Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Bags with dyneema linings - color review/discussion

Bags with dyneema linings - color review/discussion

In the "Tom Bihn News & Everything Else" sub-forum, lagolden and I wound up having threads we each started being combined into a "2014 Wish List" thread. Since December of 2013, people have been contributing their ideas on what new and/or improved products they would like to see in 2014. One interesting idea surfaced repeatedly in the discussion: there was a focus on interior dyneema-linings in various bags, especially the Aeronaut. People seemed very interested in dyneema linings of certain colors, both in terms of color-combinations and it terms of dyneema lining colors that would seem to better illuminate the interior of the bags.

The Aeronaut was a favorite subject for requesting interior/exterior color combos, but also there were specific requested simply to interior dyneema lining colors just for the benefit of making bag interiors more visible.

One of the most requested interior dyneema lining colors was ultra-violet. There are at least two photos on the Aeronaut product page's photo gallery of the bag having a steel (ballistic nylon) and/or forest-green exterior and an ultra-violet interior. These color combinations seem to work well both aesthetically (steel ballistic and forest ballistic seem to compliment the ultra-violet lining very well) and in terms of the lining making interior bag visibility easier. The number of mentions of "uv" made it clear (to me, anyways) that many of us agree "uv" makes an ideal, even preferred, lining color. Other dyneema lining favorites (discussed in that thread, as well as others) included solar, wasabi and iberian red.

My all-time favorite photo of an Aeronaut on Bihn's web-site would have to be navy-blue ballistic exterior and solar-dyneema interior. (navy/wasabi seems very similar) But steel- and forest-green-ballistic seem to go especially well with ultra-violet dyneema.

So here are some possible color combinations as I see them. For reference, all combinations are based on the Aeronaut, all exteriors are ballistic nylon (or maybe parapack) and all interiors would naturally be dyneema:

navy blue / solar
    steel / ultraviolet (uv)
    forest green / uv

And here are some possible color combinations that I have not seen before:

cardinal (or just red) / uv
    black / uv
    black / nordic blue
    cardinal / nordic blue
    iberian red dyneema / nordic blue
    nordic blue dyeema / iberian red

I wanted to toss out this second list to see what folks thought of these combinations, both aesthetically and in terms of enhancing bag-interior visibility. I admit I'm biased against steel-dyneema as a bag interior, if only because it seems (to my eye) the least effective in terms of lining color boosting interior visibility. (I do own a passport pouch made of steel dyneema, and I think the color would not be my choice for a bag interior.) These color ideas could also be superimposed over other Bihn bags, namely the Smart Alec, Side Effect, briefcases like the Cadet, etc.

I wanted to start this new discussion thread to focus in on this specific issue and start a new discussion on it. It seems some color combinations are available, some are backordered, and some simply aren't available. I hope this discussion gives the Bihn crew some feedback and ideas.

You thoughts?
    Last edited by MtnMan; 02-08-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I accidentally posted this message before I was done writing it.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I am 100% for Nordic as an interior color, especially if the outside was black or steel (ballistic or Dyneema).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    taminca likes this.

^ I just thought that up. It looked good in my mind's eye for an Aeronaut, but I also thought this combo would look great for a Cadet, Synapse, or Side Effect, to name a few.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

My favorites are or would be:
    Steel/uv
    Black/uv
    Navy/iberian
    Kiwi/anything
    I have a S19 that is plum/steel and another that is uv/steel. I have a S25 that is steel/uv. I'm seeing a pattern... :)
    Last edited by Moose; 02-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Black/Iberian and Steel/UV are my favorite combinations (luckily available in quite a few bags), but I'd love to see a sky blue dyneema for interiors - would go great with black, steel, navy, forest, or aubergine exteriors. Not sure how frequently new colors get introduced though.

Solar is definitely my favorite interior, and I would love to see it paired with black or black dyneema.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    haraya likes this.

Black Dyneema/UV anything would be an instabuy!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    So here are some possible color combinations as I see them. For reference, all combinations are based on the Aeronaut, all exteriors are ballistic nylon (or maybe parapack) and all interiors would naturally be dyneema:

navy blue / solar
    steel / ultraviolet (uv)
    forest green / uv

And here are some possible color combinations that I have not seen before:

black / uv
    black / nordic blue
    cardinal / nordic blue
    iberian red dyneema / nordic blue
    nordic blue dyeema / iberian red

