Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Aeronaut Junior, Where Art Thou?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    The Aeronaut doesn't fit in a CRJ overhead!? Crap...
    Dear dlg,

I have carried the Aeronaut several times flying up to Toronto aboard Air Canada CRJ aircraft. Here's a video of the Aeronaut aboard a CRJ.

This blog also mentions several forum members carrying the Aeronaut aboard various regional jets.
    With kind regards,
    -m
    Last edited by maverick; 03-31-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    dlg likes this.
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I would like one or two outside zippers that go all the way across. Then it would be easy to stick boarding passes or magazine in there. The water bottle pocket on the tri-star/western flyer design seems to be in the way of that. Super-quick access to a limited size water bottle seems odd, especially since many are in taller sizes now (mine from Thermos is taller).

While I'm on a request vibe, a shoulder strap gets in the way if they aren't being used. I thought of a way to make it not in the way. Put a clip on the left and right side of the bag, right side slightly offset from center. If you don't need it as a shoulder strap at the moment, take the right offset end, slide it into and back over the strap handle (which is much lower on the right side than the clip) and back onto the clip. Now you've just secured the shoulder strap to the outside of the bag, as one long handle for the long side, and one short handle for the right side. It is still easily available for strap use and not packed inside.
    I'm not following your instructions regarding the strap. Could you/would you post a picture when you get a chance?
    Melissa likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    If it is just a little smaller than the current Aeronaut, that would be great. TS sized, but in the Aeronaut form factor.
    Perfect!
    Tho ~I have almost given up hope. The hope it would be the Pilot took the wind out of my sails.......
    I agree with thorn - there are already plenty of personal size bags

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I'm not following your instructions regarding the strap. Could you/would you post a picture when you get a chance?
    There is no picture, it hasn't been done yet. As shoulder strap, clips to left top and right top sides looking at the bag from the front. It lies flat against the bag when the strap is folded over on the right side lower than middle grab strap.
    Last edited by thorn; 03-31-2014 at 09:31 PM.

The Aeronaut DOES fit in the overhead of a CRJ. I taker mine all the time in a CRJ from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I can fit in the overhead (I don't pack to bulging), but if there are too many overhead bags, I can also fit under the seat!
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I'm really digging the photo of the Loaded Pocketz Tri-Star under the seat in the blog section! No overhead needed! Could the side handle be less obtrusive when the Aeronaut Jr is made? The end handles appear usable enough and easy to grab. Make the main side handle more similar to those. :)

And another suggestion: make the shoulder strap clips hide-able like the backpack clips are when they are not in use.

Well, as long as we're talking about a new bag, how about making the shoulder strap completely removable so you can stow it away?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I would like one or two outside zippers that go all the way across. Then it would be easy to stick boarding passes or magazine in there. The water bottle pocket on the tri-star/western flyer design seems to be in the way of that. Super-quick access to a limited size water bottle seems odd, especially since many are in taller sizes now (mine from Thermos is taller).
    If you don't mind me being silly, I just re-read the Tri-Star description. I didn't realize the top zipper is tall enough for a magazine being upright. It still seems slightly cramped to me (just looking at pics) to try to stuff a magazine in that pocket with the bag full. Right now I'm using another brand bag (similar to tri-star, bigger, no longer in production) that has the longer zippers all the way across and it is really easy to put something in/out of them with plenty of hand room. Last trip I put boarding passes in the lower zipper and items I didn't need quite as fast in the bigger zipper. Worked well. I'd still prefer to upgrade to an Aeronaut Jr!

Well, as long as we're talking about a new bag, how about making the shoulder strap completely removable so you can stow it away?
    Monkeylady, that is where my suggestion came from. Most shoulder straps are removable with a clip on each end. My frustration comes with shoving it into the bag and it taking up room or wanting to use it at the last second to hike to the next section of airport, and having to dig it out of the bag and reattach it again. If it was somehow secured to the outside of the bag, it would be readily available when needed and not take up room inside the bag and not take an extra minute to dig it out and reattach it.
    eWalker likes this.

I'm in agreement with @monkeylady. I prefer a removeable shoulder strap, not a "clamped down" one. I just store my absolute strap in the same pocket as my backpack strap in the rare instance that I want to bring it with me and not use it.
    eWalker likes this.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Any pre-pics avilable? I like how the tri-star and western flyer look more symetrical than the aeronaut in this pic. I like the design of having a full-opening. Hopefully the aeronaut jr/cavernous-star will be similar instead of the clamshell.

http://www.practicalhacks.com/wp-con...8/DSC_1021.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    The Aeronaut DOES fit in the overhead of a CRJ. I taker mine all the time in a CRJ from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I can fit in the overhead (I don't pack to bulging), but if there are too many overhead bags, I can also fit under the seat!
    Good to know. I fly Phoenix to LA a lot and wind up on some pretty small planes like a CRJ-200. (If they're pretty empty I can almost pretend I'm on my own jet.)
    SusanM likes this.

There's already plenty of bags near personal size in the market. ze. It is difficult to find a slightly smaller Aeronaut though.
    I agree with you, Thorn, there are plenty "near" but none with all the right measures and more important none with the Aeronaut form factor. I mean, Tom Bihn has Pilot/Co-Pilot, TriStar/WesternFlyer, SuperEgo/Ego and so on, so I expect on the same line, Aeronaut/AeronautJunior!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Aeronaut Family

The Aeronaut is my perfect carry-on bag! I just love itīs form factor and like even better the (very well known) fact that it is the maximum carry on size!!

Name:  tombihn_bag1.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  20.6 KB

I can easily accommodate most of my needs using the packing cubes and a assortment of pouches.

Name:  tombihn-aeronaut-18.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  20.0 KBName:  tombihn-aeronaut-13.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  27.1 KB

But the Aeronaut is a bag made to carried and stored away.

Name:  _1010170.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  198.0 KB

So I also need a personal items bags that fit under the seat on flights.

Name:  photojes.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  35.1 KB

I am will buy the Western Flyer to fill the gap but will be still hoping that Tom will gives some serious thought about this new "Navigator" bag!
    Last edited by eWalker; 04-16-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Aeronaut Family 2

And since we talking about wishes...

I hope Tom will also consider making a "Steward" bag!

I love the form factor of Co-Pilot and I wish that there was a bit smaller version of it. Something like the size of Small Cafe Bag with the organization of a Lead Pocket that could be nested on the end pocket of the smaller Aeronaut bag.

Name:  guidespackaccessories_05b.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  79.6 KBName:  TB0201_12b.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  266.9 KB

It would be like a larger size Side Effect that would function as EDC on arrival.

That would be my perfect travel set up!

Aeronaut as carry-on / Smaller Aeronaut as personal itens bag / Smaller Co-Pilot as EDC.

On the plane that would be: Over the seat / Under the seat / Back of the seat (hooked with double carabiners)
    Last edited by eWalker; 04-17-2014 at 02:56 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0