Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lesson Learned

Yes, the taxes on top of the order are a PITA - especially as UPS want COD and I'm often not able to be at home when the delivery is due! I'm not sure what the cut-off value is here, but it's a lot, lot lower than Oz.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I must never, ever be within the vicinity of Seattle or I would be in so much trouble!
    I will be in Seattle for a project week after next and just realized the TB store is at a midpoint between my hotel and the customer site. Alternating feelings of joy and terror....... :-)

Go for it. Bring a list. It is a small, unassuming showroom. You will not be overstimulated. It's very helpful to see and lay hands on bags, etc. that you've been pondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by datagal View Post
    I will be in Seattle for a project week after next and just realized the TB store is at a midpoint between my hotel and the customer site. Alternating feelings of joy and terror....... :-)
    Alternating feelings of envy (that you will be there) and relief (that I won't be tempted...especially since I will not have any money left after April 15th!).
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Is there a picture comparison of the two zipper styles?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Is there a picture comparison of the two zipper styles?
    Sorry, I don't know how to link to a post, so go back to page 1 of this thread, post #5 by @hamiltee and you'll see the link to photos of the different zipper styles.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Thanks! Thought I read them all, not sure how I missed that. I agree that the old style gives a much smoother look to the bag. Wouldn't the zipper showing allow water in easier without an overflap? What is the reasoning behind conforming to the masses? I thought the smoother look was a nice Tom Bihn feature.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Sorry, I don't know how to link to a post, so go back to page 1 of this thread, post #5 by @hamiltee and you'll see the link to photos of the different zipper styles.
    @taminca One way to handle this is to reply with quote on the post you want to reference, then copy the quoted post and paste it into your new reply, like this:

@hamiltee gave a link to the thread discussing new zipper styles:
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    There's a picture of the 2 zipper styles on a Co-Pilot (old style) and Pilot (new style) in Pilot .
    I pasted in the quoted reply. This works whether I am using an iPad or an iPhone, in the Safari web browser or in TapaTalk. If you are using a web browser (on your iPad or on your computer), you can either click on the link for the number of the post in the thread (e.g. #5 in the case of @hamiltee's post) to bring it to the focus of your browser (so the URL in the address bar now has the specific address of that post, such as Lesson Learned
    or you can just try to copy that link and insert it into your reply post like: see @hamiltee's post from earlier in this thread. I typed "@hamiltee", then highlighted those words, and clicked on the web-link symbol in the forum page reply field, then pasted the post's URL into the address field.

In Safari on the iPad or on the Mac, clicking on the red arrow to the right of the name that is quoted on the quote line that says "Originally posted by hamitee" will take you to the originating post. Simon (the support person for the forum web pages), has set things up so that pasting in either the thread URL or the URL of a particular post in the thread, will resolve to the name of that thread such as "Lesson Learned" in the Safari browser. (This doesn't happen for me in the TapaTalk app). You won't be able to tell from the appearance of the resolved link in Safari whether you'll be sent to the start of the thread or to a particular post. However, if you pasted in the address of a particular post, clicking on that link will take you directly to that post. This seems to also work in TapaTalk (though it didn't used to work correctly some months ago.)

Hope these directions did not sound too cryptic or confusing.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Thanks! Thought I read them all, not sure how I missed that. I agree that the old style gives a much smoother look to the bag. Wouldn't the zipper showing allow water in easier without an overflap? What is the reasoning behind conforming to the masses? I thought the smoother look was a nice Tom Bihn feature.
    Here's the post where Darcy first explains the change in the zippers and the motivation for it: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

From that post:
    First motivated by our desire to reduce the weight of our bags when and where possible, we realized that, if we sew the zippers right side up, we are able to save a bit of weight because we can utilize the woven edge of the zipper tape to finish the zipper seam, rather than adding binding tape as we did before. And when we made samples of the Aeronaut, Pilot, and other bags with the YKK Aquaguard splash-proof zippers sewn right-side up, we took note of how how much we liked the looks of them.

Sewing the Aquaguard zipper in right-side-up (or "teeth-side-out") also overcomes a minor disadvantages to sewing it in upside-down: mainly, the urethane coating on the zipper is no longer exposed to the elements and abrasion. We've found that when we sew the Aquaguard zipper up-side-down (coating exposed), there was occasional, minor shredding of the urethane itself, resulting in a minor change to the aesthetic though not impacting the splash-proofness of the zipper. Sewing the Aquaguard zippers in the same way as we would sew in regular zippers, right side up, puts the urethane coating inside the bag where it's protected, and also allows the teeth to expand, rather than compress, as the zipper rounds corners. Does it affect the water repellency? Nope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0