Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn Sighting, Orlando!

Tom Bihn Sighting, Orlando!

I was in Orlando last weekend - evidently so was everyone else - it was the Bayhill Classic, NCAA tournament, cheerleading competition, spring breakers and MegaCon.

MegaCon was great Friday & Sunday, but Saturday was apocolyptic with an attendence of 82,000 and a crush to get through the one entrance.

Anyway, I was out of the melee, early for time with Wil Wheaton when I saw the lady with the Tom Bihn Shop Bag go by in the Stan Lee photo op river of people. I was going to shout Hey, and flash my Synapse like a luggage gang sign but she was swept away.

God bless my Synapse. I covered 22 miles and never had a chance to stop for food or water any of the days. It carried the beverages & protein bars I packed and everything I needed to carry including extra shoes incase mine burned out ;)
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    ...flash my Synapse like a luggage gang sign....
    That made me LOL, literally, haha!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I
    Anyway, I was out of the melee, early for time with Wil Wheaton when I saw the lady with the Tom Bihn Shop Bag go by in the Stan Lee photo op river of people. I was going to shout Hey, and flash my Synapse like a luggage gang sign but she was swept away.
    Funny! I'm always on the lookout for other TBers, but found myself wondering what I could say or do that wouldn't lead another Tber to think I was out of my mind. Does this group have any secret handshakes, hand signals, or coded greetings?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Nice bag! is always a good opener :)

I, too, am always on the lookout for TBers but have yet to spot any. Guess I need to find more fun and hip places to hang out :)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Funny! I'm always on the lookout for other TBers, but found myself wondering what I could say or do that wouldn't lead another Tber to think I was out of my mind. Does this group have any secret handshakes, hand signals, or coded greetings?
    Some time back there was a thread discussion about a secret handshake, special pin for TBers only, special pouch and so on. I'm not good at searching but maybe moriond and those magic fingers...
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

It's funny--I have spotted TB bags on several occasions. Once, a guy in line at the Home Depot asked me if I was toting a Small Café Bag (I was) and we chatted amiably about how terrific TB stuff is. Once, waiting for a connecting flight, I saw a guy with an Empire Builder and we talked, too. One of my students carries a Synapse as an EDC--we've gushed about TB on several occasions. I know there have been a few more sightings, too. (Once spotting a Large Café Bag being used as a personal item on a plane--but the owner was several rows ahead of me, so no chat.) But then again, living in Seattle, I'm more likely than most to see TBers, I suspect.

Here's the thing, though. Almost nobody just buys a TB item randomly--it's almost always an act of deliberation. And once you get your ordered item, it's hard not to be super-impressed by the quality of design and build. So not surprisingly, TB owners are usually fiercely loyal and more than willing to talk to strangers about how much they love their TB bags. At least, that's been my experience.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I've never had a TB sighting, but I did get asked about my synapse once. I was getting some takeout at my favorite Iranian place in NYC (if you haven't had the ash reshteh at Taste of Persia you haven't lived), and the cashier spotted my bag and said "oh, Tom Bihn! That's a great brand! They're from Seattle, right?" When the conversation is not just about the bag but about the company itself, you know that there's a cult following.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Over ten years, only 1 sighting, and I live in Seattle! It was a plum SCB at Pike Place Market. Too crowded and crazy to do anything but appreciate it from afar. However, I have been "sighted" twice. I lent my husband my S19 for work, and one of his co-workers said, "Oooh, Tom Bihn" - much more exciting for me than my husband but at least he knew enough to tell me about it. Another time, my kids' pediatrician saw my SCB and said, "I have one just like that! It's a local company, you know." Yup, I know.

Volunteer Moderator
    The two most memorable Tom Bihn sightings for me were definitely -

1. The Tom Bihn Fest in DC some years back (it was a planned affair, but totally an awesome sighting).
    2. Last July, I was boarding a flight from FRA to IAD. Unbeknownst to me, a friend and his family were on the same flight and spotted me as I walked down the aisle towards my seat. He was carrying his Tri-Star.

I expect to run into feijai with his Brain Bag on the trails in the DC area one of these days...

I've had three Tom Bihn sightings, but was never bold enough to say anything.
    1. Flying out of IAD to SEA, saw a man with his family waiting for the same flight with a Brain Bag.
    2. On a bus in Seattle, saw a woman with a Side Effect and a whole slew of pouches (made me want a clear pouch for booping my card to get on the bus!).
    3. On campus at UW, saw a woman with an Ego (or maybe a Super Ego) while rushing to class.

All three times I had my Synapse 25 on me, too! Maybe next time I'll be a bit bolder...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    The two most memorable Tom Bihn sightings for me were definitely -

1. The Tom Bihn Fest in DC some years back (it was a planned affair, but totally an awesome sighting).
    2. Last July, I was boarding a flight from FRA to IAD. Unbeknownst to me, a friend and his family were on the same flight and spotted me as I walked down the aisle towards my seat. He was carrying his Tri-Star.

I expect to run into feijai with his Brain Bag on the trails in the DC area one of these days...
    The thread for the Tom Bihn Fest in DC (with pictures starting on the third web page.).

The was also the Summit of Awesomeness (as Badger called it) in Lexington, KY.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-29-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    taminca likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Some time back there was a thread discussion about a secret handshake, special pin for TBers only, special pouch and so on. I'm not good at searching but maybe moriond and those magic fingers...
    @Moose The original thread on Tom Bihn bag sightings was started by Darcy on their FaceBook Page, and by Katy in these forums back in 2011.

The thread: Secret Handshake? was started by gonty in 2010 -- he wanted to know, after making his first purchase, whether someone could teach him the secret handshake by which Tom Bihn customers could recognize each other.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-29-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The thread for the Tom Bihn Fest in DC (with pictures starting on the third web page.).

The was also the Summit of Awesomeness (as Badger called it) in Lexington, KY.

moriond
    Thanks, @moriond! I was wondering about that DC Tom Bihn Fest. The photos from both events are lovely...and it looks like a great time was had by all. Has there been any other Tom Bihn Fests? I think we need a West Coast one... Maybe California? Any Cal TBers out there game?
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Has there been any other Tom Bihn Fests? I think we need a West Coast one... Maybe California? Any Cal TBers out there game?
    @taminca There was a thread proposing a TB Meetup in Toronto, Canada last fall, but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0