I wanted to toss out this second list to see what folks thought of these combinations, both aesthetically and in terms of enhancing bag-interior visibility. I admit I'm biased against steel-dyneema as a bag interior, if only because it seems (to my eye) the least effective in terms of lining color boosting interior visibility. (I do own a passport pouch made of steel dyneema, and I think the color would not be my choice for a bag interior.) These color ideas could also be superimposed over other Bihn bags, namely the Smart Alec, Side Effect, briefcases like the Cadet, etc.
    Some of these are quite nice color combinations that you can see elsewhere. For Black/UV take a look at the current photos for the Little Swift. However, I have to down vote Cardinal/UV as a combination that doesn't work at all because the Cardinal (and even earlier reds like Crimson) are too much of a deep, dark red for the shade of Ultraviolet to work well. Cardinal does look good with Nordic, but it looks even better with the 400d Black Dyneema -- this is the counterpart to the color combination that all the fans of Black Ballistic Nylon/Iberian Dyneema like.

But, you all know that Cardinal has been retired, except for one final production run of Cardinal Aeronauts (currently on back order) that will use up the last of the material.
    Janine likes this.

I am a big fan of UV, anything with Aubergine, Steel or Nordic exterior makes for a gorgeous pair.

It also make things very easy for me to see inside of the bag, but harder for onlookers.

Another great bonus about UV is its soothing appearance, like the visual version of lavender essence.

I don't mind Steel interior, most of my Cafe Bags and Swifts have Steel or the discontinued Sapphire as lining.

I use a lot of UV accessories, they provide a great contrast with the Steel lining.

They even work inside my Small Nordic/UV Cafe Bag because there no need for digging, every accessory is right there.

Solar is gorgeous but too bright and doesn't match any outfit or yarn color, but, it is calling my name in a form of Shop Bags, so does Iberian.

In another thread, I expressed wishes for a pink and teal lining, I just saw the suggestion for a sky blue and I think it is great also.

I also expressed the desire for a purple and pink parapack.

While I find Black very stylish, I also find it less appealing than Steel which is much softer, as stylish and so very uniquely Tom Bihn Inc.

I love that most beautiful color in Cordura, Dyneema (in both exterior and interior color), Ballistic and even in the form of a small square of Parapack.

Again, Black or Navy in Parapack have shimmer and light bouncing quality but not as much as Steel.

I also love Navy Ballistic but the majority of people like it with Iberian which hue I find too close to vermillon, a true red much more than a deep blue red.
    But this attribute, being a light red, makes it a great lining color.

I just ordered two accessories in Iberian, their purpose was to be instantly spotted for a quick grab. Iberian is perfect for that!

Nordic is an exterior color only, I suspect because of its weight being twice as much as the interior Dyneema colors.

Bags in 200d Dyneema are really nice and I frankly cannot wait for a UV Side Effect.

I missed out on the Azalea and Teal Swifts with the new Black stabilizing lower part, which is now standard in all Swifts and Little Swifts.

The earlier version of the Swifts were almost as floppy as the Shop Bags which make them great for packing inside a Travel Bag.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-08-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Red Hatters in the forum, rejoice!
    Moose likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Also...

cardinal (or just red) / nordic

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    While I find Black very stylish, I also find it less appealing than Steel which is much softer, as stylish and so very uniquely Tom Bihn
    @backpack: you must be my long-lost TB twin! I couldn't agree more on this Black vs. Steel comment. I also have a lot of UV accessories... that work great with Steel lining... and a shared dislike of the blinding Solar lining (which is why I ordered the Steel Dyneema Pilot over the Nordic).

Now I'm questioning whether the crew looked at order history in dealing out forum gifts... I also got the Steel parapack!! Frightening or fascinating...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Solar is definitely my favorite interior, and I would love to see it paired with black or black dyneema.

You can see pictures from the Sid O'Neill's October 2013 Crate of Penguins review of the Tom Bihn Smart Alec in Black/Solar. That web page requires flash to view, so you can also see these pictures at his Flickr stream. These are some of the best/most detailed photos I've seen of the interior of the Smart Alec -- partly because there are so many photos taken at different angles, but also because the Solar interior makes it easy to see these details. (By the way, this web site review doesn't appear in the list of external reviews, even though the Tom Bihn folks retweeted the posting about this Smart Alec review back in October.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post

You can see pictures from the Sid O'Neill's October 2013 Crate of Penguins review of the Tom Bihn Smart Alec in Black/Solar. That web page requires flash to view, so you can also see these pictures at his Flickr stream. These are some of the best/most detailed photos I've seen of the interior of the Smart Alec -- partly because there are so many photos taken at different angles, but also because the Solar interior makes it easy to see these details. (By the way, this web site review doesn't appear in the list of external reviews, even though the Tom Bihn folks retweeted the posting about this Smart Alec review back in October.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0