Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Something's Different on the Side Effect

Something's Different on the Side Effect

Got my new Aubergine/Wasabi Side Effect last night and today noticed something different when I was transferring the contents of my Black/Wasabi SE that I've had since September of last year...

Name:  P1010518.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  259.7 KB

A closer look...

Name:  P1010539.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  316.0 KB

Even closer...

Name:  P1010505.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  344.0 KB

When did this change happen? How did I miss it? The dangling bits are so...chromy and shiny. A package of pulls in red and black (similar to those for the Pilot) was included, but what happened to the all-black look for the zipper and tabs? I'm keeping my Aubergine SE, regardless, but wasn't expecting this change so will need some time to adjust and absorb...

In any case, here's a group photo of the Black/Wasabi SE with (sigh) all black zip and pulls, Aubergine/Wasabi SE with shiny bits, and the various pouches that go into my SE, along with an iPhone in a cork case. This serves as my purse, carried alone or stashed inside my EDC Synapse 19.

Name:  P1010528m.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  316.6 KB
    moriond and Moose like this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Interesting. My new Nordic SE has the black pulls with the tabs, and my Aubergine (purchased the same day the new design was revealed for the SE) is the same way. I wonder if they are all going this route. I actually prefer the black with the tabs.
    taminca likes this.

Oh interesting. Yes, my nordic/solar has the black with tabs but on my older steel dyneema one, the paint is wearing off the black zipper pull. I wonder if this is to make the zipper pull age better? I'd probably end up snipping the metal pulls and putting in the corded ones.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Interesting. My new Nordic SE has the black pulls with the tabs, and my Aubergine (purchased the same day the new design was revealed for the SE) is the same way. I wonder if they are all going this route. I actually prefer the black with the tabs.
    I prefer that also. And the metal tabs really jingle! Even if I remove the metal pulls and replace with the black chords that are included, the zipper sliders are silvery metallic, not black, and might look even odder. Hmmm... What to do...
    -- David Whyte

Your aubergine Side Effect is really pretty! That ballistic nylon is very "rich looking".
    taminca likes this.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

Hmm. I like the black, less shiny bits better also. I think that taking off the metal pulls and replacing with the black cords would look fine as all the other trim is black.

Looks like the same zippers that are on the new Pilot.

I don't like the new zippers as well as the black pulls on the SE.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

I am really disheartened! Was on the edge of getting the Aubergine SE. My current Steel Dyneema SE has the old style black zipper with the cords.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I am really disheartened! Was on the edge of getting the Aubergine SE. My current Steel Dyneema SE has the old style black zipper with the cords.
    The Aubergine SE is still gorgeous, kkintea, so I do not regret the purchase. It's just those shiny silver zipper sliders and pulls. This is the first TB item I received that has the silver zipper parts instead of black matte ones. Will thread the included black pulls/cords through the tabs when I get home tonight and post some pictures of how that looks. I don't think I will remove the tabs (yet, anyway) because then I would have the slim, black cords hanging from the shiny slider parts against the black of the zipper, itself, making those parts stand out even more!
    Last edited by taminca; 02-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    Your aubergine Side Effect is really pretty! That ballistic nylon is very "rich looking".
    Thanks! I do love Aubergine :)
    -- David Whyte

oh, this is unexpected. I don't think the metallic looks bad with the Aubergine, because Aubergine is awesome, but I think I personally prefer the understated and blend-with-anything black pulls and trim.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I prefer the back pulls as well!! Just got a Ristretto the day before yesterday. It has the black pulls.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  477.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Melissa; 02-14-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Moose and taminca like this.
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer, AND Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

It looks like the parapack SE has the black pulls, judging by recent posts. If so, I might be swayed into the olive/UV camp over the Aubergine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    It looks like the parapack SE has the black pulls, judging by recent posts. If so, I might be swayed into the olive/UV camp over the Aubergine...
    I hear and second you, kkintea. Had the Navy Ballistic/Solar SE on my Wish List but am now eyeing Navy Parapack/Solar instead. Unfortunately, there is no Aubergine Parapack.
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0