Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

Ordering a TB bag -- ANY TB bag -- to "try it out and see if I like it" is a doomed strategy.

Once I have it in my hands, I have yet to find a TB bag that I do not love and simply must have. Even the Nordic bags that I originally returned, I end up ordering AGAIN once I woke up and discovered Nordic-love. And any bags that I return (mainly because I cannot afford ALL of them!), I do so with much emotional distress!

This lesson learned occurred to me (finally!) when the Navy/Wasabi TS was delivered by UPS an hour ago. Since TB is switching over to the new zipper designs on their bags, I wanted to "try out" the TS while there were still some with the old black, reverse zippers. But it was just so that I would not later regret NOT "trying" it out, I told myself. Surely, with the WF so perfect for my short travels and the Aeronaut equally perfect for longer travels, I have no need for the TS. And I was "trying out" a MCB anyway (before Parapack runs out!) so all it would cost is $10 to return the TS and I will never have to wonder "what if?"

Then I held it in my hands -- beautiful and perfect in color, design, manufacturing and function. And immediately started thinking about all the reasons I absolutely need and must have this bag. Enough said.

And I am keeping the MCB, too.

I must never, ever be within the vicinity of Seattle or I would be in so much trouble!
    Last edited by taminca; 03-26-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Is there anywhere that I can see the difference between the old zippers and the new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Ordering a TB bag -- ANY TB bag -- to "try it out and see if I like it" is a doomed strategy.

Once I have it in my hands, I have yet to find a TB bag that I do not love and simply must have. Even the Nordic bags that I originally returned, I end up ordering AGAIN once I woke up and discovered Nordic-love. And any bags that I return (mainly because I cannot afford ALL of them!), I do so with much emotional distress!

This lesson learned occurred to me (finally!) when the Navy/Wasabi TS was delivered by UPS an hour ago. Since TB is switching over to the new zipper designs on their bags, I wanted to "try out" the TS while there were still some with the old black, reverse zippers. But it was just so that I would not later regret NOT "trying" it out, I told myself. Surely, with the WF so perfect for my short travels and the Aeronaut equally perfect for longer travels, I have no need for the TS. And I was "trying out" a MCB anyway (before Parapack runs out!) so all it would cost is $10 to return the TS and I will never have to wonder "what if?"

Then I held it in my hands -- beautiful and perfect in color, design, manufacturing and function. And immediately started thinking about all the reasons I absolutely need and must have this bag. Enough said.

And I am keeping the MCB, too.

I must never, ever be within the vicinity of Seattle or I would be in so much trouble!
    I have been encouraged to visit the Seattle Store, because I didn't bring back anything from the first trip I took there, but the Lifefactory Bottle and small things like Keystraps.

I did try out every single bag, felt all the fabrics and was overjoyed with the interaction with the Lovely Crew including the Canine Contingent.

And I did have a list made for my next order.

But, being able to play with the Co-Pilot, I say instantly that it was the cutest thing ever and I could see myself collect all the colors I love, but...
    I first asked myself what would you do with it?

I learned with the Cafe Bag, that for me, portrait style bags are much more comfortable than landscapes style ones.

How much did I regret ever knowing about portrait style bags the day the Imago in Navy, Storm, Indigo was released?
    I tried for months to justify the purchase of that particular Imago: I can use it for yarn/needlework and library bag (I have Swifts for that); it is a gorgeous shoulder bag (I have Large Cafe Bags for that); it is a tremendous bike messenger bag (I bike with the Small Cafe Bag).
    I held steadfast until the last one was sold.

I usually save Hannukah, Valentines, Birthday, Anniversary gifts for Tom Bihn orders.

I am constantly planning how to organize the next order.

Unless a big Travel Bag purchase is planned (Aeronaut, Tristar, Brain Bag...), I strive to get one TB bag and a bunch of Accessories.

My main focus is always color then style and size needs.

I don't do the try it out strategy because, I would keep every single bag and it is just not feasible financially and space wise.

As you know, Tom always comes up with a spectacular design, every season and what The Crew makes is boutique quality.

