Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daisy
  • 1 Post By jelt2359

Thread: Synapse 25 & Guide's Pack in Parapack, why the difference in weight?

Synapse 25 & Guide's Pack in Parapack, why the difference in weight?

In another thread, people mentioned a vintage drawstring bag design named the Ruck Sack.

I wanted to find out how big the Guide's Pack (another drawstring bag) really is. I decided to compare it to the Synapse 25 because both are made of Parapack.

Guide's Pack
    Dimensions: 21.5" x 12.5" x 9.5" / 550 x 320 x 240 mm
    Volume: 1900 cubic in / 31 liters
    Weight: 2 lb 8 oz / 1130 grams

Synapse 25
    Dimensions: 20" x 13.4" x 9" / 508 x 340 x 230 mm
    Weight:
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 1 lb 11 oz / 770 grams
    420d HT nylon Classic Parapack: 1 lb 12 oz / 780 grams
    Volume: 1526 cubic inches / 25 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

I do not have either bags, but I have many Large Pouches (fits U.S. or A4 letter papers or file folders): 14.5" x 11.2" (370 x 285 mm) to help me visualize dimensions.

So the Guide's Pack is only 42 mm (4.2 cm) taller, but it is 20 mm (2 cm) less wide and 10 mm (1 cm) thinner than the Synapse 25.

Since I am a visual person and a picture is worth a thousands words (or numbers), I thought of posting a blog pictures of Tom wearing both bags. There is a picture of Tom wearing a Synapse under the About Us title on the blog.

Introducing The Guide's Pack and Founder's Briefcase - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

I couldn't find a close up picture of Tom wearing the Synapse 25 which I find puzzling because Tom is usually the first person to model every bag.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-25-2014 at 02:34 PM.

I imagine the weight difference is at least partly about the internal "frame" structure in the guides pack.

Also i believe the base is ballistic nylon ....
    List under construction ....

The guides pack looks like it has a lot of non-parapack material- just like the brain bag, and unlike my synapse and smart alec.

Quote Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post
    The guides pack looks like it has a lot of non-parapack material- just like the brain bag, and unlike my synapse and smart alec.
    Your Smart Alec is in Parapack? How did I miss that? It's not an option on the Smart Alec page...
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Nope, my smart alec is in dyneema. I just figure: anything they replace with dyneema, they can also replace with parapack :)
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post
    Nope, my smart alec is in dyneema. I just figure: anything they replace with dyneema, they can also replace with parapack :)
    From your lips to TB's ears, jelt2359!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0