to five now, or it might be six.

I keep discovering ways to use other bags and pouches, and couldn't be happier. I'm settling into mostly blue/purple paired with steel as my neutral, so I have a lot in indigo, plum, turquoise, ultraviolet. My favorite interiors are wasabi and ultraviolet. Recently I bought an Aeronaut off a destash. It's indigo with a solar interior. I don't even like yellow, but of course I had to buy solar travel bags - yet another SE, a couple of cubes, and a travel tray. I decided maybe having something highly visible was a good idea when away from home.

Enjoy your new bags!
    SE: b-Steel Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Cats are attracted to all things TB. They're pretty intelligent creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hopefully my kitty pictures show up. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for the nice comments! I have already assessed my needs and added even more functionality to my lineup.

The Bags:

Swift in Navy/Solar
    Ristretto in Navy/Solar
    Side Effect in Navy/Solar

Things to hold things inside the bags:

Clear Organizer Wallet (for my essentials)
    Double Organizer Pouch in Navy
    Travel Tray in Steel (for yarn mainly- I like the idea that it creates a bowl!)
    Small Yarn Stuff Sack in Ultraviolet (for my sock knitting obsession)
    Clear Organizer Pouch in Pencil size (for my Ristretto for school, or to clip into my Swift, or into my Side Effect!)
    Size 1 Knitting Pouch (for my cable needles and my small crochet hook to pick up dropped stitches)
    Large Dyneema/Nylon Organizing Pouch (for my clipboard/knitting patterns/folders/documents)

The Side Effect was added because I watched the darn video! And I chose Navy/Solar because when I visited in person the color had a huge impact on me. It's so brilliant and cheerful, but also classy. I am not a yellow girl, and nearly got the Aubergine Ristretto with steel interior, but the pop of yellow got me. It's so unexpected, and it really does make it easy to see quickly what's in your bags. Navy/Solar as a combo was in stock for all 3 of my bags so that makes me happy too. I like mix and match, but there wasn't enough availability for me to mix without feeling meh about a few things.

I. Love. Navy/solar.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I. Love. Navy/solar.
    I posted a photo to the flickr group of my Swift all packed up, but was having trouble posting it here.https://www.flickr.com/photos/122819...5/13746231745/

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0