It is made to be timeless and last.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-26-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Red face

Interestingly I feel just the opposite. I feel that i must try everything, and, have ordered most everything much to the chagrin of my patient, not fully comprehending wife. While I have kept a number of the items purchased, I suspect a count would reveal I have returned more than I have kept - not because I did not appreciate the beauty, design and merits of each bag, but rather because I decided that as much as I liked the bag, it did not fulfill a need for the bag or because functionally the bag would not work for me. It strikes me that if I cannot really use a bag, it is better to return it or sell it to someone who can use it. The cost of return shipping, I guess, is the price of admission to the fun house (and I mean this in the best sense of the words) of Tom Bihn products. This is a behavior I suspect will continue for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiegley View Post
    Is there anywhere that I can see the difference between the old zippers and the new ones?
    There's a picture of the 2 zipper styles on a Co-Pilot (old style) and Pilot (new style) in Pilot .

Tam, Your posts are dangerous! How seductive is this?!! Makes me want one, or two, or three, and I don't even find that the bag works for my travel style!
    taminca likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I first asked myself what would you do with it?
    I do too... the problem is that I can always rationalize a purpose for it.

I learned with the Cafe Bag, that for me, portrait style bags are much more comfortable than landscapes style ones.
    Just the opposite for me. Am waffling on the MCB because of the portrait style.

I tried for months to justify the purchase of that particular Imago: I can use it for yarn/needlework and library bag (I have Swifts for that); it is a gorgeous shoulder bag (I have Large Cafe Bags for that); it is a tremendous bike messenger bag (I bike with the Small Cafe Bag). I held steadfast until the last one was sold.
    Wish I had your willpower!

As you know, Tom always comes up with a spectacular design, every season and what The Crew makes is boutique quality. It is made to be timeless and last.
    Absolutely agree!
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Tam, Your posts are dangerous! How seductive is this?!! Makes me want one, or two, or three, and I don't even find that the bag works for my travel style!
    I just "test-packed" a business suit in the TS and have convinced myself that I need it for when I must present a more professional business appearance -- like speaking at a conference -- and don't want to crush my clothes into the WF and the Aeronaut is too much. Most of the time, business-casual will get me by but there are those more formal occasions.

And with the TS, I can throw in my workout shoes and clothes so I'll no longer have an excuse to skip my daily routine simply because I'm not home.

And I can toss in enough casual wear to go exploring or even stay an extra day or two (on my own time) instead of just attending to business and then flying home.

See? I can come up with loads more reasons... Eek! How heavy is this TS going to be fully loaded?
    -- David Whyte

Thank you, hamiltee! So the old zippers are the ones that basically looked "sealed", and the new zippers look more like regular zippers? If so, I *much* prefer the sealed look. My wife does too, she thinks it's cool.

Ah, I see what Darcy means about sewing the zipper right-side up vs. upside-down. And she's right, I've worried about abrasion on the urethane in my Smart Alec, since I open and close those zippers so often. Good stuff to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiegley View Post
    Ah, I see what Darcy means about sewing the zipper right-side up vs. upside-down. And she's right, I've worried about abrasion on the urethane in my Smart Alec, since I open and close those zippers so often. Good stuff to know.
    Yup, definitely good reasons for the change...but I find the old "sealed" look more aesthetically pleasing. Plus, I prefer the black zipper tabs over new gunmetal tabs. And it's not like all the TB bags out there with the old zippers are falling apart... so I'm just going keep this TS before they are all switched to the new style.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    There's a picture of the 2 zipper styles on a Co-Pilot (old style) and Pilot (new style) in Pilot .
    Great memory, @hamiltee! I was going to respond to @jwiegley's inquiry by referring to the photos of the TS vs the Aeronaut on the TB site. Your link is much more helpful and convenient. Thanks.
    -- David Whyte

Great memory, @hamiltee! I was going to respond to @jwiegley's inquiry by referring to the photos of the TS vs the Aeronaut on the TB site. Your link is much more helpful and convenient. Thanks.
    Well, great memory in that I remembered reading the post, but it took forever and a day to find it! You're welcome. :-)

That's the (dis)advantage of living overseas - the shipping is so expensive, I can't afford to order stuff just to try it out. In fact it's really only financially viable to place an order if I want to spend at least $100 and preferably more. Not that that's difficult, with so many gorgeous bags to choose from!

Now that I can agree with!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    That's the (dis)advantage of living overseas - the shipping is so expensive, I can't afford to order stuff just to try it out. In fact it's really only financially viable to place an order if I want to spend at least $100 and preferably more.
    I feel your pain! I never buy unless I am sure I will keep the item either. At least in Australia we don't pay taxes on shipments under A$1000, but that is a two-edged sword - I always catch myself thinking that to maximise the value of the shipping costs I should really ramp up the order. That is a very slippery slope since part of me thinks that a $999 order is the only sensible course of action! Lol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0